Elation Relocating Trip

BamaCruiser20

I just received my Currents magazine. In the letter from the president, Bob says that the Elation is moving from Miami to San Diego in May 2007. He mentions it will be a 15 day trip departing May 12 and going through the Panama Canal. I couldn't find any information on this cruise on Carnival.com. Has anyone ever taken one of these relocation trips? I'm sure I can call Carnival and they'll give me the details....but, I find so much information from everyone on these boards, I figured I'd see if anyone here has any information. :)

I just received my Currents magazine. In the letter from the president, Bob says that the Elation is moving from Miami to San Diego in May 2007. He mentions it will be a 15 day trip departing May 12 and going through the Panama Canal. I couldn't find any information on this cruise on Carnival.com. Has anyone ever taken one of these relocation trips? I'm sure I can call Carnival and they'll give me the details....but, I find so much information from everyone on these boards, I figured I'd see if anyone here has any information. :)

Right now its sold out. The prices are so cheap that you really have to jump on these sailings. There might be a few cabins available if people cancel before final payment.

We booked the morning it went on sale and our pvp said they had sold half the cabins within 3-4 hours. It was completely sold out within 3 weeks. We literally watched the price go up every day until it was sold out.

The final payment date for the cruise is February 26th. You might want to start checking around the 15th. When we took the Liberty in Europe last summer the cruise had been sold out for months but 15-20 cabins opened up around final payment time.

With the Elation's Panama Canal cruise selling out so fast, you have to wonder why Carnival doesn't do more Panama Canal cruises?? Maybe in May 2008, the Legend can do back-to-back Panama Canal cruises(15 day Tampa to San Diego, then 15 day San Diego to Tampa)??

I booked a Cat 12 on the Elation for its first time through the Panama Canal and loved it. 16 days from Miami to San Francisco on a brand new ship. And it was cheap too. We never had the same menu for dinner twice.

Carnival has three main draws to the public....good ships....good itineraries and good prices! Anything that moves them away from these three goals takes away their marketing advantage.

Going through the Panama Canal is a huge expense! So Carnival 'goes' to the Panama Canal, but not into it.

Princess 'goes' to the Panama Canal too! It's ships go through the first set of locks, then back out. I am told that this little trip through the first locks costs Princess $245,000 USD per trip.:eek:

Now compare the prices between the two of 'going' to the Panama Canal!

You can bet when Carnival sat down and decided how they were going to re-position a ship from Miami to San Diego they looked at two routes...although there are three! They looked at fuel, distance, time and popularity of the cruise...then went through the Canal instead of around South America....or across the Atlantic, through the Med, down the Suez Canal, across the Arabian Sea, across the Indian Ocean, all around SE Asia and finally across the Pacific Ocean to San Diego!!!:D :)

To be pefectly honest I would have sold my first born to pay for option three....:eek: but going through the Canal gives Carnival good itnerary...shorter travel time...easier on fuel...and the length of cruise that its demographics prefer and can afford. Ship sold out three or four weeks! That was a no brainer choice!

Tom:)

With the Elation's Panama Canal cruise selling out so fast, you have to wonder why Carnival doesn't do more Panama Canal cruises?? Maybe in May 2008, the Legend can do back-to-back Panama Canal cruises(15 day Tampa to San Diego, then 15 day San Diego to Tampa)??

2 years ago Paradise and Ecstacy swapped places and Carnival had two Panama Canal cruises in a 2 week span. Those also sold out fast. The only reason Carnival does PC cruises is to move a ship from the west to the east coast or vice versa. The prices usually start around $800 for a 15 day cruise.

Archived