Dive Review- Belize

cruzegirl

Date-----------12/14/06

Port of Call--Belize

Dive Shop----Sea Sports Belize

2 tank dive

Again, these dives were booked as part of our Carnival Valor Scuba Cruise group. The same 12 people were booked for these dives. The shop is a small walk from the dock. Belize is very shallow and the ships must anchor quite far out. So the tender ride is about 20 minutes.

It’s a small, formal dive shop. They have the books, dive gear, wetsuits, etc. I don’t know the size of the boat but it handled 12 divers well. It’s a smaller boat, no canopy and required a back roll entry. This was new for me but I discovered my anxiety was for nothing… It was easy.

Our dive masters were John & Jumany. They were very good and thorough. We were split into 2 groups. Our first dive site was The Lounge. We planned to do our deep dive first and then go shallow on the 2nd.

We went along a small wall with lot’s of fish & coral .. Saw amazing tube sponges, barrel sponges, parrotfish, angelfish and an eel. Some saw a turtle but not me. Didn’t see that at all… Our depth for the 1st dive was 80 at the deepest with an average depth of 60. That dive was for 40 minutes, then back to the boat we went. They have you take off your weight belt/BC & hand it to them.. Then climb on the ladder back in the boat. Very easy.

We went to a private little island for our surface interval. They provided sandwiches, chips and drinks for us… It was a nice break. But bring bug repellent. Lol…. I can’t even count all the bug bites from the Noseeums. I was eaten alive. Another reason to have a dive skin….

After an almost 2 hour surface interval, we headed back out for our 2nd dive. This time we went to Shark Shoot. The name comes from it usually has nurse sharks. There was none this trip. The deepest depth was 60 ft with an average depth of 40-50 ft. Saw some of the usual critters and a Stingray as well. The colors are amazing in these places. I usually dive California and this is my first set of exposures to Caribbean diving. This dive was 46 minutes. A nice, relaxing dive… Loved it….

The dive masters were very good… And they even help you rinse your gear when you get back to the shop. It’s not a complete wash but pretty good considering most don’t have that at all.

I really enjoyed this group…. Excellent dives, lot’s to see…. Any questions, feel free to ask… I think I covered all I can think of…..

Archived