Requesting an ANIMATED server for dinner

Cinderelli

Has anyone ever requested an animated server for dinner? A good server can make or break your meal-time experience, and knowing our family of fun-loving, gregarious people, we want to be with a team who will have fun. Can you request that from your PVP?

Thanks!

:o

Cinderelli, I think all cruisers would love to have that! But I really think it is the luck of the draw... I don't know that it is logistically possible. If everyone started requesting this, there would be alot of people out of jobs, LOL... Now, if you don't like your waiter, you can asked to be moved and hope to be moved to a better waiters table... but I would only do that if he was a horrible waiter, no simply because he was not entertaining...

Actually,

A long long time ago, on The Big Red Boat, which was the Disney Ship before they built two new ones from scratch, Goofy and Mickey came over and sat with us and the kids at breakfast. We were used to sitting with a dog at breakfast, waiting for something to fall off the table, but we never ate anything with a rodent before.

BnB

Thanks for clearing that up. So far, we have had great dining staff and wouldn't have traded them. When my granddaughter went with us (parents included) they were always showing her something new and fun.

If they don't entertain me then I entertain them.....:eek: ........I always have a fun table....Seriously, I had a few that were a little dry and/or not in a good mood and after a few days we had them in a great mood.........That is so fun to see that transformation.......OP, you say you have a fun bunch sailing with you?.....that's all it takes have fun and include your wait staff.......it's contagious!;)

If they don't entertain me then I entertain them.....:eek: ........I always have a fun table....Seriously, I had a few that were a little dry and/or not in a good mood and after a few days we had them in a great mood.........That is so fun to see that transformation.......OP, you say you have a fun bunch sailing with you?.....that's all it takes have fun and include your wait staff.......it's contagious!;)

Awesome Randy!!! Couldn't agree more!!

How people treat you is often a reflection of how you are treating them and it doesn't take much to get a sourpuss to smile...just a little effort and you have a total transformation!!

:D Funny about the Disney remark. It was the first thing that popped into my head, as well.:D

On most of my cruises, the waitstaff has been very likeable, some of them very funny at times. On the last cruise, the waiter was more serious at first, then I realized he had a very dry sense of humor, and I enjoyed him a lot. However, his very young assistant was hilarious, and kept me laughing. The waiter would just roll his eyes....so funny.

On the other hand, several times, I've noticed that the waiter will be the 'entertaining' one, and the assistant will be more subdued - maybe he's still learning from the master, so to speak.

I agree that a good wait team is great to have, but like Randy, I can usually make them smile with some remarks - to soften them up. (Maybe they are 'sizing us up' to see how much humor they can deport.):confused:

Maybe this comes from my lack of cruising experience but, I personally wouldn't want an "animated" waiter as it doesn't enhance my dining experience. I want a good meal, prompt service and good dinner converstation with my tablemates. I don't need the wait staff to sing "Hot, hot, hot" or forming a Conga Line between courses. JMO.

With all due respect, we have to remember that these are human beings & not performing animals, there to tap dance for our entertainment. They work their tails off, killer hours, for spoiled & frequently very rude cruisers. Also, you have to remember that many of them come from cultures where it's really not considered polite to be overly familiar with strangers. Plus, they've probably had situations where, if they did try to joke with some passengers, the passengers didn't like it because it's not "respectful"--so they're being a bit cautious in seeing what each table is like for that cruise.

Best hint: Treat them as you want to be treated. As Randi said, if you start joking with them first, talking to them & finding out about their backgrounds & families, they'll almost inevitably respond. You have to keep in mind, though, that they've got lots of tables to take care of & are under a time crunch. I've seen diners frequently get bent out of shape with a waiter if they think he/she is spending more time with another table than with them. And if they don't get the meals served & then cleared in a certain amount of time, they get in trouble from the head waiter. So they may not be as "animated" or "smiling" or whatever that we think they should be.

Talking about disney....

We were on the Disney Magic last August.... suprisingly enough we did not have a fantastic waitstaff. Godwin, our waiter, was not the friendliest person. Dombrika, the asst. waiter was not exceedingly friendly either. Both were nice enough, when an obvious effort was made, but it made it all the more obvious how much a great serving team in the dining room can add to the meal.

Godwin was very serious, and kept reminding us all week how we must give him a "exceeds expecations" on the survey at the end, or else he would get reprimanded. We mentioned this on the survey at the end, and rated each very fairly, based on the service they gave us. adequate, but neither went the extra mile. We also did mention his comments to the maitre'd. The maitre'd was very nice, by the way, and he really made up for the shortcomings of the other staff. He came by our table each night, and we had alot of fun with him.

We had a great time, regardless (and the food was fantastic) but our waitstaff didn't go out of their way to enhance the experience.

With all due respect, we have to remember that these are human beings & not performing animals, there to tap dance for our entertainment. They work their tails off, killer hours, for spoiled & frequently very rude cruisers. Also, you have to remember that many of them come from cultures where it's really not considered polite to be overly familiar with strangers.

Bravo KittyMama!!!!! Very well put. :D

With all due respect, we have to remember that these are human beings & not performing animals, there to tap dance for our entertainment. They work their tails off, killer hours, for spoiled & frequently very rude cruisers. Also, you have to remember that many of them come from cultures where it's really not considered polite to be overly familiar with strangers. Plus, they've probably had situations where, if they did try to joke with some passengers, the passengers didn't like it because it's not "respectful"--so they're being a bit cautious in seeing what each table is like for that cruise.

QUOTE]

I agree with you Kittymama, but I don't think the OP wanted a circus act...just a wait staff that was not stiff; a wait staff who seemed to enjoy their job as opposed to dredging through it. It makes your meal so much better if the wait staff is 'happy' and I think (although the OP can correct me if I'm wrong here) that is what he/she was trying to get across.

Moods are extremely contagious..if your waiter is visably miserable, it takes some energy on your part as a passenger to overcome that...if they are gregarious and friendly, it sets a totally different tone and enhances your meal. They don't need to dance on the table, but a little smile and some light banter is always welcome. If they are stiff, yet professional and courteous, it sets a different tone as well...some may like that tone (Liv, for instance) and some like it more light and laid back. It's all a matter of preference. And I think that no matter what cruise line or which ship, you'll have a mixture of all these types of wait staff on every cruise.

I agree with Halos, I don't expect them to juggle the dishes and dance around the table. I have always tried to be nice to anyone who waits on me for dinner and usually get treated the same. As I said before we had greats wait staff on both our cruises and would love to have them again. I am also aware that they have extra tables and do not try to hold a lengthy conversation as everyone that they serve expects the same.

I think it is very funny how some of you all have responded to my original post. And yes, as the OP (original poster), all I asked was... can you request an animated, good-with-kids server? Believe me, we are a family who believes that great attitude starts with YOU, and we do everything we can to get a happy encounter going.

But after sall, this is the "FUN SHIP," and our first time on Carnival.

I do not expect "trained seals" doing table dances in the middle of our souffle -- hey, my husband and I are Marketing & PR professionals -- or that every server's personality should match mine. Obviously, one of the posters above would prefer a much more subdued, refined serving staff, and that's great for her. That's just not our style when we're on a week's cruise with our whole family, and we're developing a relationship with the servers. And on 2 of the past cruises, we have had wait staffs whom have been more subdued.

So I just wanted to know if that was something you could request with your PVP. That's all.

Thanks for your feedback.

:p

Cinderelli, I've never heard of anyone doing it, but you could always ask... I don't know when they assign tables, or wait staff, etc... I would personally think the answer would be no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I would expect a well trained, professional-not some ' person' to sit down with all night.

We are not their only table and are trying to be friendly to everone-with some language difficulties. The idioms we use to be funny are not understood by others.

You are trying to 'develop a relationship' doesn't that end when you walk out of the DR? Well, you are just the people who sit in those seats this week-they had others last week and will have someone new next week. We feel permanent but we are very temporary to the staff.

I only expect from the DR staff what I would expect from the DR staff in a land-based restaurant.

Wowso, when I go to a land based restaurant, I like a friendly server. Hey, I am SATISFIED with an efficient server, but PREFER one that makes that extra attempt to give outgoing, personalized service with a smile.

That's why I RETURN to some land based restaurants, and also request certain servers.

And therefore, back to my question... Does anybody know if you can REQUEST an animated server?

I think I am going to do just that and see what happens. I will let you know.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Wowso, when I go to a land based restaurant, I like a friendly server. Hey, I am SATISFIED with an efficient server, but PREFER one that makes that extra attempt to give outgoing, personalized service with a smile.

That's why I RETURN to some land based restaurants, and also request certain servers.

And therefore, back to my question... Does anybody know if you can REQUEST an animated server?

I think I am going to do just that and see what happens. I will let you know.

I was going to respond the same to that post. I agree with you 100% Cinderelli!! Go for it..and please let us know how it works out!!!! :D

I think it is very funny how some of you all have responded to my original post. And yes, as the OP (original poster), all I asked was... can you request an animated, good-with-kids server?

This was the original question: Has anyone ever requested an animated server for dinner?

Didn't say anything about being "good with kids". I think some people me included, may have misunderstood the "animated" reference to the wait staff as well as: knowing our family of fun-loving, gregarious people, we want to be with a team who will have fun.

We were on the Glory in June and had the most uncongenial waiter on earth. His assistant was great but he was treated like the proverbial "red headed step-child" by Ken, the waiter. We asked the maitre' d to be moved to a different section, said we wanted a bigger table, we were at a table for 4. We moved and had the best time. Our new waiters were fantastic. We are on the ship to have a good time, not indigestion because of bad service. Of course, my husband is the type to get up and dance with them also. If you want dignified go to the supper club and be catered too. It's awsome also. But who knows, it might be different to see your waiter dancing on tabletop in your souflee.

Linda

Liberty 9/18/05

Glory 6/12/04

Conquest 6/21/03

Archived