Basically, Costa Maya Must

Lilactress

Is there any comparison to the Cats Meow over the Maya Palms resort?

We have reservations at the Maya Palms, but it seems so far to go for maybe the exact same beach setting. Anybody been to both that can give me a suggestion??

We are just wanting a nice, relaxing beach day in Costa Maya.....of course great food would be nice too:D

Ok, let me get this straight.

You paid $40 for your taxi, your food and drinks for the day? We looked into Tequilla Beach, and they wanted $110 for our family of four. We leave in 28 days and Costa Maya is our last stop. We had planned to go to Tequilla Beach, but after this, we may be chaning our plans. Please set me straight if I've got the story wrong. Thanks.:)

Hi all! Thanks for the great info. here!:D I do have one question for you though as we will be leaving for our first cruise 3-31 with Costa Maya on our itinerary. Before reading all of this here, I have already booked and paid for the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins excursion, my question is will I still have time to visit Mahajual Beach for lunch/drinks/massage/shopping...???:confused: Our ship arrives in Costa Maya at noon and departs at 8pm...so I'm thinking not. Any suggestions or tips for a newbie who didnt know any better and already booked through the cruiseline??

We will be there next week and just want to be sure I am clear on the location of the Cat's Meow. Is it in Majahual or at the port area? Thanks.:D

It's near the "pier" end of town, Majahual--if you are able, ask to be let off at the near end of town rather than the usual middle of town. Just walk past some street blocking barricades, and a bunch of waiting taxis, to the Cat about 50 yards. It's both on the water side on the beach and on the other side of the street.

Tequila Beach is easier to justify the price if you want the liveliest bar and beach seen in town. It also is easier to justify the money spent if you are really planning on drinking alot. The bars in town are much more laid back and don't do the all-you-can-drink thing. If you did drink til your liver burst, you'd probably still spend less than Tequila Beach.

If your ship leaves at 8, I'd bet you have at least two hours to venture through town.

Hi all! Thanks for the great info. here!:D I do have one question for you though as we will be leaving for our first cruise 3-31 with Costa Maya on our itinerary. Before reading all of this here, I have already booked and paid for the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins excursion, my question is will I still have time to visit Mahajual Beach for lunch/drinks/massage/shopping...???:confused: Our ship arrives in Costa Maya at noon and departs at 8pm...so I'm thinking not. Any suggestions or tips for a newbie who didnt know any better and already booked through the cruiseline??

The tour takes roughly 4 hours, so you should have time for a couple of drinks at least...

In your picture link you show the Pilot Boat returning a passenger to the cruise ship. I'm just curious as to how you know that is what was happening?

Apparently it happens quite often. We watched a HAL ship leave before us last year and there was a well sunburned and staggering couple attempt to run to the boat as it was pulling away. A fisherman in a small boat finally offered to take them and he rushed them out to the ship. The funniest part is that they had a case of tequila that they took great care not to drop, but I think it was their fee for the fisherman to take them out. It did not make it off his boat! :eek:

Happened again in Jamaica. Captain did is fancy sideways pull out and turn and as the pilot boat pulled up to get the pilot, they traded a well blistered American. Kind of wish we kept the pilot:rolleyes:

For all you past beach goers. I was looking in to Costa Maya Beach Break Party through Island Marketing for $30/person or Costa Maya Beach Resort Getaway for $32.00/person. Wonder if it makes sense to prepay an excursion or just go to Mahahual. Want to make sure to have a shade area. Both have all you can drink. Wonder what avg margarita or pina colada drink price would be and if the per person charge makes sense.

Anyone familiar with this or is it just as easy to take taxi for $3/pp and find a chair

I just wanted to say that I absolutlely loved your pics that you posted. It looks like so much fun !

Cant wait for my cruise now !

I opened up a webshot account to post my photos also after I get back.:D

Can you tell me how often they do the dance shows at the pier?

I would like to see it before I go to the beach. I am planning on signing up for parasailing also .:cool:

Cat's Meow is in Majahual. The port area was very crowded and too commercial. When we first got there -port area- we did not know which way to go to get to the taxis. We caught a shuttle,and you have to go out of the port area.My hubbie was kinda skittish about this. After we got to Majahual,he really enjoyed himself. There is a girl sitting in a window where you purchase your pass for 3.00. Many people got off at Tequila Beach,it looked nice,this was the first stop. Next stop was in the middle of town. We walked the whole street,you may catch a taxi at the end of the street or the beginning of the street. Pez Quadro also looks nice,they have swing bar seats. The beach is beautiful.

Thanks for all the good info. Can you tell me if one could get around the town in a wheelchair? I would love to explore the town, but my DH is in a wheelchair, will he be able to get into the restaurants? Thanks again for posting such good information and pictures, they were great.

Gramsk:

My husband was also in a wheelchair when we were in Costa Maya a few years ago. We just went to town to pick up the David & Ivan ruins tour so I can not tell you much about the town. My memory was that the road went in back of the main "street" which was made of packed earth so it was difficult, but passable for a wheelchair. We only went as far as the Cat's Meow which I believe was up only one or 2 steps - again not truly accessible, but manageable for a manual wheelchair.

Gramsk:

My husband was also in a wheelchair when we were in Costa Maya a few years ago. We just went to town to pick up the David & Ivan ruins tour so I can not tell you much about the town. My memory was that the road went in back of the main "street" which was made of packed earth so it was difficult, but passable for a wheelchair. We only went as far as the Cat's Meow which I believe was up only one or 2 steps - again not truly accessible, but manageable for a manual wheelchair.

Thank you for the information, we will probably park the guys at Cat's Meow and then enjoy the beach and check out the town.

• 4 months later...

Another alternative to Tequila Beach is to ask about an open bar special at one of the restaurants along the beach. We were at Tapas and the table next to us paid $25 per person for 3 hours of all you could drink. They sure got their money's worth. :D The waiter even delivered tequila shooters to them out in the water.

Our family of 5 enjoyed a bucket of 6 ice cold beers, a couple of "Sex on the Beach"s. some sodas, chips, salsa and guacamole for about $50. We spent the most relaxing day of our cruise on their beautiful white sand beach with our toes in the water. Our table, shaded by an umbrella, was right on the water and was no cost, just the expectation to buy some food and drink.

We would highly recommend Tapas. It was "muy simpatico".

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Cat's Meow just beause I read good things about it here at Cruisecritic.com. It turned out it was very overpriced, and the waiter was practically stole my money by telling me that he didn't have any change.

The worst part of the story is that I had a horrible food poisoning after eating at Cat's Meow. I had be confined to my room for 24 hours as a result of eating at Cat's Meow. Running to the bathroom every 5 minutes, fever, shaking, sweating, etc.. You don't want that for your vacation.

Stay away from Cat's Meow.

I went to Cat's Meow just beause I read good things about it here at Cruisecritic.com. It turned out it was very overpriced, and the waiter was practically stole my money by telling me that he didn't have any change.

The worst part of the story is that I had a horrible food poisoning after eating at Cat's Meow. I had be confined to my room for 24 hours as a result of eating at Cat's Meow. Running to the bathroom every 5 minutes, fever, shaking, sweating, etc.. You don't want that for your vacation.

Stay away from Cat's Meow.

Somehow you forgot to mention in this repeat telling of your story that you ordered the raw seafood dish at Cat's Meow. Some people might find that to be a relevant detail in your story.

Disclaimer: I've never been there, and given the devastation of Dean it sure looks like no one else will ever get the chance.

Archived