Beware, suitcase robbed

mcsea

A TSA lock would have been much more of a deterrent than a piece of plastic. I could never understand why some think fastening plastic ties secures their bag. The thief most likely would have moved on to an easier target. Sorry you learned the hard way.

We use plastic ties for the airline since they break TSA locks also. We use lock for the ship. Makes sense to me.

Many people have had TSA locks cut off simply because the agent is too busy or too lazy to get the key.

We use cable ties....honestly if some lowlife wants to open your bag, no lock, cable tie or anything will stop them.

Don't pack valuables.

On our last flight, I knew the bag was opened because the cable tie was white/clear. I always use bright ones.

Inside was the TSA note. And, believe it or not, all the stuff was very neat inside the bag! They only moved my RCL tote from its place in the top pocket to on top of the stuff. No biggie.

We're figuring that too busy/lazy was why our locks got cut off. And there was something interesting the bag - our son's custom short track speed skates (funny, but you can't take a pair of 17" knife edge blades on as carryons any more :rolleyes: ).

We use the cable ties just to keep the zippers closed, and so we can tell if the bag's been opened. However, we do put locks on our luggage before we turn them over to the porters at the pier, and when we go to leave them in the hallway at night. Just use the cable ties for air travel. And, other than those skates, we don't put jewelry, electronics, money, important papers, etc. in checked luggage.

I guess we've been lucky; any time our luggage has been searched, the stuff's been put back relatively neatly, and nothing's ever been missing.

Jodi

Surely someone would see a worker shlepping a case somewhere relatively private to rifle through it........unless of course they are all in it together? Maybe some kind of luggage theft ring??

This is really scary as I am going to fly into San Juan in February. I have size 11 feet so I am not worried about having my amazonian shoes stolen!

I don't use any luggage locks....thinking maybe I should??? :rolleyes:

I'm of the opinion that if they want in, they're gonna get in. And I wonder if a locked bag makes a potential thief think "hey, wonder what's in that bag?? It's locked-must be good!" :rolleyes:

I've flown for 20 years and never once had anything missing. I try not to check items that I couldn't live without or would mean $$ lost if they're taken or lost (like jewelry, certain souvenirs, camera eqpt., etc.). And I just take my chances from there.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth...;)

Well, why we did not have anything stolen on our cruise, I'll tell ya this. Those TSA guys needs a kick in their you-know-what!

I'm all for airport security, inspect my bag all you want. But PLEASE put the items you look at the way they were put in.

On our flight from CT to Las Vegas, long story short, I always wrap my shampoo/conditioner & hair spray separately in a plastic grocery bag. In case of spillage. Well, ding-dong TSA guy must have thought my brand new can of hairspray was the missing Weapons of Mass Destruction from Iraq & opened the bag, but did not put the hairspray can back in or the lid on. Seeing what's going to happen now?

The entire can of hairspray sprayed into my entire suitcase somewhere enroute to Las Vegas & when I got my luggage, you could smell the hairspray (though it was scented!) from about 10 feet away. I went into a screaming rage in the middle of the Las Vegas terminal wanting to kill someone. I think I thought of 50 ways for that TSA guy to die a horrible death I was so livid! When we got to our timeshare & checked-in, I spent the next 3 1/2 hours washing clothes & drying them & then trying to wash out the suitcase.

I'll take stolen food anyday of the week!

Depending on the hair spray and the fabric your clothes were made of, you could have had a lot of ruined stuff on your hands...:rolleyes:

a friend of mine had his ipod stolen on Majesty in Feb. When his bag showed up outside his door, stuff was missing from it. We know everything was there before he boarded, so it can happen anywhere

Why on earth would you put an ipod in a bag that's going to be out of your possession in the first place? It was begging to be stolen.

Archived