New Orleans Cruisers

Em6554

Hey Everyone! I will be on the Conquest on 9/5 leaving out of New Orleans and am flying in a day early to get a jump start on my vacation. I was just wondering what restaurants and bars are a must see in this area and what other cruisers who have gone to NO have done while they were there. I tried asking a similar quesiton on the Ports of Call board but think I will have a better response rate here. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

~E

Em - one place I always like to go is Pat O'Brien's for the famous Hurricane. Of course, there are alot of things to do and see in NO and you will have a great time.

You might want to do a search for a post titled "Good Places to eat in NO" - posted by me. I had alot of great suggestions for dining.

Happy Cruising!

[size=3][color=darkorchid][b][i]Em6554, Since you have the time I would suggest also that you go online and order the book from New Orleans Tourism Marketing Corporation. You can view them on NewOrleansOnline.com The book is called New Orleans Good Times Guide 2004.[/i][/b][/color][/size]
[b][/b]

[size=3][color=darkorchid][b][i]They have about $2400 worth of coupons and all kinds of information that you might find useful. I lived in NO, go there often and still go thru the book. You will also get some useful info from the folks that live in and about NO pretty soon.[/i][/b][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=darkorchid][b][i]phinfan63 has some good info also.[/i][/b][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=darkorchid][b][i]Have a good time and a great cruise.[/i][/b][/color][/size]

You must do Breakfast at Brennan's. Other places that I would recommend are:

Arnauds, Bourbon House, Central Grocery (for a world famous muffaletta), Cafe Maspero (casual sandwich stop), Peristyles, Irene's, Bacco.

I know you will not have time to try all of these, but which ever ones you pick you will not go wrong.

You must go to Cafe Du Monde for Biengets and Coffee... the best!!!! Open 24 hours.

Locals love going to Camilla Grille for real home town food at the end of the St. Charles Streetcar line.

But beware the day/weekend you are coming in --we are coming back that day on the Conquest and staying another day, going home Monday -- there's a special convention in town called "Southern Decadence." A very wild bunch according to their website. Some locals warned me about it -- you might want to check it out before you go. Since we are travelling with kids, we are going to stick to the more tame, kid-oriented attractions AWAY from Bourbon Street!

Have a great time. We'll get the place jumpin' for you!

Hi
For the best ribs I have ever tasted go to the Crescent City Brewhouse. They also have an assortment of 6 or 7 of their own beers that hubby really enjoyed. I was a little mystified as to why they would put mashed potatoes with the ribs though instead of baked beans or coleslaw??I also liked the Farmers market thing way back at the back of the French Quarter.

Sara

Here are two links on the Food Network:

This is a list of all the New Orleans shows:
[url="http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?Show=+&searchType=EpisodeTopic&searchString=new+orleans&WeekNumber"]http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?Show=+&searchType=EpisodeTopic&searchString=new+orleans&WeekNumber[/url]=+

This is the one I was talking about:
[url="http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ad/episode/0,,FOOD_9947_23060,00.html"]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ad/episode/0,,FOOD_9947_23060,00.html[/url]

[quote name='christhree'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=red]Well...we now know where to EAT in NO, but what hotels are best for pre-cruise stay?????:cool: [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
But isn't it all about the food ;)

The two hotels bandied about this board the most are [url="http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=MSYNHHH"]Riverside Hilton[/url] (for the $99 one night + parking cruise deal) and [url="http://www.maisonstcharles.com/pages/map.html"]Maison St. Charles[/url] (for the $84/night up to 4 nights prior cruise and limo special)

I've chosen Maison St. Charles, because we're flying in 4 days early to get married before our cruise.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]ThanX BottledRed...I have some TIME to investigate...and hopefully, we'll be flying in , so no parking probs there, LOL.[/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=red]Congrats on your impending marriage !!![/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=black]Yall will have a great time...and not just in the cabin...:D [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='christhree'][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]ThanX BottledRed...I have some TIME to investigate...and hopefully, we'll be flying in , so no parking probs there, LOL.[/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=5][color=red]Congrats on your impending marriage !!![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=black]Yall will have a great time...and not just in the cabin...:D [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Thanks!!! This board is a lifesaver for an obsessive planner like me :)

Archived