any suggestions for "Must Have" souvenirs from Cozumel?

KTownGirl

Hi all,

My fiance and I are going on our first for our honeymoon in April on the Carnival Legend. I'd like to make sure I get a few souvenirs(that you can't get anywhere else) from all the ports that we're visiting, so I'm looking for suggestions.

So, if you could help out by completing the following sentence, I'd really appreciate it!!

"Before you leave Cozumel, make SURE you get/buy..........?"

Thanks!!

event.png

Like Terry said, vanilla is popular. I love bargain shopping for silver in Cozumel. Have found some really great one of a kind pieces - make sure you visit the little shops off the main street. If you know someone who likes chess, you can get a really nice onyx chess set, in fact there are a lot of onyx souveniers, [some a bit x-rated;)]

Make sure you bargain, bargain, bargain. Cash usually works better over a credit card, since the merchant doesn't have to pay a fee.

as others have mentioned, Vanilla (I like Azteca brand), onyx chess or backgammon sets, silver jewelry, and tequila are my top choices.

Other items we like to bring home are folk art pieces. A little harder to find when not near November, day of the dead pieces.

They will usually weigh the items and then quote you a price, so it helps if you have a bit of knowledge beforehand so you can make an educated decision on whether its a good deal. Prices are higher on the more intricately designed pieces, or if stones like turquoise have been used. If you feel its too high, then the fun begins. :) Or in some cases, maybe its just a really cool piece and if the price is something you are happy with, then buy it.

(You can also say, 'well I like the necklace, what would your best price be if I was interested in the earrings too...' many ways to bargain.)

I will be looking for vanilla when I am in Cozumel this January. My mother has requested it, but I have a TERRIBLE sense of smell, so am worried about getting ripped off and being sold something fake. Do any of you have an suggestions for me as to how I can tell I'm getting the real thing? A brand, place of origin, etc.? I do speak spanish, if that will help anything.

Since I haven't been, but have friends that went last year, I am telling you what they brought us and am SOO thankful. 1. Vanilla - powder, light liquid, and dark liquid versions. 2. The most precious hand-embroidered dress for our then 6 mo old. Even though it is a honeymoon, you could get it for 'the future' or a friend, or even a dress (worn like a shirt with a big belt and jeans -80's style) for you - that is my plan when we go in less than 30 days! I will definitely be posting a review when we get back so check it out, or email me at mrsmac513@yahoo . Congratulations on the upcoming wedding AND cruise!

Blessings, Christy

I will be looking for vanilla when I am in Cozumel this January. My mother has requested it, but I have a TERRIBLE sense of smell, so am worried about getting ripped off and being sold something fake. Do any of you have an suggestions for me as to how I can tell I'm getting the real thing? A brand, place of origin, etc.? I do speak spanish, if that will help anything.

"Vainilla Papantla" or any vainilla made there, Papantla is a municipality from Veracruz (Northeast México)

There are many brands out there. One brand I've used often is Azteca, it's widely available and most likely bottled for tourists (but oh well, it makes everything taste extra yummy) Basically read the ingredients listed. the first one should not be water. It should be vanilla beans. Also look for one labeled "contains no coumarin".

If your ship stops at roatan, buy your vanilla there, it is a lot cheaper. I've read for a large bottle anywhere from 1.50-2.00 a bottle. I've read its the really good, better than you can get in the states. I heard Cozumel is more expensive. I will find out for sure in a little over a month!

Tammy

If you can find someone with talent, the local artwork (paintings or drawings) can be very special for collecting....especially if you want a lasting something with special meaning to remind you of your honeymoon.

My mother has sailed with Carnival several times, and Cozumel is one of her favorite ports. On her last trip there, she saw a local man hand-painting a Mayan calendar on a 14" square piece of light suede leather. She said she watched him for a while as he carefully painted each area. Then she went on about her shopping. On her return, he was just finishing this piece and she stopped to talk to him about it. I have no idea what she had to pay for it, but to me it's priceless. The colors, detail and workmanship are beautiful. He signed the back of it (Pedro) and also put the date and "to" my name on the back. I've had this custom framed/matted and it's one of my dearest possessions hanging in that just right place in my home.

My dh and I are taking our first cruise Jan 8 on the Ecstasy to Progresso and Cozumel. I hope to find similar quality artwork to compliment this one.

Souviners are fine, but special occasions call for special memories. Good luck and congrats on the new beginning!

One of my favourite souvenirs from Cozumel is a handmade Mexican hammock, made by an older gentleman who works out of his home which is located across from the Zermatt Bakery and only a couple of blocks from the main street. It was light, easy to pack and bring home. We installed a couple of hooks on our front porch and I can hang it up whenever I want to use it. It brings back great memories of our relaxing time in Cozumel.

• 8 months later...
Whatever you decide to buy, don't forget to stop for tacos and margaritas AFTER you 've made your best deals! HAHA!

:eek:

Oh that made me laugh! What good advice. I wandered into a jewelry store after a few hours at Carlos and Charlie's. That was quite a bill.:)

Archived