Which brand gear?

KTE

US Divers seems to be just about everywhere, but is there a "better" (fit, reliability, durable, etc.) brand for the casual snorkeler? Our local shop is having a sale on Mares dive masks (opinions on that brand?). Any others and for other gear as well (short fins, snorkel, etc.)?

Thanks!

KTE

does Body glove gear fall into the toy category?

Thx.

Some of it does, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be looked at first. For a mask, fit is the most important issue. A mask should also have a glass lens and be made of silcone.

I know fit is THE all-important consideration and I went to the shop and tried several: they all seemed to "snug" tightly, but so did the last one I bought - which leaked like it didn't exist UW! :eek: - so I thought maybe there might be a "better" brand to try. Someone once mentioned a mask for "smaller adult faces," but unless they meant a mask with a "mid skirt" (which felt the same as the regular adult to me and was twice the price), they don't come in different sizes (like shoes :p ). The store rep who was helping me, checked them both on me and said they both seemed to fit equally well on my face.

KTE

KTE:

My dive shop had me try this trick with several of their masks: Pull the strap inside out so it is in front of the lenses (like where you would see it with the mask on). Put the mask against your face (no strap) and breathe in through your nose. Judge how tight it sits on your own face and how it feels. The mask for you will stay on with nose-pressure.

BTW, I own a Cressi mask and so does DH. We have used them for both snorkel and scuba. DH had a XSscuba mask, but it didn't fit as well after he grew a moustache a couple years ago.:D We both have Neoprene straps that replace the original straps and make them more comfortable.

Good luck,

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?:D

I know that trick (that's what I meant by "snug"). I bought the Mares since it was almost 50% off, so hopefully it will work better - anything has to be better than what I have been using! :D

KTE

Archived