Just back from Transatlantic on Mediterranea

shipshapegal

We just got in from the 14 day ocean crossing. The seas were calm almost the whole way and the ship was lovely. The staff was eager to please and we had a wonderful time.

Until this morning. We were supposed to arrive in Port Everglades but for some reason we were sent to Miami instead. It took seven hours to clear customs and get a bus to Ft. Lauderdale from Miami. Some of it was Costa's fault, some things not. But we were made to sit on a bus in Miami waiting to go for almost two hours without water or facilities in the South Florida heat. sigh.....

Anyway, the rest of the trip was great. The food was okay, not wonderful, but there was lots of it.

Some got sick, us included, for three days. Noro virus? I do not know. The ship's doctor told us we had the flu but we had no aches or fever, just the usual two noro symptoms. We were not quarantined. He told us to just wash our hands and be careful. We stayed in the room three days though, I did not want to make anyone else sick. Room service was good to us, made us rice and broth. The reception desk called to check on us.

We had a balcony cabin on the 8th floor. It was very nice, and the beds and bedding are quite good. The matresses are new and much thicker than last year.

The balcony was large enough for two chairs, a small table, and one lounge chair (that I asked for and got) and still had room to walk around.

There are not many amenities in the bathroom, just the liquid soap in the shower and a bar soap that was not great. Nothing else. The hair dryer was good but my hair is not thick.

I understand the ship is now in dry dock for two weeks and then will start it's Caribbean season.

Do not hesitate to take this ship. It is lovely.

Shipshapegal

i too had to wait on a hot bus for over an hour before we left the port of ft lauderdale to go to FLL airport. they wait until the bus fills up.

i suggest to everyone to avoid the costa transfers and take a taxi cab!

i'm glad to hear the bedding has improved on the Med. perhaps they will replace it on the Magica?

Thanks for confirming it will be in drydock for 2 weeks. i saw the gap in the schedual and assumed drydock but you can never be for sure. this is good news for all who have planned to cruise the Med. in the carib this season!

thanks for staying in while you were sick, that is very thoughful of you.

What kind of weather did you have? What ports did you visit?

Thanks for the review!

Were there Christmas decorations up? Were they nice?

Does Costa do a "Drink of the Day" type special like some cruise lines?

Is there Bingo on the Med?

What was your favorite place to eat or meal on the ship?

What was your favorite way to be entertained during the day?

What nightlife did you enjoy? Show, Nightclub, Lounge, etc?

Anything that really surprised you, good or bad?

Thanks! Jen

ports: savona, barcelona, tenerife, guadaloupe, st maartin, nassau, miami.

no christmas decorations up at all.

drink of the day, yes, same as all cruise ships i guess, foo foo stuff for 4.5 euros.

bingo, yes every day

i liked to eat in the dining room, i like the wonderful service from the great waitstaff.

entertainment for me? sorry, i like my privacy and naps! there was lots of (to me) wierd stuff like hokey games and splashing around the pool, dance lessons, etc. english was not the main language on this trip, italian was, and then german, french, spanish, and english. so it was difficult for us english only passengers.

shows were good, they were shown the next day on the tv if you miss one.

surprises? hmmm, one day it was a sea day and very crowded, it was hard to find a seat for lunch on the lido deck, we ended up sharing a table with four italians, none spoke english and we did not speak italian, but we had the most fun with them. we found ways to communicate and it was just delightful. one of my best memories of the trip!

Wow, I didn't realize that they charged you in Euros on Costa!

Sounds like it will be a very cool and surreal experience, like being in Europe AND the Caribbean at the same time.

first of all, costa in europe and costa in the caribbean are different.

costa switches over to US currency when sailing in the caribbean. it is on euros for the transatlantics trips and while sailing in europe.

secondly, when sailing in the caribbean, english IS the primary language but secondary languages are used too (italian, spanish, french, german) but only mostly during the mustar drill.

Archived