Scuba diving in CocoCay

Moon Cruiser

Scuba? I don't remember that being an option when I went there in April. We did snorkel though and we loved it! The water was so clear and there were fish everywhere. Some people went over by the rocks (where they weren't supposed to go) and they said the fish were more colorful there.

If snorkeling is fun, I'm sure scuba would be better. Hopefully someone on the boards have actually done it though and can give you something more.

Regardless of what you decide, have fun! I love Coco Cay!

:)

Gumballz:

We will be at Coco Cay end of April. Do you remember (after this long) what the water temp was when you were there? Wearing just swimsuits, I hope?

MoonCruiser: I think I remember reading another thread awhile back (you could search; don't remember if it's on the scuba threads or the private islands) that the Coco Cay dive is a shore dive, single tank. That's about all I recall. IMO, I think it would be fun to dive there just because it's somewhere most people don't get to dive!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

PHXscuba, we were there the first week in April and the water was absolutely perfect! DH says he's guessing the water temp was at least in the 70's. Everyone was in suits and when they got out they just went and laid down or ate, etc. There was no need to go grab a towel to warm up. You'll love it!

I have some Coco Cay photos in my signature, if you'd like to look. I think there are a couple snorkeling photos as well, if I recall. I haven't looked in awhile.

Are you in the Phoenix area?

Gumballz:

Awesome photos of Coco Cay! I shouldn't have looked at them because now I want to go even more, right now! The water color looks amazing.

Thanks for posting the photo link. And yes, we are in the East Valley (not much to scuba in around here, unless you include my pool or Lake Pleasant!:eek:

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Thanks! You're really going to like Coco Cay, I think. Wait until you see the gorgeous blue water where the ship anchors. It was seriously the most beautiful water I've ever seen.

If you scuba there, be sure to post some photos. I'd love to see them! Do you happen to have any from Cozumel, Jamaica or Grand Cayman?

I'm up near Prescott. The air has that 'snow' feeling to it. They keep saying we're getting some but it never comes. lol

Enjoy your night!

I dove Coco Cay (Little Stirrup on the nav charts) on April 15th, 2006. Max depth 33', BT 40 minutes (dictated by whoever in the group hits 1000 psi first). We saw lot's of tropical fish, a nurse shark, a hawksbill turtle, starfish, and a few lobsters. It's a shore dive, you swim out on your own and then they bring everyone back behind Waverunners. It's definitely worth doing.

I'll be there again in just over a week as I'm doing the Majesty's 7 day Christmas cruise. :)

Moon Cruiser, if you swim out to the lifeguard stand to snorkel you'll see the sunken plane. While you're out there, ask the lifeguard to feed the fish. The fish will be swimming all around you to get the food...and there's A LOT of them. They'll brush up against your face and body and eat right in front of you. You'll be in the middle of it and see everything. Absolutely amazing! There were several schools of fish out there as well. One large school was inside the airplane. :)

Archived