Not another "I had a bad experience" first post

themoon

I just came to check if anyone else had any answers to my question and instead I've learned that you don't even have to follow the guidelines of this site and you are still allowed to do what you wish. :rolleyes:

First I'd like to say that your original post really had no questions...it was just 'your two cents', correct??

As for that original post I have a comment about what you said which may cause you to look at this in a different light.

Personally, I think this message board is about critiquing, not being critical. These are two different things. If people ONLY came on here to post complaints it would be an awful source for information. I, myself know of several posters who do as you say and keep the good stuff (if there are any in their experiences) to themselves and do nothing but complain on here. I have these folks on 'ignore'...why? Because I can't take them seriously. NOTHING can be all bad, and if someone is always on here with alll negative things to say, I just can't take them seriously. So you see, posting the good and the bad is really essential to a board like this. There have been plenty of reviews on here that were negative but they were presented in a way that was well thought out, well balanced and objective. It's the posts made by folks who come on ranting and raging over events or occurences (which most cases could have been avoided if they had done a little research) that get attacked or the old :rolleyes: response from the regulars here.

Personally also, I feel sad that some people always make time to complain but never make time to say anything good. And take into consideration when posting your 'only negative' reviews, that there might be a hell of a lot of people that would blow you off just because they've never seen you post anything positive.

That's just my 2 cents.

This is a typical example of what happens....a first time poster comes here and says...."we hated it"...then someone posts "give us an example of what went wrong"....and they never seem to answer that.:confused: ......Maybe the OP will come back and give some examples.....or not.:cool:

As a moderator I would hope that you have read the same posts that I have over the last year. I did not post to point fingers or I would have posted on the threads that I am referring to. I did however try to point out that not everyone talks about what goes well or asks questions. Some people just read the posted information and do searches when they have a question and are only motivated to write when things go wrong. To make myself perfectly clear, I will rephrase my question in less polite terms:

Why must these posters so often be treated like trolls?:confused:

As a moderator I would hope that you have read the same posts that I have over the last year. I did not post to point fingers or I would have posted on the threads that I am referring to. I did however try to point out that not everyone talks about what goes well or asks questions. Some people just read the posted information and do searches when they have a question and are only motivated to write when things go wrong. To make myself perfectly clear, I will rephrase my question in less polite terms:

Because many of them are? Granted, not all, but the posters who have been here for years have seen this too many times to count. Maybe we've become a bit cynical with negative first-time posters. If you read Randy's post, you'll see that the hosts here can pretty much tell who is legitimate and who isn't so we DO have some trolls, maybe a lot. ;)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Oh I can answer that........because MOST are....I know for a fact and then our long time CCers can spot them immediately....hope that helps.

What are the symtoms of "trollism". Just curious?

What are the symtoms of "trollism". Just curious?

You heard the saying......"if it walks like a duck....".:p .but we have other ways...but I could spot them before I was a host....as well as the longtimers on here......so if you see a duck.....hit the triangle!:D

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
You heard the saying......"if it walks like a duck....".:p .but we have other ways...but I could spot them before I was a host....as well as the longtimers on here......so if you see a duck.....hit the triangle!:D

so you can examine their IP address and info to determine they are a troll, right?

I have come to assume that a troll is someone who creates an identity on here for only one post/thread solely to stir up the pot -- is that a correct definition of a troll?

It must be nice to have the gift of ESP. As I am not blessed with this ability, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.;)

Definitions of a troll as respects the internet:

4.troll

1a. Noun

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

1b. Noun

A person who, on a message forum of some type, attacks and flames other members of the forum for any of a number of reasons such as rank, previous disagreements, sex, status, ect.

A troll usually flames threads without staying on topic, unlike a "Flamer" who flames a thread because he/she disagrees with the content of the thread.

1c. Noun

A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

So a troll can be an internet bullie.

Only in the short term. A true troll will be gone quickly. They tend to be one post wonders that last only as long as it takes to get themselves banned or to get the satisfaction that was their intent in posting in the first place.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Definitions of a troll as respects the internet:

4.troll

1a. Noun

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.

1b. Noun

A person who, on a message forum of some type, attacks and flames other members of the forum for any of a number of reasons such as rank, previous disagreements, sex, status, ect.

A troll usually flames threads without staying on topic, unlike a "Flamer" who flames a thread because he/she disagrees with the content of the thread.

1c. Noun

A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject, as well as thinks every member of the forum is talking about them and only them. Trolls often go by multiple names to circumvent getting banned.

Wow!!!!:eek: If those are the definitions . . . then there are several members of the old time CCers who are definitely trolls. They rarely add anything to the subject matter being discussed but rather are the first to jump in with a smart aleck remark that is almost guaranteed to upset a newbie who dares to post an independent thought.

And no Deb, you and GC are definitely not a Trolls. Y'all stick to the subject matter.

It must be nice to have the gift of ESP. As I am not blessed with this ability, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.;)

You are not alone. Many of us feel the same. However, when questioned for clarity a troll will not answer or will give an evasive, non-answer. They tend to become flamers if they post more than once. Stick around a while. The more you see, the easier they are to spot. ;)

So buf a troll can be anyone who disagrees with anothers opinion. Yes.

Ha, ha, haaa! You changed your question! :D To answer your new question. No. Sometimes I disagree with my best friends. That doesn't make any of us trolls, just people with different points of view on the same subject. ;)

You are not alone. Many of us feel the same. However, when questioned for clarity a troll will not answer or will give an evasive, non-answer. They tend to become flamers if they post more than once. Stick around a while. The more you see, the easier they are to spot. ;)

I realize that trolls exist, but just because you don't respond after you've been attacked doesn't make you a troll. Sometimes a person can just be shocked by the responses and back away rather than open themselves up to a further barrage of criticism. As another poster pointed out, the name "Cruise Critic" could make some folks search this forum out in order to do just that, criticize.

I realize that trolls exist, but just because you don't respond after you've been attacked doesn't make you a troll. Sometimes a person can just be shocked by the responses and back away rather than open themselves up to a further barrage of criticism. As another poster pointed out, the name "Cruise Critic" could make some folks search this forum out in order to do just that, criticize.

I agree with you to a point. Some people take questions and criticism as attacks when they truly are not. It takes a thick skin to post on an internet forum as large as this one. If people are attacked or mistake questioning as an attack, then they are likely not to post again for fear of repeated incidents. What I see as an attack, others may simply see as a difference of opinion. It's all in the point of view.

Still waiting for you to define what you meant by belittle and attack???????????????

...examples would be great!

I agree with mrdood....

Here we sit still waiting for "someone" to give some examples...........after more posts on the thread....

Please hurry, it's getting near my bed time...

Do you feel this was done to you...and when? Who was the terrible person that might have done this?

Jessemon, I guess you skimmed over my post explaining that the point was not to point fingers. If you are asking me if I was ever attacked, the answer is no, and if ever I was, rest assured that I would not be intimidated and disappear quietly.

I rarely post on here but read these boards daily. When I have a ? I ask . The rest of the time I just read what I think sounds good and applies to the cruiseline or ship I am thinking of sailing on next.

Now my question is why do people not find these boards until after they've gone on a cruise. I got on here months before my first cruise was booked to get all the info I could and then I read the ports of call boards to see what excursions I wanted to do. I really think that if they could find this board after the cruise why not find it before and then they might save themselves a lot of headaches. Just my 2 cents I'll hush now and go back to reading.

Gina

Trollspotting 101

Clue 1: Someone posts a negative post, most often with nothing good to say.

Clue 2: The negative stuff is both vague and/or extreme, i.e., everything was dirty, all the shows were bad, I didn't like the food.

Clue 3: When questioned (as in what didn't you like about the shows or didn't you like ANY of the food and what was wrong with it?) OP does not respond.

Clue 4: If the OP does respond, he takes offense at being 'challenged' and does not answer any questions no matter how benignly put.

Clue 5: It's the OP's first post.

Clue 6: The OP complains about things that are not the cruise line's responsibility, i.e., the cab driver took the long way to the pier and overcharged us.

Clue 7: The OP includes petty things in his tirade, i.e., my dining room waiter forgot my ice tea once.

The greater the number of clues you see in a post, the greater the chance that you are looking at a troll.

themoon, There are a lot of different types of people responding to comments made on these boards. Any comment can, and most likely will be taken in differing perspectives depending upon the readers understanding and background. Generally belittling and attacking, as a response, are done because of the readers ability (inability) to solve problems.

Me, I am most of the time a nice guy. I try not to belittle or attackpeople. Generally I do try to figure out what the person is saying, and perhaps be empathetic as well. SOMETIMES on rare occations, I will come back with a comment because of the blatent stupidy demonstrated by the writer. So much so that I believe that my response would be most effective in getting my point across. However I can only answer for myself and no one else.

So my point in answering your question is that there are probably 1000's of reasons. Most likely that the comment was (in the perspective of the reader who does attack) quite stupid, and unresearched. Or thousands of other reasons.

HTH

FF

Jessemon, I guess you skimmed over my post explaining that the point was not to point fingers. If you are asking me if I was ever attacked, the answer is no, and if ever I was, rest assured that I would not be intimidated and disappear quietly.

No...did not skim over it and good for you at standing up for yourself if you felt the need. I did several times when I started posting on these boards.

They are very informative.

Just wondered why you took on this subject if it hasn't happened to you.

Archived