Snorkeling in Jamaica

Toronto-Jamaica

I'm new to CC, read some stuff about snorkeling in Jamaica. I lived there for 13 years and have been back about 6 times.

If you are cruising into Montego Bay, take a cab to Doctor's Cave Beach. The entry fee is about $5. There is a marine park that extends for miles off of the beach. The reef starts just inside the buoy line of the beach, about 50 yards from shore. I often swim past the buoy line about 30 yards to the main reef, watch for boats. There is glass bottom boat and catamaran that will take you out if you don't want to swim the boat channel. The water depth is from a few feet to about 50 feet. I have seen tonnes of corral, fish... Unlike Cozumel there is no current to deal with. Take bread with you and feed the fish. There are life guards, restaurants and bathrooms at the beach, it is clean and safe.

In Ocho Rios, either East or West of the town there is good beach snorkeling with reefs that have very little stress.

Paul

I'm new to CC, read some stuff about snorkeling in Jamaica. I lived there for 13 years and have been back about 6 times.

If you are cruising into Montego Bay, take a cab to Doctor's Cave Beach. The entry fee is about $5. There is a marine park that extends for miles off of the beach. The reef starts just inside the buoy line of the beach, about 50 yards from shore. I often swim past the buoy line about 30 yards to the main reef, watch for boats. There is glass bottom boat and catamaran that will take you out if you don't want to swim the boat channel. The water depth is from a few feet to about 50 feet. I have seen tonnes of corral, fish... Unlike Cozumel there is no current to deal with. Take bread with you and feed the fish. There are life guards, restaurants and bathrooms at the beach, it is clean and safe.

In Ocho Rios, either East or West of the town there is good beach snorkeling with reefs that have very little stress.

Paul

Hey Paul, me again. Do you think it is dangerous if we get out into the boat channel to snorkel? While I am very anxious about seeing all of the under water life, I really don't want to lose my life doing so. lol.

Thanks again.

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

You can see boats from far and cross the channel in about 30 seconds ( with fins). If the life guards see you cross the buoy line, they may blow their whistles, pretending I am deaf has always worked. There are some neat canyons and more reef outside the buoy, it goes for miles.

Paul

Because of the sea grass between the shore and the island at Tower Isle, people don't snorkel a lot. Around the island is beautiful. I would recomend a cab ride to Doctor's Cave, the marine park is there and just outside the buoy line is where the dive boats take people. I don't know where Sunset Beach is.

Paul

Archived