Sunless Tanning

decemberkid

I'm sure there's someone out there with the good fortune of having wonderfully fair, freckled skin like me. :rolleyes: I'd like to be able to have some fun-in-the-sun without people commenting on how I look like a ghost when I've got shorts on. :p

I'm in the market for a nice and natural looking self tanning lotion/spray. I've tried the airbrush and being as it wears off in a few days and starts to look like I'm molting I'd like to avoid that, so I'd like something that I'd be doing myself.

Important things are that its easy to apply, not streaky or orange, and that it doesn't smell too strongly.

Any suggestions?

Hi Decemberkid,

I have only tried Jergen's Natural Glow...didn't work for me. Orange skin and horrible smell. Here I go again, but makeupalley.com has reviews and ratings of all kinds of beauty products. I find the site very helpful when looking for cosmetics, haircare, etc.

Well, I am a natural redhead but I have been a colored blonde for about 4 years now so yes, I am white as white can be. Growing up I never tanned at all I would burn, but now I tan nicely. I like to use the tanning lotions by coppertone, they have worked for me, they do not smell and are not greasy either. I have not used it for a while but there is a green one and a brown one. I use the green one as it doesnt go too dark so you look like a fake bake you know what I mean. It has the tanning stuff on one side of the bottle and the other side is a lotion. It works within 20 mins you will see the color, the more you use the darker you will get. I apply it twice one in the morning and one at night for the color I like. I also do that once a week. It last quite long too, and fades gradual and not patchy. I tried the spray but not too sure who puts that out, think it is neutogina(spelling) and I didnt really like it. My friend does though. Best thing is to experiement with a couple and you will find the one you like.

I am also a natural redhead but I have died my hair brown for about a year now. I have fair freckled skin but I tan nicely. I have never found anything in the bottle that works for me and I have tried everything. I now go tanning. Im leaving in a month and just started goin tanning 2 days ago. If I go about 3 times a week for 10 mins each I will get a nice base tan and there is a huge difference.

Do u want to stick you lotions? WOuld you go tanning insteaD?

I am also a natural redhead but I have died my hair brown for about a year now. I have fair freckled skin but I tan nicely. I have never found anything in the bottle that works for me and I have tried everything. I now go tanning. Im leaving in a month and just started goin tanning 2 days ago. If I go about 3 times a week for 10 mins each I will get a nice base tan and there is a huge difference.

Do u want to stick you lotions? WOuld you go tanning insteaD?

I don't tan in the sun or in beds, and I wouldn't even if I could. My family has a history of skin cancer and I'm not a big fan of the whole idea in the first place. So yeah, just lotions.

I don't tan in the sun or in beds, and I wouldn't even if I could. My family has a history of skin cancer and I'm not a big fan of the whole idea in the first place. So yeah, just lotions.

totally understandable, i shouldnt ebev tan either:o

totally understandable, i shouldnt ebev tan either:o

Yeah. There are a lot of people who shouldn't but do anyway. I suppose as long as you keep a good regimine of getting yourself checked out for potential problems its alright. :)

Me, however, I go from red to peel to pale regardless, so its no matter to me. Lol

Yeah. There are a lot of people who shouldn't but do anyway. I suppose as long as you keep a good regimine of getting yourself checked out for potential problems its alright. :)

Me, however, I go from red to peel to pale regardless, so its no matter to me. Lol

speaking of not tanning, wish i hadnt gone today.

i look like a tomato and feel like death:(

Very fair too! The only product that hasever worked for me are tanning towels. Up here in Canada I buy Shoppers drug mart Life brand ones --They're inexpensive ,easy to use and if you let your skin dry they won't stain your clothes. Tan lasts for a few days then reapply. Lotions always appear streaky.

I am known as the queen of self tanning. Been doing it for years. When I worked in cosmetics I even taught self tanning.

I have 2 favorites. The top rated Clains in wonderful. But, very expensive. I think it's up to $28.00. I really love Clinique. I belive it's $18. (I forgot since I buy it so ofren I don't even look at price).

Here's some tips.

1. They all say to exfoliate 1st. To be honest I don't. But some people swear by it.

2. Some people like to do their entire body. Again, I don't. I have an old bathing suit I use. I tan at night a few hrs. before I go to bed & put a towel on my chair. Next morning you'll see the color.

3. Tinted self tanners. These are ones where the tint in the product helps you in seeing that you haven't missed a spot when you apply. However, after you apply you'll see a great bronze color but when you shower the next morning its washed off. But you will see your tan underneath. Just wanted to let you know so you won't wonder why so much of the color is going down the drain. I prefer the non tinted.

4. The feet, hands, elbows & knees. These are tricky areas. The color grabs darker in these areas. On the knees & elbows use a lighter touch when applying. For the feet & hands when you are done applying all over except these 2 areas wash your hands real well. Then squeeze the tanner onto a cosmetic sponge & apply to tops of feet & hands with a lighter pressure.

Any questions? Let me know.

I am known as the queen of self tanning. Been doing it for years. When I worked in cosmetics I even taught self tanning.

I have 2 favorites. The top rated Clains in wonderful. But, very expensive. I think it's up to $28.00. I really love Clinique. I belive it's $18. (I forgot since I buy it so ofren I don't even look at price).

Here's some tips.

1. They all say to exfoliate 1st. To be honest I don't. But some people swear by it.

2. Some people like to do their entire body. Again, I don't. I have an old bathing suit I use. I tan at night a few hrs. before I go to bed & put a towel on my chair. Next morning you'll see the color.

3. Tinted self tanners. These are ones where the tint in the product helps you in seeing that you haven't missed a spot when you apply. However, after you apply you'll see a great bronze color but when you shower the next morning its washed off. But you will see your tan underneath. Just wanted to let you know so you won't wonder why so much of the color is going down the drain. I prefer the non tinted.

4. The feet, hands, elbows & knees. These are tricky areas. The color grabs darker in these areas. On the knees & elbows use a lighter touch when applying. For the feet & hands when you are done applying all over except these 2 areas wash your hands real well. Then squeeze the tanner onto a cosmetic sponge & apply to tops of feet & hands with a lighter pressure.

Any questions? Let me know.

Thanks for all the great advice!!

Where can I get the Clinique stuff? I've actually heard some other good things about it before. I know my mall has a Clinique counter; would they sell it there?

So the spray on tan you get at a Spa or whatever doesn't work? or they do but wear off?

I was interested in getting this before my cruise.

I am fair and have tried Victoria's Secret self tanning lotion and their spray on color, they are both nice. The spray on color resembles spary paint when it hits your skin so you really have to rub it in well.

So the spray on tan you get at a Spa or whatever doesn't work? or they do but wear off?

I was interested in getting this before my cruise.

I am fair and have tried Victoria's Secret self tanning lotion and their spray on color, they are both nice. The spray on color resembles spary paint when it hits your skin so you really have to rub it in well.

The spray on tan from the salon wears off only when you dead skin cells start to fall off. Since we're not snakes or the like, all of our skin cells don't come off at once. :p Therefore, unless you're going to get it done every 4-5 days, you'll start looking patchy. :( Its sad because it looks really great for those first couple of days, but I can't afford $50 every couple of days.

So I did it. And all I can say is, don't use LOreal's sublime broze. :( I'm doing repairs this morning on my streaky, spotty tan. Beh.

I should've listened to the board post, but my friend said that this stuff was the best she'd used for a good price. Ugh. Next time I'll actually take the advice I solicit.

Archived