"Live from Adventure of the Seas"

Tammalee - We would have loved to have an earlier flight because we didnt get home until 11:pm and I had to be at work at 5:00am. What a long day because I worked until 3:30.

Bill, it was a real pleasure to meet you on the cruise. We did not have any type of issues on board. We had excellent service, wonderfull weather, fun excursions, and pleasant passengers.

I did expereince sometimes long lines in the windjammer because they did not always have every line open. We also had problems getting a seat in the windjammer mid-morning which is suprising considering that the cruise ship was not full. I heard that there was about 2200 passengers.

In the first seating dining room it was not crowded at all. We sat at a talbe of 8 and we only had one other person at our table. Alot of the tables around us were empty. Our server did say that they had to spread everyone around so each server had the same number of customers.

As much as I enjoyed this cruise I doubt that I will choose another Voyager or larger ship. I did prefer the Serenade cruise that we did last year much better. It had less children on board.

But, anyone who booked this cruise you cant help but have a great cruise!

Bysolow-we are going on this ship the 28th of Jan. Loved reading your review. You wouldn't happen to have some pics, would you? Also, if you were to chose one port that you didn't do any shore excursions, but you did explore shops and cocktail stores (hehehehe) which would it be?

Thanks!

Buyreallylow........I am considering booking this cabin in July but the most important thing for me is the balcony size. I assume there are a couple of loungers, chair/table maybe? now how covered is it?

My preference is an uncovered balcony so I can soak up as much sun as I can. I really don't want a cabin with a roof over the balcony. Please can you fill me in on this, or maybe if it is not what I am looking for, you are aware of a category that has a large balcony uncovered.?? thanks so much.

Buyreallylow........I am considering booking this cabin in July but the most important thing for me is the balcony size. I assume there are a couple of loungers, chair/table maybe? now how covered is it?

My preference is an uncovered balcony so I can soak up as much sun as I can. I really don't want a cabin with a roof over the balcony. Please can you fill me in on this, or maybe if it is not what I am looking for, you are aware of a category that has a large balcony uncovered.?? thanks so much.

We have never had a balcony in our 4 cruises that had an exposed balcony. They always have a roof - the highest floors always have area above them. We were on the 10th deck which was the highest deck, we were approximately under the outside covered area around the pool - approximately under the Ice Cream machine by the pool. No noise problem. The balcony was long (wide) but not too deep. Only the aft rooms gets the deeper balcony and some sun. We had two tables and two chairs on the balcony.

Hope this helps!

which has been enough time to (1) wish I was onboard! and (2) reflect on our trip. Here are our final thoughts:

The trip was wonderful! The boat is in great shape. Of course if you look hard you will find flaws, but I believe that is the case on every ship with the exception of maybe Freedom. But having only had one break since she was put in commission in 2001/2002, I'd say she looked fine - at least the equal to Radiance that we sailed on in January.

The Food was good. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post my opinion that the dining room is getting a bad rap by some when it is compared to the fantastic meals that are enjoyed in Portofinos and Chopps. The food in the dining room is still good - it is just not what it is in the specialty restaurant. Our experience is only since 2001, so it is possible (probable) that food was different in the past - but it was fine for us. If you think of the quality of a good meal at Applebees, etc, you are just about inline - the cruise food certainly has more variety, but the quality and presentation is about the same. The service in the dining room was outstanding! We only ate in the dining room on the three nights. We ate on Shore in Aruba, in Portofinos twice, and in the Windjammer once for dinner. I have no complaints.

The ports were nice. We had never been to Aruba, and although we did not tour the island (went to the resort instead and dinner instead), the island appeared to have promise. Curacao was quaint and wonderful in its own right, with the beautiful colors that now grace our wall (picked up a painting in a local gallery.) It has a beautiful port and is not a stop we will soon forget. We have now been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas a number of times, and have not tired of either. It is a good itinerary with the right amount of sea days for us (two) and interesting ports of call.

For us, the people and experiences are what make a trip - and this cruise was probably the best we have been on. As noted earlier, we were blessed with fantastic service in the dining room, our suite attendant, our concierge, and the NUMEROUS bartenders we had the honor of meeting during our trip. But it was really the conceirge and our relationship with her that opened the myriad of opporutunities while onboard. Because of her, we had the thrill of a galley tour, a bridge tour, and a invitation to a private party in an officers cabin with other officers and even the captain! It really gave us an appreciation for the efforts of these fine individuals. Having a chance to speak with them about how they decided on a career in the cruise industry made us appreciate them even more (heck, maybe our 15 year old daughter might decide to give it a try - for a little while). We were blessed to meet them all.

I could not finish this vacation diary without addressing the "Puerto Rico" situation. We had a large number of Latinos on board - along with 400 children under the age of 17. We did not observe any rude or obnoxious behavior from the children or the Latinos. What we did observe was groups doing the exact same thing we were doing - enjoying themselves! We observed a passionate, sensitive people enjoying time with friends and family. With so many of any nationality on board, you are sure to have the Royal Caribbean team adjust to make the group happy - and you saw that while on board. The Blue Moon lounge became a Latin lounge instead of a jazz lounge. The Windjammer was busier - Portofinos was slower. The pool area was not overly crowded - the chairs around the pool were actually open - the shaded areas seemed a bit busier than normal. The Solarium was not overly crowded either. Also the shows were attended less than normal. But I will never forget 500 + Latinos singing along beautifully to the guitarist on the Prominade playing a song that I do not know - but it was sensitive and lyric - it almost sounded like a love song that was some sort of classic (or maybe anthem). It was moving to us - we just stood in awe as they sang as one. So no complaints from us - we feel it was another plus for us to have the opportunity to experience their culture. I think most of us have been aware that people of all nations/cultures are onboard, but we have always thought of the ship as a "mini-U.S." I think it is a good reminder that these ships are not always that way. It was our honor to experience a bit of your culture (and that of our sweedish table friends) - thank you for including us!

I would get yelled at if I didn't mention the entertainment - it was pretty good. The Beatles Revolution and El Gaucho were the best - but we didn't see the last couple of nights of shows.

That's about it. As you can tell, we had a wonderful time. Our thanks to our good friends Scott and the NOW 40 YEAR OLD Amy for allowing us to join them on this trip. They are fantastic travel companions! It was a pleasure to meet so many wonderful people - too many to name here, but a special hello to Joe & Carol and Brenda and her husband (Sorry - I can't remember your name!!). It is the people and the experiences that make life memorable.

And thanks to you all - the cruise critic reader - for your thoughts, support and questions. You made logging onto the computer fun!

Until February aboard Freedom of the Seas... (should we do this live thing again?? )

BuyReallyLow (Bill)

which has been enough time to (1) wish I was onboard! and (2) reflect on our trip. Here are our final thoughts:

The trip was wonderful! The boat is in great shape. Of course if you look hard you will find flaws, but I believe that is the case on every ship with the exception of maybe Freedom. But having only had one break since she was put in commission in 2001/2002, I'd say she looked fine - at least the equal to Radiance that we sailed on in January.

The Food was good. I believe I mentioned in an earlier post my opinion that the dining room is getting a bad rap by some when it is compared to the fantastic meals that are enjoyed in Portofinos and Chopps. The food in the dining room is still good - it is just not what it is in the specialty restaurant. Our experience is only since 2001, so it is possible (probable) that food was different in the past - but it was fine for us. If you think of the quality of a good meal at Applebees, etc, you are just about inline - the cruise food certainly has more variety, but the quality and presentation is about the same. The service in the dining room was outstanding! We only ate in the dining room on the three nights. We ate on Shore in Aruba, in Portofinos twice, and in the Windjammer once for dinner. I have no complaints.

The ports were nice. We had never been to Aruba, and although we did not tour the island (went to the resort instead and dinner instead), the island appeared to have promise. Curacao was quaint and wonderful in its own right, with the beautiful colors that now grace our wall (picked up a painting in a local gallery.) It has a beautiful port and is not a stop we will soon forget. We have now been to St. Maarten and St. Thomas a number of times, and have not tired of either. It is a good itinerary with the right amount of sea days for us (two) and interesting ports of call.

For us, the people and experiences are what make a trip - and this cruise was probably the best we have been on. As noted earlier, we were blessed with fantastic service in the dining room, our suite attendant, our concierge, and the NUMEROUS bartenders we had the honor of meeting during our trip. But it was really the conceirge and our relationship with her that opened the myriad of opporutunities while onboard. Because of her, we had the thrill of a galley tour, a bridge tour, and a invitation to a private party in an officers cabin with other officers and even the captain! It really gave us an appreciation for the efforts of these fine individuals. Having a chance to speak with them about how they decided on a career in the cruise industry made us appreciate them even more (heck, maybe our 15 year old daughter might decide to give it a try - for a little while). We were blessed to meet them all.

I could not finish this vacation diary without addressing the "Puerto Rico" situation. We had a large number of Latinos on board - along with 400 children under the age of 17. We did not observe any rude or obnoxious behavior from the children or the Latinos. What we did observe was groups doing the exact same thing we were doing - enjoying themselves! We observed a passionate, sensitive people enjoying time with friends and family. With so many of any nationality on board, you are sure to have the Royal Caribbean team adjust to make the group happy - and you saw that while on board. The Blue Moon lounge became a Latin lounge instead of a jazz lounge. The Windjammer was busier - Portofinos was slower. The pool area was not overly crowded - the chairs around the pool were actually open - the shaded areas seemed a bit busier than normal. The Solarium was not overly crowded either. Also the shows were attended less than normal. But I will never forget 500 + Latinos singing along beautifully to the guitarist on the Prominade playing a song that I do not know - but it was sensitive and lyric - it almost sounded like a love song that was some sort of classic (or maybe anthem). It was moving to us - we just stood in awe as they sang as one. So no complaints from us - we feel it was another plus for us to have the opportunity to experience their culture. I think most of us have been aware that people of all nations/cultures are onboard, but we have always thought of the ship as a "mini-U.S." I think it is a good reminder that these ships are not always that way. It was our honor to experience a bit of your culture (and that of our sweedish table friends) - thank you for including us!

I would get yelled at if I didn't mention the entertainment - it was pretty good. The Beatles Revolution and El Gaucho were the best - but we didn't see the last couple of nights of shows.

That's about it. As you can tell, we had a wonderful time. Our thanks to our good friends Scott and the NOW 40 YEAR OLD Amy for allowing us to join them on this trip. They are fantastic travel companions! It was a pleasure to meet so many wonderful people - too many to name here, but a special hello to Joe & Carol and Brenda and her husband (Sorry - I can't remember your name!!). It is the people and the experiences that make life memorable.

And thanks to you all - the cruise critic reader - for your thoughts, support and questions. You made logging onto the computer fun!

Until February aboard Freedom of the Seas... (should we do this live thing again?? )

BuyReallyLow (Bill)

BuyReallyLow (Bill)

BuyReallyLow (Bill)

By all means, yes. Your "live" posts were wonderful. We are on the Adventure in March, and, because of your post, will visit the Flying Fishbone in Aruba.

BRL - Thanks again for your wonderful live postings, and now your final thoughts on what was a great cruise :)

We are on the AOS for 14 nights starting Feb 24th and are anxiously counting down the days. We loved this cruise last year and doing it all over again...........twice!

I had asked you in a previous post, and you may very well have answered.....but scrolling back would take too much time so I will ask again....what is a Kir Royale???

Glad you are back safely and look forward to your next Live posting from the Freedom :) :o

BRL - Thanks again for your wonderful live postings, and now your final thoughts on what was a great cruise :)

We are on the AOS for 14 nights starting Feb 24th and are anxiously counting down the days. We loved this cruise last year and doing it all over again...........twice!

I had asked you in a previous post, and you may very well have answered.....but scrolling back would take too much time so I will ask again....what is a Kir Royale???

Glad you are back safely and look forward to your next Live posting from the Freedom :) :o

We'll be getting off from a wonderful vacation as you board for one! We are looking forward to our first aft corner cabin and a week of sun in the dead of winter!

BRL,

Glad you are home safe and sound and thank you yet again for your wonderful reports. You did a great job and we all appreciate it. Will try to comment on our cruise 12/31, but will not be able to match your fine effort.

Thanks,

bobj

BRL:

Thank you soooo much for the play-by-play account of your cruise. We are on Adventure starting March 4 (ckrobyn's 2nd week).....your notes and comments have made us even more excited (and I didn't think that was possible!).

I also appreciate your views on the number of Latinos on board. Too many people have been seeing this as a problem. If you cruise out of Boston, wouldn't you expect a higher number of New Englanders on board? Or Canadians if you cruise out of Vancouver?

On our cruise, I look forward to soaking up some sun (with my high SPF lotion dutifully applied), experiencing cultures that are different from mine, eating new foods, hearing music I don't normally listen to, and meeting people I would not have the opportunity of meeting otherwise!

Here is what I picked up from a website.

This article deals with the beverage named Kir. For the biblical town of Kir see Al Karak.

Kir is a cocktail made with a measure of crème de cassis (blackcurrant liquor) topped up with white wine.

In France it is usually drunk as an apéritif before a meal or snack. Originally the wine used was Bourgogne Aligoté, a lesser white wine of Burgundy. Nowadays, various white wines are used throughout France, according to the region and the whim of the barkeeper. Many prefer a white chardonnay-based Burgundy, such as Chablis.

It is named after Félix Kir (1876 - 1968), mayor of Dijon in Burgundy, who as a pioneer of the twinning movement in the aftermath of the Second World War popularized the drink by offering it at receptions to visiting delegations. Besides treating his international guests well, he was also promoting two vital economic products of the region.

Following the commercial development of crème de cassis in 1841 the cocktail became a popular regional café drink under the name of blanc-cass, but has since become inextricably linked internationally with the name of Mayor Kir. When ordering a kir, waiters in France now normally ask whether you want it made with cassis (blackcurrant), mûre (blackberry) or pèche (peach).

Besides the basic kir, a number of variations exist:

• Kir Royale - made with champagne
  • Kir Pétillant made with sparkling wine
  • Cardinal - made with red wine instead of white
  • Kir Imperial - made with raspberry liqueur instead of cassis, and champagne
  • Kir Normand - made with Normandy cider instead of wine.
  • Kir Breton - made with cider from Brittany instead of wine.
  • Cidre Royal - made with cider instead of wine, with a measure of calvados added.

Young American bartenders are increasingly (and mistakenly) using Chambord when one orders a Kir Royale, so it is important to specify that you want it with crème de cassis.

For my DW and I, it is our favorite nightcap. I would first get it at the Champagne Bar, since they are most used to making it. If you like it, then experiment with it on other parts of the ship. Also remember that in the Champagne Bar you can a 10 drink pass (for that Bar only) for a bit over $40 which saves you a bit - $4 per drink vs. $7.

Hope this helps!

BRL

Greetings Adventure of the Seas Cruisers:

We were on the Adventure for Thanksgiving. Full ship, over 600 hundred children and about 80% Latino. I want to echo BRL comments regarding the Adventure, it was a great cruise, it’s still a great ship and the service was in my opinion second only to the Brilliance!!! I would highly recommend this cruise to anyone. We’re cruising with BRL on the Freedom in Feb and I’m looking forward to meeting him.

Izzy

NCL 7-82

Radiance of the Seas Feb ‘03

Adventure of the Seas Feb ‘04

m.s. Statendam. Alaska May ‘04

Explorer of the Seas Dec ‘04

Mariner of the Seas May ‘05

Navigator of the Seas Nov ‘05

Brilliance of the Seas Panama Canal Feb ‘06

Jewel of the Seas Baltic Sea Aug ‘06

Adventure of the Seas Nov ‘06

Freedom of the Seas Feb ‘07

Serenade of the Seas Alaska Sept ‘07

Jewel of the Seas Nov ‘07

I thought Royal Caribbean had done away with those drink cards altogether... nice to know they still have them in the Champagne Bar, which I love anyway. Thanks for your "travel guide" expertise. I sent a link to this thread to all who are crusing with us on AOS in March 2008, since we are doing the same itinerary. Your observations really give everyone a good idea of what to look forward to.

We'll be getting off from a wonderful vacation as you board for one! We are looking forward to our first aft corner cabin and a week of sun in the dead of winter!

Shanafan - we can wave to eachother! :)

Keep the ship in good shape for me, okay?? Have a fabulous cruise!

Here is what I picked up from a website.

This article deals with the beverage named Kir. For the biblical town of Kir see Al Karak.

Kir is a cocktail made with a measure of crème de cassis (blackcurrant liquor) topped up with white wine.

In France it is usually drunk as an apéritif before a meal or snack. Originally the wine used was Bourgogne Aligoté, a lesser white wine of Burgundy. Nowadays, various white wines are used throughout France, according to the region and the whim of the barkeeper. Many prefer a white chardonnay-based Burgundy, such as Chablis.

It is named after Félix Kir (1876 - 1968), mayor of Dijon in Burgundy, who as a pioneer of the twinning movement in the aftermath of the Second World War popularized the drink by offering it at receptions to visiting delegations. Besides treating his international guests well, he was also promoting two vital economic products of the region.

Following the commercial development of crème de cassis in 1841 the cocktail became a popular regional café drink under the name of blanc-cass, but has since become inextricably linked internationally with the name of Mayor Kir. When ordering a kir, waiters in France now normally ask whether you want it made with cassis (blackcurrant), mûre (blackberry) or pèche (peach).

Besides the basic kir, a number of variations exist:

• Kir Royale - made with champagne
  • Kir Pétillant made with sparkling wine
  • Cardinal - made with red wine instead of white
  • Kir Imperial - made with raspberry liqueur instead of cassis, and champagne
  • Kir Normand - made with Normandy cider instead of wine.
  • Kir Breton - made with cider from Brittany instead of wine.
  • Cidre Royal - made with cider instead of wine, with a measure of calvados added.

Young American bartenders are increasingly (and mistakenly) using Chambord when one orders a Kir Royale, so it is important to specify that you want it with crème de cassis.

For my DW and I, it is our favorite nightcap. I would first get it at the Champagne Bar, since they are most used to making it. If you like it, then experiment with it on other parts of the ship. Also remember that in the Champagne Bar you can a 10 drink pass (for that Bar only) for a bit over $40 which saves you a bit - $4 per drink vs. $7.

Hope this helps!

BRL

Do you have to get that drink pass the first day? and do you get it right at the Champagne Bar? And I am assuming you can get anything at the Champagne Bar not just Champagne? Right?

Answers for Scher:

Nope, the sign was up all cruise long in the Champagne Bar. I assume it is for any Champagne drink in the bar - I don't believe it is good for mixed drinks like Gin/Tonic, etc. But there have been other threads on this - we only enjoyed the same drink (over and over and over....):p

Hi BuyReallyLow

Sorry we missed your disembarkation ! ! ! We were onboard at 11:30 and at the pool bar by noon. Thanks so much for the day by day. We had a fantastic time. The ship is truly in great shape. The crew was fantastic. Our waiter was great, room steward always had a lovely smile, and Antonio and Johnson at the pool bar were always ready and waiting for us with a smile and a beer :p

We were on the 11/5 sailing and just the other day my husband (who doesn't love or hate cruises...I am the one who loves them) said, "you know, we should do that same cruise about every other year and just make it a regular thing". :) Didn't get many arguments from me (other than I would might doing it EVERY year. ;)

It is a lovely cruise with lovely ports and great weather. Sure, there are things that are not perfect, but who cares. We had great service in the dining room including our head waiter going up to Portofinos to get me the Caprese salad because I was talking about how much I loved it. So, without asking, here he comes with one. :) We found the staff to be wonderful without being overbearing and really had no problems. now if I could just convince Dh to go to Alaska this summer.....hmmm

Archived