How high are the rails on a Big ship.

Ginna

The railings on most ships are probably about 4 feet high. A child would have to climb onto something (as would an adult for that matter) to "fall" overboard. You couldn't just fall overboard; you'd have to make a concerted effort to climb over the railing and jump. Of course, if you have young children, you'd have to watch them like a hawk, just like any other vacation. When my kids were little, I was terrified whenever we stayed at a hotel with a balcony. I was afraid the railing would break if they leaned on it! Talk about neurotic!

I had the same worries before my first cruise. You might do what I did. I took my kids over to the rail and showed them how far down they would fall if they got too close. It's very high up and pretty scary when you look down. They took one look and never got near the rail again!

Railings are plenty high enough, but do tell them they must never, ever climb on them in any way...feet on the deck always!! Also make sure they take your hand when getting on or off the ship since there is a small break in the handrail just as you board the ship. Ship personnel will assist them in boarding the tenders.

The rail on our balcony was about the same as our deck at home. Under the Building Code where I live, it's required to be 42" high with no opening greater than 4". The 4" measurement is to prevent a small child from falling through. The ship's railings looked similar. Our balcony also had a dead-bolt lock that was high up on the door to prevent small children from getting out there on their own. Make sure it's locked when you're not using the balcony.

Beth

Archived