Tips Included?

denlyd

I forget, how are tips handeled?

I seem to recall that a set amount per person is added.

Is this set amount included in the cruise price or is it added to the bill on the ship.

I know that even if certain tips are included other tips should be given.

Thanks for any input, old age must be approaching as we sailed NCL 2 years ago and I can't remember.

Regards

Dennis

I forget, how are tips handeled?

I seem to recall that a set amount per person is added.

Is this set amount included in the cruise price or is it added to the bill on the ship.

I know that even if certain tips are included other tips should be given.

Thanks for any input, old age must be approaching as we sailed NCL 2 years ago and I can't remember.

Regards

Dennis

Auto tipping is $10- per day per person added to your bill onboard:D

The added $10 per person per day service/gratuity charge is for the usual service. I believe one should tip extra for room service, special requests, using the concierge or butler, service above the customary for that ship and a little in addition to the 15% added to bar tabs, as well as something extra at specialty restaurants for above average service. This may or may not cover everything. Much is written on boards re. tipping.

The added $10 per person per day service/gratuity charge is for the usual service. I believe one should tip extra for room service, special requests, using the concierge or butler, service above the customary for that ship and a little in addition to the 15% added to bar tabs, as well as something extra at specialty restaurants for above average service. This may or may not cover everything. Much is written on boards re. tipping.

15% is also automatically added to SPA services. The kids crew staff isn't included in the tipping so tip them if you/your kids use their services.

We always leave gratuities on..then tip room service for our daily coffee and at the end of the cruise give envelopes with a note and small amounts to those who went 'above and beyond'.

Crew observation: There is indeed a $10/day service charge, which is split into certain percentages for Waiters, Bartenders and Jr. Waiters. This service charge is skimmed by NCLA before it goes to the crew-- more or less depending on the customer satisfaction numbers. In all honesty, the service charge comes up to a joking amount on a jr. waiter's paycheck.

Cruise directors often tell passengers to tip bar staff but not waitstaff as they are "taken care of." Bartenders get a larger tip out of that service charge than jr waiters.

My advice on all this is really, tip where you think you should. It doesn't have to be a large amount. Any amount of gratuity is appreciated-- gratitude for the work the crew does for you. It's never mandatory, but it can make all the difference in someone's work performance. And it's just nice.

Unknown fact: The best-tipped bartenders are the ones working in the crew bar. We follow our own advice :)

This service charge is skimmed by NCLA before it goes to the crew

Skimmed ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

It's never mandatory, but it can make all the difference in someone's work performance.

I absolutely agree that tips are important to the staff but I generally tip to reward a good job, not to ensure it.

G

Archived