Explorer of the Seas 12/17 review and port changes

Jamielps

As was posted earlier in this thread - the woman vomited, and choked on her vomit, leading to two collapsed lungs. The Coast Guard Flight Surgeon determined that she was too unstable for transport by helicopter, and asked that the ship return to Miami.

We also heard the Alpha code called - to a cabin on deck 9 at about 7:30PM. The ship turned around at about 10PM. I have no idea whether the alpha code was for the person who needed to return to Miami or for an unrelated incident.

Thanks for the information, Danny.

I'm glad to know simply to satisfy my curiousity and to ease my mind that a fellow passenger (if only for a couple of hours) is okay, but does the reason for the course change really matter?

Whether the decisions were good ones or bad ones, I'm confident that they were made to ensure the welfare of the person at risk and not to purposefully screw up our vacations.

My beefs about the ship and the captain really have little to do with the original problem. I think the medical emergency just brought some of the problems the ship has to the surface. If all had gone well, I'd still have lousy cabin service, problems cancelling excursions, problems with the tendering process (we were scheduled to tender at 2 ports), and little-to-no information about what was going on.

Also, our waiter would still be wonderful, the food would still be the best we've experienced in any large-group situation, and my travelling companions would still have been great company.

Archived