? for any recent Western Carribean cruisers out of Galveston....

Christine in MO

What kind of temps should we expect during our first & last sea days? According to the Galveston web-site the temp on Sunday in Galveston should be around 60 or so. With that in mind I am figuring that the very soonest we will do any swimming would be Tuesday. Also, coming back I figure Saturday it may be a bit chilly too. Anyone know for sure? TIA

Current ConditionsReported from Progreso 12/05/2006 7:00 PM EST

Temperature: 72°F 22°C

Conditions: Partly Cloudy

Winds: NE 13 MPH NE 21 KPH

Relative Humidity: 90%

Barometer: 30.16 Falling

Seven-Day ForecastTUE

n/a n/a

69°F 20°C WED

82°F 27°C

70°F 21°C THU

80°F 26°C

71°F 21°C FRI

75°F 23°C

68°F 20°C SAT

78°F 25°C

69°F 20°C SUN

80°F 26°C

71°F 21°C MON

78°F 25°C

70°F 21°C

Hi Christine, We just got back from a cruise on the Conquest. When we arrived in Galveston on Sunday it was 43 and it didnt get any better went we arrive back in Springfield MO.....15 degrees and 3 inches of ice and 8 inches of snow!!! We wished we were back in Jamacia....80 to 90 degrees. But usually it is in the 60's in Galveston this time of the year. Winter is really unpredictable! Have fun but I would bring a jacket or sweatshirt for your return trip.:D

Jill

Hi, we cruised over Thanksgiving on Conquest out of

Galveston. Took lots of shorts and 2 light warm-ups.

Wore one pair of shorts and almost wore out the

warm-ups. It was very windy the whole trip, white caps

on the water, and officials in Grand Cayman said to go

on without stopping there. What a disappointment!

Jamaica was fine for swimming in the pools, but not in

the ocean; too windy for the water toys, too. Cozumel

was windy too, but the beach was sunny. Bummer

having to tender to shore and back in the rough sea.

After doing the beach in Cozumel and tendering back

to clean up, I just stayed on board instead of shopping

as planned. So much for doing some Christmas shopping!

Be sure to take a sweater or two for on board in case

of wind!

This time of year no one can say in advance how warm or cold the weather will be a week in advance. It has been very cold here the last week. Before that it was in the mid to upper 80's. Last January I had a second crop of tomatoes sprout on the previous summer's vines. :D

If you are lucky and sail before the next front pushes through, you can expect to be able to enjoy sun and swimming on Monday. Perhaps ladyactor or I might find it cooler than we would like as we are from the Houston area but for you snowbirds it should feel very comfortable. If you are a day or two behind a strong front you could suffer a simular scenario as ladyactor's cruise.

On the last day it may be cool when you wake up, or warm and sunny. It could stay warm all day or change during the day. You just won't know in advance so plan accordingly. You will need some colder weather gear anyway for your trip homw.

Best of luck! As we say in Texas, "if you don't like the weather....wait five minutes, it'll change.":rolleyes:

Hi Christine,

It will be chilly the first sea day depending on your itinerary. It will also be a little rocky. I have cruised several times out of Galveston at various times of year. If there is a lot of wind it will seem cooler so you will want a light windbreaker for the first day. If there is slight wind and sun it will be warm enough to lay out. It is very unpredictable for the first and last days as mentioned above. We just returned Sunday and had rain all day in Jamaica but we knew it was the rainy season. It was pleasant in Grand Cayman and Cozumel but coming from Texas it was a tad cool for us to be in the water. Those from cold weather states thought the water was fine. I guess it's all relative. The temps were in the low 80's so we wore shorts in all ports even Jamaica. Last year Key West was so cold we wore sweat outfits and were still cold. Just hope for good weather! For example, yesterday 32 degrees here in the AM and today 60 degrees in the AM. Just check with http://www.galveston.com for weather before you leave. Have a great cruise!

I brought 3 pair of shorts, 3 pair of capris and my formal outfits.

What kind of temps should we expect during our first & last sea days? According to the Galveston web-site the temp on Sunday in Galveston should be around 60 or so. With that in mind I am figuring that the very soonest we will do any swimming would be Tuesday. Also, coming back I figure Saturday it may be a bit chilly too. Anyone know for sure? TIA

Christine,

What Ship are you sailing on and what date are you leaving? Sounds like you may be part of the cruise I am going to be on. If you are Dec. 11th/Ecstasy, we have a thread in roll call. Some of the people on it live near there and/or have sailed several times. Sure they could help you also.

Archived