a Positive comment about a DVD Player in the Dining Room

Cruise Arizona

I just wanted to post that I was seated in the very next table from Shellie and her Extended family. The two pre school age boys enjoyed watching a movied during dinner, and we were in the next table over and it did not bother or distract us in the least.

I know some peopel had reservations about this, but it worked out great for their extended family. Everyone got to come to dinner, and little ones were entertained while the adults could also enjoy themselves.

So it worked out really well for them, and I think it can work out well in the right situation!!!

You know, families need to do what works for them. If having the

younger children occupied by a DVD player while the rest of the family

is enjoying their dinner, along with EVERYONE else around them, then

go for it.

It would not bother me in the least and I don't understand why it

should bother others.

The object is for everyone to enjoy their cruise and people should be

happy that the children are not interupting their dinner. The parents

should be applauded for their efforts in making that possible.

You know, families need to do what works for them. If having the younger children occupied by a DVD player while the rest of the family is enjoying their dinner, along with EVERYONE else around them, then go for it.

It would not bother me in the least and I don't understand why it

should bother others. The object is for everyone to enjoy their cruise and people should be happy that the children are not interupting their dinner. The parents should be applauded for their efforts in making that possible.

I will first admit I do not know these kids, and will also admit I would be grateful they are occuppied and not disrupting the dining room.

But, as a parent having raised three daughters and grandparent who regularly dines with my and other family grandchildren, if they were my kids, I would be concerned of what I was teaching them and what expectations I was creating. What happens when we go to dinner and we don't have the DVD player (or the battery is dead).

Dining is always a challenge for young children's patience and control. A TV to me just is not the tool to teach them those social skills. But of course, the dining room is not where you should start teaching them those skills. They should come prepared.

Just my feelings offered for consideration. Sorry I didn't jump on the cheering bandwagon.

I just wanted to post that I was seated in the very next table from Shellie and her Extended family. The two pre school age boys enjoyed watching a movied during dinner, and we were in the next table over and it did not bother or distract us in the least.

I know some peopel had reservations about this, but it worked out great for their extended family. Everyone got to come to dinner, and little ones were entertained while the adults could also enjoy themselves.

So it worked out really well for them, and I think it can work out well in the right situation!!!

Thanks, Suzanne. It was nice being seated by you guys, too!!! Your kids are so sweet! Anyway, I think we hit success by staying flexible with the kids at dinner. A couple nights we brought the DVD players (yep, we actually had two-The oldest boy had a tiny handheld one), a few nights we brought toys, several nights we sent the older kids to the kids club for dinner, and some nights Tommy and Daddy went to sushi instead of the dining room. I think my brother got pizza or room service with his kids a couple of the nights, too. Since it was an 11-night cruise we really got to experiment with different things, LOL.

To anyone with a borderline potty-trained 3-yr-old...My nephew got kicked out of the kids club after a 2nd pee accident. So, they're pretty serious about this. Even though he's perfect at home, being in a weird enviorment, weird toilet, overly excited, crazy schedule, no mom around to remind him to go, resulted in accidents. It wasn't a huge deal for us, just a minor disappointment to him, mostly.

Anyway, great cruise!!!!

Shellie

I will preface this to qualify myself as a mother who has raised 3 children and am now the grandmother of 5. I just turned 59.

For my own 2 cents: if I found myself seated next to or near a table where young children were being babysat by a DVD player or any other type of electronic entertainment during the dinner hour on a cruise ship, I would feel very sad for the children.

Dianne

I will preface this to qualify myself as a mother who has raised 3 children and am now the grandmother of 5. I just turned 59.

For my own 2 cents: if I found myself seated next to or near a table where young children were being babysat by a DVD player or any other type of electronic entertainment during the dinner hour on a cruise ship, I would feel very sad for the children.

Dianne

Come on, Dianne. I just took my kids on an 11-day cruise where we had the time of our life! You were on the cruise with us in April and you have cruised with my parents (cruising belle, Margie) who were on this cruise, too. Anyway, my kids and nephews got our undivided attention and were doted on by my entire extended family, as well as the staff and many of the other passangers. Please do not feel sad for them because two nights they got to watch a movie during dinner!!!!

Shellie

I will first admit I do not know these kids, and will also admit I would be grateful they are occuppied and not disrupting the dining room.

But, as a parent having raised three daughters and grandparent who regularly dines with my and other family grandchildren, if they were my kids, I would be concerned of what I was teaching them and what expectations I was creating. What happens when we go to dinner and we don't have the DVD player (or the battery is dead).

Dining is always a challenge for young children's patience and control. A TV to me just is not the tool to teach them those social skills. But of course, the dining room is not where you should start teaching them those skills. They should come prepared.

Just my feelings offered for consideration. Sorry I didn't jump on the cheering bandwagon.

OBVIOUSLY, I am a sucky parent and didn't "come prepared" as you say. Next you'll be saying we shouldn't have brought two three-yr-old boys and a five-yr-old boy on a cruise if they couldn't sit still in the dining room for two hours. Or, wait, we should have gone to the buffet for dinner (sooooo healthy, right! Besides, this ship didn't even have a dinner buffet). And you really think that I am teaching them poor values. Actually, I am teaching them that it is important to be with family. This is what I teach them every day at home with them. But, no worries, your opinion won't stop me from traveling the world with my children and loving it!

Love ya Shellie and enjoy your family as well. I realize watching DVd's and playing video games are the wave of the today. My 2 cents is put in as a grain of salt from a not so much older generation that realizes there is so much that can be learned and shared during dinner among family and friends. Still can't go buy the need for a DVD at the dinner table.

Dianne

Love ya Shellie and enjoy your family as well. I realize watching DVd's and playing video games are the wave of the today. My 2 cents is put in as a grain of salt from a not so much older generation that realizes there is so much that can be learned and shared during dinner among family and friends. Still can't go buy the need for a DVD at the dinner table.

Dianne

Dianne, I only took exception to your comment that you would feel "sad" for them. Seriously, these kids are surrounded constantly by people who love them. They are awesome boys and are really becoming excellent travelers. My nephews have traveled near and far with my brother and sis-in-law and my children have, of course, traveled extensively as well. Seriously, though, not every single moment of a vacation has to be a learning moment. Sometimes you just want to sit down and relax, without bothering other people. And, on those occasions, a DVD player can be a great tool.

Would people feel "sad" for the kids or feel that valuable learning opportunities were being missed if they were in the kids club or being babysat in the cabin, or left for 11 days while the parents cruised??? How about if they were coloring? Would they be missing out on love and learning??? Or is it only if they are using something that uses a battery?

A couple of the nights I brought pipe cleaners to dinner and we all had fun making shapes and playing around. Obviously, it was something that was fun for everyone and integrated the kids. But EVERY night doesn't have to be like that, does it?

Dianne

Sorry, I don't feel sad for the children at all. I also raised two children

and have 3 grandchildren. I do not know Shellie and have no idea if she

allows her children to watch the DVD EVERY night at dinner. I thought

we were discussing dinner nites on their cruise. She could have gotten

a sitter for the children, had them in camp or ordered room service. She

chose to take them to dinner as a family. If the DVD player allowed

the family to enjoy their dinner and not disrupt the dining room while

they waited for dinner I see no harm. It was what worked for them.

I hope they enjoyed their FAMILY vacation and will continue to cruise.:)

OBVIOUSLY, I am a sucky parent and didn't "come prepared" as you say. Next you'll be saying we shouldn't have brought two three-yr-old boys and a five-yr-old boy on a cruise if they couldn't sit still in the dining room for two hours. Or, wait, we should have gone to the buffet for dinner (sooooo healthy, right! Besides, this ship didn't even have a dinner buffet). And you really think that I am teaching them poor values. Actually, I am teaching them that it is important to be with family. This is what I teach them every day at home with them. But, no worries, your opinion won't stop me from traveling the world with my children and loving it!

Sorry you need to feel so defensive. Guess constructive suggestions and observations are not welcomed. I never had the intention to extend this to critizing your parenting skills nor the relationship you have as a family.

I am sorry you do not seem secure enough to understand or listen to a differing point of view.

Shellie has a delightful extended family I might add. And those boys and baby Gracie were certainly not lacking from attention!!!!

I can vouch for the fact that on their 11 day cruise they did a lot of different things for the boys during dinner, all the different things Shellie mentioned. We were even a little dissapointed when everyone didn't make it to the dining room, because we loved seeing them have such a great time together. Two out of eleven with the DVD player is really not so bad.(And I only noticed it one night anyway.)

Now keep in mind you these are very young boys...one is three, and I think the other 4 or 5. As parents we try to balance so many things.... media time, learning time, mealtime, playtime, lots of stuff like that. Think how crazy a schedule might be for a little one on a cruise ship. I know there are some parents who say no TV at all, no video games... ect, but I have no problem with a nice balance of family time, meal time, playtime, ect, and I think that two nights with a little movie to keep the little ones entertained, while the whole family could enjoy thier time together is pretty great.

My kids are old enough now to sit through a long dinner, but I can remember when my kids were younger and we had Christmas dinner at my parents, we'd all eat together, and then the little ones would watch an episode of Barney while the adults had a chance to chat and get cleaned up....Find the balance.

I have no doubt that in a few years these boys will be seasoned cruisers relishing the fine dining experience with no need for a little distraction, but for now this worked for them. They'll be ordering the escargot everynight like mine were!!!

So if you are considering a portable DVD for an occasional meal time entertainment, don't let the naysayers get you down.

Dianne

Why would you feel sad for them? The kids I feel sorry for are the kids whose parents never allow them to experience fine dining.

My kids really enjoy eating at finer dining establishments with us. They are all boys ages 13, 10, 7. When they were younger they enjoyed eating with us as well but they were not developmentally ready to be able to stay seated without something to divert their attention from the waiting. My youngest sometimes brings a game boy with him to meals that might go a long time. He loves food so he does fine through a long meal.

We actually like our kids and we want to dine with them when we are on vaction. So we found ways to entertain them when they were small. I think it is these early experiences with fine dining that has allowed them to enoy fine dining experiences. They understand the importance of quiet voices, good table manners, interacting with servers, etc. The reason that they understand these things is that they have been exposed to them for years.

Ah. How easy it is to forget what it is like to parent small children...how the memories are so romantic...and clouded. Like my mother...who said I knew the alphabet at 9 months and was reading by 2. And she would have used a DVD player if they existed.

Shellie has a delightful extended family I might add. And those boys and baby Gracie were certainly not lacking from attention!!!!

I can vouch for the fact that on their 11 day cruise they did a lot of different things for the boys during dinner, all the different things Shellie mentioned. We were even a little dissapointed when everyone didn't make it to the dining room, because we loved seeing them have such a great time together. Two out of eleven with the DVD player is really not so bad.(And I only noticed it one night anyway.)

Now keep in mind you these are very young boys...one is three, and I think the other 4 or 5.

Thanks, Suzanne! Yep, my little Tommy is 3, and my nephews Connor and Jayden are 3 and 5. They all loved the cruise so much. Gracie, at 3-months, didn't really know that she was on a cruise, but she knew that she was getting constant attention from every person that saw her :D

Now that you mention it, I think I brought the DVD player to dinner a second night but then didn't really use it. Having Tommy's cousins around was distraction enough sometimes. So I guess it was really just one night that they really watched much of the DVD while waiting for their dinner.

The cruise that the DVD was really the lifesaver was when we cruised when Tommy was 2-1/2-yrs-old. It was also a multigenerational cruise (4 generations, including my parents and grandparents!). I wouldn't have planned this trip, but I had a kind of a last-minute opportunity to go, and when am I ever going to get to go to the Panama Canal with my grandparents again? It was a wish of my grandfather for his whole life that he visit the canal. What an awesome opportunity for my son and I to go along. I got a good price and so I booked it and went. Yes, I would have loved to do it when Tommy was, say, 5. But, life being what it is, I went with my 2-1/2-yr-old (and no hubby). I was soooooo nervous, but the DVD player worked like a charm. It was on the Celebrity Century, so there weren't alot of other dining options besides the dining room, and I really wanted to dine with my family anyway. I didn't use the in-room babysitting because he needed to eat, too, and I like my kid and I like being around him. What a great experience that was for us. And Tommy definitely didn't lack from attention there, either. There was him and eight adults!

I remember when it was considered rude to read at the dinner table.

All parents bring things to the table to keep their kids occupied: books, coloring books and crayons, or toys. Some parents use DVD players. I don't mind in the restaurant what people do: each to their own.

From a young age we taught our daughter that dinner was at a table and we chatted about things. We didn't get down early and we certainly didn't cause a fuss about being board. These are social skills that need to be taught to kids.

Personally, and it is a person thing, I wouldn't bring a DVD, Walkman nor gameboy. I prefer as a parenting technique to allow the child a form of activity that doesn't isolate them from the dinner guests and conversations.

But kids are kids and somedays they just won't play along. Some nights coloring is enough, other nights she wants a cuddle, other nights she wants to just sit there and watch the people go by.

And on some nights she was a right honory madam that caused a noisy fuss. On those nights we may move to another restaurant (buffet) and then put her in kids club, other nights she'll be put in a timeout until she gets herself in check. And on some nights when we think she's misbehaving because she wants to go somewhere else we'll let her sit and bawl her eyes out. It only lasts 5 minutes and the then works out something that works.

I am a mother of three, I would normally be against a DVD at the table but I can understand the situation, we would be cruising with our whole family, aged from 15 month old to a 75 yr old, and although my kids are in their teens I can tell it is going to be hard for the mothers of the young kids, cause they would be expected to BE there, at dinner,at events, at parties, when schedules are not approppiate for everyone, so for a situation like this I think there is no harm done...I 'd even tell my sister in law about it!...How long does dinners last? I myself get very tired when sitting there for a while, can understand does kids!!!

How long does dinners last? I myself get very tired when sitting there for a while, can understand does kids!!!

Dinners usually last close to 2 hours.

On my first cruise when my son was 20-mo, I stuck it out in the dining room every night. We took turns taking my son out of the room whenever he got fussy (which was all the time). Thank goodness my dad helped out alot. Anyway, I think I placed too much importance on the dinners. If I were to do that trip again, I would: bring a DVD player, take my dad up on his offer to take my boy to casual dinner sometimes, and myself go to casual dining sometimes. When I got over the preconceived notions of what cruising is "supposed" to be, and started doing what works, we started having alot more fun cruising!!!

Good luck with your family cruise. Hope you have a great time.

Ah. How easy it is to forget what it is like to parent small children...how the memories are so romantic...and clouded. Like my mother...who said I knew the alphabet at 9 months and was reading by 2. And she would have used a DVD player if they existed.

Ditto!

Archived