Suggestions for Copenhagen and Surrounding Area

swdke

Hope this information will help in your planning.

There are two castles that are a definite must, and easy to do, in Frederiskborg castle in Hillerod, and Kronborg castle in Helsingor. Frederiksborg is by far the most beautiful castle in all of Denmark. Web site link to view the castle. http://wictor.dk/wictor/frederiksborg/autofrb.html If the address or link does not work, just search under frederiksborg web cam on your engine browser. The other, Kronborg, is the one used as the setting in Shakespeare’s Hamlet. Both castles can be done in one day. It’s very simple to take a train from Copenhagen to Hillerod, about a 30 min. ride. Then take a short walk through the town from the train station, and take a self tour through Frederiksborg castle. Or, you could take a taxi; the castle is not far from the station.

Afterwards, you can walk back to the train station and take a train to Helsingor. From the station there, you can easily see Kronborg and walk to the castle, about a 20 min. walk. Once you exit the train station in Helsingor, you can see the castle; it's about a 15-20 min. walk. When you buy your entrance ticket, be sure to also get a ticket for the casemates, if I recall, this was an extra cost. There is also a maritime museum, make sure you see everything, the castle, the casemates, and the maritime museum. Web site to Kronborg http://www.kronborgcastle.com/html/frame/frame.htm

In Helsingor, be sure to get ice cream on a street called Brostraede, its right by the train station. Simply go out the main station doors, turn a slight left, and look for an alley named Brostraede. It should all be in view from the train station. There will probably be flags hanging off the outside wall, down in the alley. Brostraede is essentially a small alley, no cars. The ice cream shop is on the right side of the alley, it’s very small in size, but well known to all the Danes. Get the ice cream in a hand made waffle cone, and be sure to ask for the whipped cream and chocolate covered cream ball on top, and topped with strawberry preserve.

Also, next to the Helsingor train station, is the ferry to Helsingborg, Sweden. If you had time, you could take the ferry over to Helsingborg and walk around. I may be wrong, and forgive me if I am, but there is noting specific to see in Helsingborg, but going there would simply add to your adventure. Actually, there is some kind of old building or fort, I think it’s called a “Keep” but it's relatively small, but certainly something to see and do while there. Also, you could take a train south to Lund, Sweden, not far from Malmo. Unfortunately, I've never been to Lund, but a Danish friend says it's a very nice town. From there, when finished sightseeing, you can take the train back over to Copenhagen, which is directly across the water from Malmo, Sweden. I am very keen on doing this as the bridge is relatively new. Previously, I had to take a ferry across, but I understand the bridge is a wonder, and I’d like to travel over it.

Or, from Helsingor, Denmark, you can take the train back to Copenhagen; this will take about an hour. On this train route, there is a stop in Humlebaek, where there is the famous Lousiana museum. It’s a museum of modern art, and defiantly a must if you’re interested in art. Although it’s a nice museum, I don’t recall it being large in size. Maybe I am wrong, but I’d estimate it can be done in an hour. Also, along the way back to Copenhagen, there is a train stop in Klampenborg along the coast, and the station is only a 10 min walk to Dyrehaven (Deer Park.) Here you can catch a horse drawn carriage through some of the park. Odds are you will see antlered deer, wild in the park. Also, this is the same place as Bakken, which is an amusement park, similar to Tivoli. However, where as Tivoli is focused on the beauty of a city park, with restaurants, entertainment, and lights, Bakken is focused more on rides only. It's no Disneyland, Kings Island, or Six Flags, but admittance is free and you can walk around people watching. I admit, going to Hillerod, Helsingor, Helsingborg-Sweden, Humlebaek, and Klampenborg all in one day might be a bit much. Also, I forgot to mention that from Helsingor, you can take another train to the town of Gilleleje. It's a popular place for Danes to visit on the north shore of the island for beaches. It is a good place to have lunch, and spend some time on the beach on a sunny day.

Another palace worthy of visiting in the countryside is Fredensborg Palace and Chapel hours from 1 PM – 4:30 PM. The queen actually resides here at certain times of the year. Yes, as I am sure you know, Denmark has a monarchy. It’s even older than the English monarchy, but a lot less formal. The Prince, Crown Prince Frederick, was married last year to a woman from Australia that he met at the Olympics in 2000. The wedding was a very big deal in Denmark, and even made the US National News. I have an email address and name of the Palace Steward for information on tours in English. Although a bus can be taken, I don’t think I’d have the time to do this unless I have a car.

Oh, another place definitely worth visiting, is to take a train to the town of Roskilde, about 30 min. outside of Copenhagen, to visit the Viking Museum, and also the Roskilde Church. The Viking Museum is well worth the visit as well as the Church in town which is the burial church for all the Danish Monarchy.

Back in Copenhagen, be sure to go up the Round Tower, it’s on another pedestrian street intersecting Strøget. I believe the street is called Kobmagergade, but if I am wrong, basically it's the "other" pedestrian street intersecting Strøget. It’s only about 4-5 stories high, but offers a fantastic view. Doing this takes only about 30 min. or less.

Christainborg palace in Denmark is in the city, and services as the house of Danish Parliament. There are tours conducted in English. Check out the web site for information on English tours. http://www.ses.dk/english.php

Be sure to stop at one of the sidewalk cafes along Nyhavn harbor and enjoy a drink, snack, or lunch. I would recommend catching the harbor canal boat tour from Nyhavn. The tour is conducted in several languages, including English. On the tour is a view of the Little Mermaid. Also, Carlsberg Beer has a brewery tour in Copenhagen if you're interested and have the time. Although it’s in the city, a bus would be required to get there as it’s too far to walk from the general center of the city.

Amalienborg, this is another royal residence in Copenhagen, very close to Nyhavn, and the Little Mermaid statue. Be sure to check out the changing of the guard. If the queen is in residence, the ceremony is more elaborate, if not, it's still interesting.

Also, there are English tours available at Rosenborg castle too. Rosenborg is another castle in the city. It’s not a residence for the queen, but a museum. In the “basement” is where the crown jewels are kept.

For lunch in Copenhagen, I recommend eating outside at Peder Oxe, or dining inside for dinner. Or, any café along Nyhavn would be nice. It’s a beautiful setting, and wonderful for people watching. Also Groften in Tivoli is great too. You can even make online reservations.

Tivoli, have dinner there at least one evening, if not more. Fireworks are Saturday and Wednesday. True, it's an amusement park, but it's so much more. There’s entertainment, nearly 30 restaurants, and a beautiful park like setting with a lake, and lights at night. Plus, it's not big, it's easy to get around, very cozy, and a wonderful way to spend an evening. For people who expect or want to compare Tivoli to Disney World or Six Flags, then they are just not getting the point of what Tivoli is about, and missing out on a wonderful evening. Visit Tivoli in the evening, because in my opinion, because it’s just not the same atmosphere in the Day, although still fun.

SHOPPING: Stroget is a mile long shopping street, no cars. I recommend these stores: Illums Bolighus, Royal Copenhagen, Georg Jensen, and Holmegaard Glass. These are all along Strøget, although I think Holmegaard Glass on a street just off Strøget. Denmark is famous for modern design, and these shops will give you the best idea of what Danish modern design is all about. Be sure to ask about buying tax free. There is a way to get back the tax you pay as you leave the country. Any merchant can explain how easy this is to do.

One last thing, Copenhagen is extremely safe, so go out and enjoy yourself.

Have fun in this remarkable and wonderful city.

Steve

Archived