Fantasy Review 12-2 - 12-7

Rowan555

OK, here it is...

Carnival Fantasy December 2 - December 7, 2006

Embarkation

Embarkation is MUCH improved with the new terminal in New Orleans. My inlaws found parking in the new garage to be a breeze, and we were dropped off as usual and walked right into the terminal. We arrived at 10:45 and checked in immediately - we waited maybe 3 minutes in line. From there we sat in the second row of chairs for about 20 minutes, then we were able to board the ship. Boarding was quick and easy, maybe 5 minutes from the terminal to the ship.

The Ship

We really like the look of the Fantasy. While Conquest is my favorite ship, we found very few flaws with the Fantasy, especially considering her age. The ship was clean and had remarkably little wear and tear. One note - the Riviera deck hallway carpet is quite stained and seemed a tad wet at times. If you're going to be offended by stained carpet, book a cabin on another deck - from what I could see the carpet on the other decks looked immaculate. Riviera must have some sort of "issues" with water. It didn't bother me, but I know some people will let something like that ruin their entire cruise - heh.

Muster Drill

Longest. Muster. Drill. EVER. A full hour including waiting at the muster station then marching up to the lifeboat embarkation station and standing in the freezing cold weather for 20 minutes not having a clue why we were standing there or when we'd be allowed to get inside and get warm. This was ridiculous.

Food

I always enjoy the food Carnival has to offer, and this time was no exception. We had breakfast and lunch on the Lido deck, and we had dinner in the Jubilee Dining room three times (the other two we missed dinner and hit the Lido Deck instead). We found both to be very good, with lots of food to choose from. My favorite new addition to the Carnival menu is the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake, available each night at dinner. I could live on that for the rest of my life. I also found the fish dishes to be better than on past cruises. We enjoyed room service each night - if you're planning to order tea or coffee through room service, you might want to keep some extra sweetener packets handy - most of the time the room service staff did NOT include these with our order. We had hot chocolate, chocolate covered strawberries, and apple struedel at The Bistro and enjoyed them all thoroughly - the prices were very reasonable. I had my eye on the carrot cake all week, but I resisted. After getting on the scale this morning and seeing that I'd gained WAY too much already, I'm glad I did so!

Dress

This was by far the most casual group of cruisers I have ever seen. I don't normally even notice what other people are wearing, but the last posts I read here before going to the ship were about jeans in the dining room and on cruises in general, so this time I paid attention. I looked around while in line to board the ship, and I would say 75% of the people had on jeans. Others had on shorts, track pants, and a few people in khakis. At dinner that night I saw the same amount of jeans, a few people in shorts, and VERY few people had gotten a little more dressed up. I saw 4 people in shorts and t shirts, and one older man in what looked like flannel pajama pants and flip flops. We didn't attend formal night, but I would bet money that there were people in the dining room with jeans, shorts, etc. I didn't see anyone being turned away. Let me emphasize that I was not bothered by this - I am simply noting it since it's been an ongoing topic of discussion here.

Activities

As usual, we didn't participate in many activities. My husband enjoyed the blackjack tournament and we also went to the late night comedy show and enjoyed it quite a bit. There was a Christmas Show on the last sea day which we also attended because our kids were in Camp Carnival and got to sing a song on stage. It was great, BUT I have to say I was more than a little bit bothered by the fact that they had a large number of the crew come out and sing Silent Night for the audience. They looked very uncomfortable and I'm sure many of them are NOT Christian and should not have been asked to sing a distinctly Christian song. With all the holiday tunes to choose from, why that? My inlaws did attend the other evening shows and seeemed to enjoy them quite a bit. The only other "activity" I participated in was the liquor tasting on the first night - heh! The Sheridans IS as good as everyone here at Cruise Critic says. If I liked coffee even a little bit I would have bought some. The Baileys Chocolate Mint was better, though, and I bought a few bottles. Yum!

Costa Maya

We went to Cat's Meow and had one of the best port days EVER. I will say that the bus dropped us off at Tequila Beach, and most people seemed to just stay there for the day, not knowing there was anywhere else to go. Tequila Beach charges $2 for sodas, $3 for chips and salsa, and their other bar and food items are high. The beach was a bit rocky and had some broken glass scattered around, and it also was VERY crowded. We walked on down to Cat's Meow and had a wonderful day. The staff is great and the owner is a wonderful lady. $1 sodas, free chips and salsa, great food, and even lots of varieties of cheesecake to choose from!

Cozumel

We tendered in. Never a fun experience, and it took a LONG time. Once on land, we hit Paradise Beach as usual and had a lovely day. Tom is great and even offered my kids free sodas, quesadillas, and ice cream if we return next week on Fantasy Cruise #2 (woohoo!). It rained off and on, and it was too cool for dh and I to swim, but our kids swam and played and had a great time.

Past Guest Party

I'm not sure if this is always the case, but the past guest party was held the day we were in Cozumel. It honestly seems just about EVERYONE on the Fantasy is a past guest. I saw very few "blue" Sail and Sign Cards this week. The party was held in the main show lounge, and it was quite crowded. The drinks were not as plentiful as we've seen in the past, but we each had 4. After those 4 drinks I had to hold myself back from "booing" when the SeaMiles pitch began lol!

Want to See the Saints Game?

Don't get your hopes up. We'd heard great stories about the games being shown throughout the ship, and how much fun it was to watch with hundreds of other Saints fans. Well, the satellite feed comes from Denver, so if Denver isn't broadcasting the Saints, the ship can't show it. My husband was disappointed, and there were about 200 guys in Saints shirts wandering the ship looking VERY distressed all day on Sunday.

Debarkation

We did Self Assist and were in the car on the way home by 8:30. It was not as fast as in the past, mainly because it seemed that 3/4 of the ship was also doing self assist. Once our deck was called, though, we were off the ship and through customs in about 20 minutes. The customs guy was VERY nice and even though we had 6 bottles of liquor he didn't assess a fee.

General Comments

We heard people complaining all week. The ship's too small, there's more shopping on the larger ships, this ship moves too much, the carpet is worn, the lines are too long, blah blah blah. We had a great time, and I literally have NO complaints. We've been on larger ships and smaller ships and this ship was just perfect. We loved the mini golf and thought that was a really nice addition to the activities available. The Camp Carnival Staff was excellent and our kids had a blast and can't wait to go back. If you don't have a good time on the Fantasy, it's your own darned fault. So there ;)

Any questions, PLEASE ask - I'm happy to answer anything I can.

Susan

We are headed out on the 21st. Can't wait to see Noonan again. (and Paradise Beach)

Glad you had a great time and that the ole Fantasy is holding up so well.

I know what you mean about those Past Cruisers Parties. They are really getting crowded. I guess that is good news for Carnival though!!

Happy Cruising!!

im leaving on monday 12/11

you say it was too cold to swim in cozumel? what was the temperature like there?

is there any chance we will be able to swim in the pools onboard? or is this just not something one can do in december?

what time did you arrive? we are planning to be there around 11 but i think we have vip checkin

also, was the ship crowded or not so much? judging by the price drops i was thinking it would be less than crowded

finally how rough were the seas and what amount of rocking did you endure?

thanks so much for this info

Glad you had a good time!!! I'm looking forward to it next month!!!

BTW, shorts are allowed at dinner that first night, nobody would have been turned away... first night is ALWAYS pretty casual... Although I will say that cruises out of NOLA and TX have seemed more casual, I still haven't seen alot of jeans in the dining room and very very rarely shorts, on anything other than the first and last night...

Thanks Susan for your review...The Fantasy is my Fav ship so Far!!! Just got off her in Oct and going back in Jan, but it looks like you got me beat on that one!! Glad your family had fun...Can't wait to get back to Paradise Beach myself :p taking my DSs there for the first time in Jan!!

Just one quick question, Havent been to Cozumel since the hurricane hit, are all ships tender?

Tina

im leaving on monday 12/11

you say it was too cold to swim in cozumel? what was the temperature like there?

is there any chance we will be able to swim in the pools onboard? or is this just not something one can do in december?

what time did you arrive? we are planning to be there around 11 but i think we have vip checkin

also, was the ship crowded or not so much? judging by the price drops i was thinking it would be less than crowded

finally how rough were the seas and what amount of rocking did you endure?

thanks so much for this info

I don't know what the temps were in Cozumel, but the main problem was that it was very cloudy and rainy all morning, so there was no sunlight to warm the water. It was overcast almost all day, with the sun coming out for MAYBE an hour. If it's a sunnier day there should be no problems with swimming. There were other people swimming, but we're from New Orleans and not used to the cold as much as some others might be, so we found the water too chilly for our comfort level.

There were a few kids swimming in the ship's pools, but not many. The water was pretty cold. I found the hot tubs tepid at best, but they were very crowded all the time.

I found the crowds on the ship to be just as always - sometimes there are people EVERYWHERE, and other times you feel like the only person on board. It's always easy to find a deserted lounge or other room to duck into for some quiet time, and it's often hard to believe there are literally thousands of people on the ship with you.

We arrived at the terminal around 10:45 - IMO the perfect time. We arrived before the crowds and had to wait in the chairs only 20 or 30 minutes. I MUCH prefer sitting and waiting to standing in line for an hour or more to check in. We'll probably do the same next week, particularly since it's just me and the kids.

The seas were rough the second to last night and the crew put out "barf bags" everywhere. I didn't see anyone get sick, and I didn't hear much complaining about seasickness. If you're on the Verandah Deck you might feel the motion a bit more.

BTW, shorts are allowed at dinner that first night, nobody would have been turned away... first night is ALWAYS pretty casual... Although I will say that cruises out of NOLA and TX have seemed more casual, I still haven't seen alot of jeans in the dining room and very very rarely shorts, on anything other than the first and last night...

I probably wasn't clear enough. There were shorts in the dining room every night (I saw several each time we were there) and over half of the people in the dining room the three nights we were there had jeans on. You were literally in the minority if you had anything BUT jeans on.

Just one quick question, Havent been to Cozumel since the hurricane hit, are all ships tender?

Tina

I think 2 ships can dock downtown and 1 at the international pier - there were 5 ships in port the day we were there, and we and the Ecstasy were the only ones tendering.

I probably wasn't clear enough. There were shorts in the dining room every night (I saw several each time we were there) and over half of the people in the dining room the three nights we were there had jeans on. You were literally in the minority if you had anything BUT jeans on.

Oops.. sorry, I thought when you said "that night" that you were referring to the first night. It certainly wasn't the case the last time I cruised from NOLA... not really concerned about it for next month, as I'm planning on freestyle dining :p

Thanks at least I know. Hubby and I will make alternate plans for the evenings.

I have not heard the "411" on Duane (or maybe I should say "911"), but don't give up until you meet him. There are many times when a particular entertainer just has an off week or maybe does not connect with the crowd...but you may love him. I say always give them the benefit of the doubt and then if it doesn't work out...that is what comment cards are for!!

I have not heard the "411" on Duane (or maybe I should say "911"), but don't give up until you meet him. There are many times when a particular entertainer just has an off week or maybe does not connect with the crowd...but you may love him. I say always give them the benefit of the doubt and then if it doesn't work out...that is what comment cards are for!!

LOL, we're going from experience... Vicki and I had first hand experience of boring Duane on the Miracle last year... and I had it once before that... her husband was almost asleep one night in there last year!!!!! And yes, I noted it on the comment card. I won't be in the piano bar this go around.

I don't know what the temps were in Cozumel, but the main problem was that it was very cloudy and rainy all morning, so there was no sunlight to warm the water. It was overcast almost all day, with the sun coming out for MAYBE an hour. If it's a sunnier day there should be no problems with swimming. There were other people swimming, but we're from New Orleans and not used to the cold as much as some others might be, so we found the water too chilly for our comfort level.

There were a few kids swimming in the ship's pools, but not many. The water was pretty cold. I found the hot tubs tepid at best, but they were very crowded all the time.

I found the crowds on the ship to be just as always - sometimes there are people EVERYWHERE, and other times you feel like the only person on board. It's always easy to find a deserted lounge or other room to duck into for some quiet time, and it's often hard to believe there are literally thousands of people on the ship with you.

We arrived at the terminal around 10:45 - IMO the perfect time. We arrived before the crowds and had to wait in the chairs only 20 or 30 minutes. I MUCH prefer sitting and waiting to standing in line for an hour or more to check in. We'll probably do the same next week, particularly since it's just me and the kids.

The seas were rough the second to last night and the crew put out "barf bags" everywhere. I didn't see anyone get sick, and I didn't hear much complaining about seasickness. If you're on the Verandah Deck you might feel the motion a bit more.

So the days at sea are not good deck days temperature wise? :(

Hope you all enjoy and keep her in good shape for us, too bad we won't be there until Oct. 07!

Did all the rooms get upgraded with the flat panel tv's?

Our room had a regular 20 inch tv with the picture tube going out. I tend to enjoy watching a movie or two in the cabin, so that was a bit annoying - but no big deal.

LOL, we're going from experience... Vicki and I had first hand experience of boring Duane on the Miracle last year... and I had it once before that... her husband was almost asleep one night in there last year!!!!! And yes, I noted it on the comment card. I won't be in the piano bar this go around.

Bummer...thank goodness for karaoke. Usually karaoke and the piano bar run at the same time, so I don't get to go in there much anyway. Luckily the piano bar on the Miracle in October continued 1 1/2 - 2 hours AFTER karaoke. We had a blast. Oh well, maybe if there is time...we can bring ole Duane "out of his shell"!! (Sounds like a job for Cuervo!!!)

Thanks for the heads up.

Bummer...thank goodness for karaoke. Usually karaoke and the piano bar run at the same time, so I don't get to go in there much anyway. Luckily the piano bar on the Miracle in October continued 1 1/2 - 2 hours AFTER karaoke. We had a blast. Oh well, maybe if there is time...we can bring ole Duane "out of his shell"!! (Sounds like a job for Cuervo!!!)

Thanks for the heads up.

I hate to say it, but we found karaoke VERY lame on the Fantasy. It's held in the aft lounge, and all the lights remained on in the room. It felt like being at a conference rather than a nightclub or lounge. I guess I was spoiled by the karaoke experience on Conquest which was SO much more fun. Also it seemed every time we went in to check it out, they were singing country songs - and the band in the Cat's Lounge was a country band. It seemed like we were cruising out of Galveston instead of NOLA -ack!

Trust us, Goin......I was on the same cruise with Rowan. Especially, on the 4th night, there were plenty of jeans, t's, and a few shorts. I wore black and khaki slacks with nice tops on resort casual nights...hubby wore khaki and dark brown slacks with nice 3 button knit shirts. Of course, we dressed to the nines for formal night. This is a dilemma these days on cruises....don't really think Carnival can figure out a way of "enforcing" dress code in the dining rooms when their customers pay for the complete experience ......as much as I wish they could.

Hope you all enjoy and keep her in good shape for us, too bad we won't be there until Oct. 07!

Did all the rooms get upgraded with the flat panel tv's?

Our cat. 12 room had just the regular t.v. which was fine with us. The ship has a rather calm decor now after it's refurbishment. Fantasy is a great ship and you will enjoy her.

So the days at sea are not good deck days temperature wise? :(

It was a bit chilly and overcast, with some rain off and on. No sunbathing going on, but people were outside listening to the band. We played a little mini golf, and that was the extent of our time outside.

I hate to say it, but we found karaoke VERY lame on the Fantasy. It's held in the aft lounge, and all the lights remained on in the room. It felt like being at a conference rather than a nightclub or lounge. I guess I was spoiled by the karaoke experience on Conquest which was SO much more fun. Also it seemed every time we went in to check it out, they were singing country songs - and the band in the Cat's Lounge was a country band. It seemed like we were cruising out of Galveston instead of NOLA -ack!

No problem...I will definately "unlame" it! Love country, so that won't be a problem either...although I do a variety of music from 60-70 R&B to Celine Dion to Elton John and (yes, gasp...) country!!

It was a bit chilly and overcast, with some rain off and on. No sunbathing going on, but people were outside listening to the band. We played a little mini golf, and that was the extent of our time outside.

:( :(

Archived