Ziplining-something to think about

Nanner

On our recent trip to Costa Rica, all but one couple in our group opted for the Skywalk instead of ziplining. The one couple that zipped had quite a story to tell. It seems a tree had fallen on one of the lines after they began their tour.

Since these tours are basically downhill, the couple had to hand-over-hand back to the first tower. I think that it was the third stretch that had the problem so that meant they (and their guides) had a LOT of work to do. Both of them were a tad sore for a few days afterwards.

Now imagine having this happen with recent hand/shoulder/back surgery. Or just being way out of shape. While the guides helped this couple out, the wife said she was kind of concerned about hubby and how red he was getting.

I think they did get a refund for the ziplining, but you may want to think about this if you are considering ziplining.

Lisa, that tour is out of Limon, right? We docked in Puntarenas and did the canopy thing at Villa Lapas.

I guess my point is that while we all want to have some thrills in life, we ought to take our own physical shape into consideration when planning activities and be realistic about it. I feel the same way about all those folks who have enough money, but not the comensurate experience, who try and climb Everest. It isn't the job of the tour guide to know if you are one breath away from a coronary or had surgery recently. We all should be honest with ourselves and challenge ourselves knowing our own limits. The weather (or trees) come with no guarantees.

I made the original post before I watched any of the Discovery series about Everest, and it's made me even more aware that we need to be logical in our choices of challenges and know our own body's limitations. 'Nuff preaching :)

Archived