Cell phones on the ship? Maybe soon!

dawnc

I guess I have a different opinion about this.

First of all, emergencies come up at work, and it doesn't mean that your company is poorly managed. Also, a lot of people who go on a cruise leave kids, pets, and spouses behind...again, emergencies happen. I am leaving behind my husband and my dog (who I treat like my child) to go on my cruise with a group of girlfriends. Although I don't plan to call him, it would be nice for him to be able to get in touch with me if necessary. I have a grandfather with cancer. I would really like to know if something happened to him while I was away.

I, for one, think it is great that cell phones will eventually be able to be used on ships. However, I do agree that they should be restricted to use only in a person's cabin.

...it would be nice for him to be able to get in touch with me if necessary. QUOTE]

THAT's why they have the two little cards in your docs - for you to give to people in case they need to get in touch with you!:)

Exactly Cotton:D People have been doing just fine for decades this way... there is always a way to get in touch with a passenger if you have an emergency...

I guess I just prefer the cheaper and more efficient way should someone need to be in touch. Still, it should be managed to just emergencies of some sort out of courtesy for fellow passengers. I too, have 2 parents terminally ill, 5 pets, and a family I will be leaving behind. If I can save $50 on a phone call, then that's more $$$ I can spend on my vacation :)

I know they will end up being abused, but I'm hoping that most cruisers will be courteous with the service.

Okay, God forbid anyone ever has an emergency, but out of curiousity... what would you do if you did? I know you can wait until you get to the next port and fly out but I would think it would be just horrible knowing something had happened and have to wait to get to a port to go home...

I would say a majority of the time, give people at home your cell phone # and the "reasons" they call will be "less" of an emergency and they would have never thought of spending a lot of $$$$ to make a call to the ship, had the cell phone option not been available.... we are creatures of convenience.... How long have cruise ships been around? And cell phones have never worked on them and people are still going in mass numbers.... cruising is one of the last places left that you can go and enjoy not hearing a phone ringing constantly and people gabbing away... but I guess eventually that will end... it's rather sad :(

cruising is one of the last places left that you can go and enjoy not hearing a phone ringing constantly and people gabbing away...

Carnival.....ARE YOU LISTENING??:mad:

However, my generally won't work... DH's is Canadian and changes systems rapidly, and works fine wherever (did quite nicely in the Bahamas). And, we carry the working phone with us. HOWEVER: 1) It is always on Vibrate, 2) Never will answer a call while at Dinner or a show, 3) We walk away from others before answering.

Why? Family emergencies primairly. I think in 3 cruises we've only gotten one call, and it was one we really needed. However, we're more relaxed knowing that if something happens in the outside world, we will know about it. There isn't the wondering sneaking in to disrupt being relaxed. But, that's just us.

Furry

It's not that I spend my time worrying about what others are doing but, it's ridiculous when I have to hear a woman discuss her frequent yeast infections over the phone at the table next to me while I'm dining. Now I'll have to put up with "private" conversations on my cruise? I hope that they charge a huge premium for this service if it happens.

It's not that I spend my time worrying about what others are doing but, it's ridiculous when I have to hear a woman discuss her frequent yeast infections over the phone at the table next to me while I'm dining. Now I'll have to put up with "private" conversations on my cruise? I hope that they charge a huge premium for this service if it happens.

That's just GROSS. I certainly hope that you said something? I think I would have considered taking the phone away from her, walked outside, thrown it overboard and then calmly returned to my seat.

You know, I did not say a word. DH and I just tried to tune her out and enjoy our meal. I don't think that the dining management could/would have done anything about it either. In retrospect, I should have spoken up as we were basically a captive audience to her disgusting phone call. Common courtesy doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Archived