Costa Maya question - who has been snorkeling?

My husband and son did some snorkeling in Costa Maya when we were there in Sept. 2002. It wasn't booked through the ship, as this was an unexpected port of call (we were diverted here from Grand Cayman because of hurricane activity). They just went to the beach/shopping area at the end of the pier and rented snorkel gear and went off a deserted, rocky area of the beach. My husband said it wasn't as great as some of the other places he snorkeled, but it was alright. They saw some fish, rock formations and a stingray.

We bought tickets at a booth near the ship for $20pp. Then we took a taxi to the snorkel location. Make sure you know the name of the person to look for on the beach as it's not obvious where to go when you get there (the taxi driver will point you in the right direction). I thought the snorkeling was pretty good, not the best, but definitely not the worst either. The boat was somewhat dilapitated but it worked. The water was pretty rough the day we went out and I was pretty tired when I got back.

Stu.

Archived