Passport not needed per NCL ??????

littlerick

When we booked on NCL Dream 01/20/07 the NCL reservation agent said not to worry about a passport because the old rules had been been extended. Now I am, like most worry warts, :confused: :eek:starting to worry that this is incorrect information. I am also afraid it is too late to get passports. Anybody have some expert information for me?

When we booked on NCL Dream 01/20/07 the NCL reservation agent said not to worry about a passport because the old rules had been been extended. Now I am, like most worry warts, :confused: :eek:starting to worry that this is incorrect information. I am also afraid it is too late to get passports. Anybody have some expert information for me?

Stop worrying, you will not need a passport to sail on the Dream from Houston in 2007. Last year they set back airport entry rules a year till 2007, this year they set back seaport entry rules until 2008. Land border rules are still scheduled for 2008, (but if history proves true, they will be set back until 2009).

You still have time to get a passport if you choose to get one. I highly encourage it, in case you have to leave the ship and fly back home for any reason early, the ship departs a port without you because you were late getting back from a shore excursion, or you get seriously ill or injured.

But you will not need one at any of the ports you'll be visiting, nor in Houston upon your return with the ship.

Have a great cruise.

The NCL reservation agent was correct. You do NOT need passports. They're a good idea, but you do not need them. They are not required for cruise passengers until 2008. However, if you fly from the Caribbean to the U.S., you will need them starting January 23, 2007. That means that if you miss reboarding your ship during your cruise after that date and you don't have a passport, you will not be able to fly back to the U.S. until you go to a U.S. embassy/consulate and obtain a temporary passport. Not insurmountable but certainly a headache.

Here's the info that's posted on the U.S. State Dept.'s web site:

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

- Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

- As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

I didn't see the second post:mad:. I went to the U.S. State Department website and found that I can go to my courthouse and take care of it. I'm sure they are closed Monday, so will go in on Tuesday with my photos. I'll get them at my local WalMart Portriate Studio. Thanks again:cool:

Archived