Hurricane damage?

tcalwillson

Hi,

I remember last year at about this time we went on a cruise that stopped in Cozumel. However, there was hurricane damage at the ports and we had to tender in. I was wondering if there is still damage there, as we are going on a cruise next week. If anyone knows anything, please let me know. Thanks

We were there the 30th. Tendered into the downtown pier and grabbed a cab to Palancar. There is still alot of damage but there is new construction everywhere. Some of the ships in port docked but the GRAND PRINCESS tendered. I believe that there was at least 8 ships in port that day.

We were there on the same cruise as clackey. There are places where you can definitely see some damage still visible, but they have done an outstanding job getting things back into shape. There were 8 ships in port with us that day, but the shopping areas were not that crowded by the time we got to them. We were out on a boat doing a combination scuba/snorkel for the morning and came back to the area near the pier around 2 p.m. You can check the cruise calendar website http://www.cruisecal.com/dnn/Default.aspx?tabid=30 to see how many ships will be in port with you...you may get lucky and be able to dock. Tendering ONTO Cozumel that morning was quick and easy. Getting back to the ship...well, there was a huge line and it took a while for them to get it loaded and unloaded at the ship, but we were on vacation, so it didn't bother us much...

--Susan

Tendering is inconvenient and time consuming, but the poster above has things pretty much right. The ONLY hurricane damages still visible to the visitors is almost entirely the lack of cruise terminals. They are being rebuilt, with Punta Langosta almost 100% and the SSA Terminal near 80% with some expansions planned. Puerta Maya will be sometime in 2008, but that was mostly a Carnaval terminal anyway and will likely return to being that.

Other damages are minimal and the reefs are returning to life much faster than we expected Nature to repair them. Things are looking very good on the island and ALL tours are back operating and anxious for the guest to arrive, participate and enjoy.

As a resident of south florida, I had no power for 2 weeks from wilma, lost landscaping and patio screens etc...

for many many months our "surroundings" looked different....we had temp street lights for months, then ONE traffic light up at intersections, now most are replaced

some buildings have not recovered...a local kentucky fried chicken, pizza hut, etc are still boarded up....but most places are looking good

just last month the movie theater near me replaced it's broken and shattered sign and the movies are once again listed

the good news is that with the great climate plants and trees grow fast...once again our streets and shopping centers and stuff looks beautiful

It took quite awhile here..we still have blue roofs..and we are in a prosperous area of the USA>>> my heart goes out to the people of Cozumel who were so damaged by Wilma and it is great to hear how they are recovering

I can not wait to go there and have a blast....and enjoy the beauty and share some "storm stories" LOL

We were there last week, on thurs. downtown is nice, all repaired. you can see work still being done in areas and they are building a new road around the island that is taking some time, but the old road is useable full of pot holes, and has been repaired in the wash out areas. It will take years for the trees to come back, but around the tourist areas they have re planted a lot of them. They have opened 2 docks, and the Inspiration was scheduled to dock, but the captain made the announcement the night before that we would be tendering, no reason was given, but then there were 7 ships in port that day and only 4 docking stations. all of the tours were up and running, we did the Mayan horse ride, which was excellent, and was the highlight of the day. I was there last sept. also and rented a jeep and did our own island tour, everything was accessable except the light house point area north east of town.

Archived