travelers checks or cash?

oceanfreaks

I like to take both traveler's checks and cash. You can cash a t'check at the purser's desk, but (I think this is mentioned in the Welcome Aboard booklet you receive w/your docs) - The purser's office carries a limited amount of cash, so if you need to cash t'checks, it's best to cash them the first few days onboard.

On the islands, I have used t'checks for ONLY large purchases, i.e., jewelry, crystal, etc. Otherwise, I use cash for all smaller purchases. Try to have smaller bills ($10, $5) with you on the islands. If you offer a larger bill, you just might get pesos back in change.

Hope this helps...?

I usaully take about $200 in cash (plenty of $1's) and the rest of my money in T. checks. Have never had a problem cashing the travellers checks at the purser's desk, even late in the cruise. But, I've never wanted to cash an enormous amount at once.

I never take more than $100 in cash when I visit a port. I carry any other money in traveller's checks. The stores treat the T. checks just like they do cash, and they have as much bargaining power.

Archived