How much to tip the butler?

LadyLeo84

We will be staying in a panorama suite on the Mediterranea on our cruise in January. What is the customary amount to tip the butler? What all does he/she do for you? This is our first time staying in this type of cabin, so we're not sure what to expect. Any help will be appreciated.:)

We will be staying in a panorama suite on the Mediterranea on our cruise in January. What is the customary amount to tip the butler? What all does he/she do for you? This is our first time staying in this type of cabin, so we're not sure what to expect. Any help will be appreciated.:)

Hi LadyLeo84...

I have linked a cruise tip calculator, below. Another cruise critic member built it. Check it out. It's rather cool.

Basically, a Butler is one more person to take care of you on your cruise. We have cruised with one...and without one. We miss the Butler's services, when we do not have one.

http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/

Thanks, Boo's Mom for the tip calculator! It's Great. Does the Butler replace the cabin steward/stewardess or are they in addition to? Not sure what to look forward to as far as their services go. Since you have had a butler before, would you say that their tip is included in the automatic tip that's charged to each guest, or do you tip them over and above that amount? We want to make sure that we do this correctly!! We have only 3 more weeks before sailing. . . can hardly wait.

Thanks so much for your help!!!:)

LadyLeo84

Thanks, Boo's Mom for the tip calculator! It's Great. Does the Butler replace the cabin steward/stewardess or are they in addition to? Not sure what to look forward to as far as their services go. Since you have had a butler before, would you say that their tip is included in the automatic tip that's charged to each guest, or do you tip them over and above that amount? We want to make sure that we do this correctly!! We have only 3 more weeks before sailing. . . can hardly wait.

Thanks so much for your help!!!:)

LadyLeo84

Hi LadyLeo...

What cruiseline?

We have had Butlers on Celebrity only.

On Celebrity, the Butler is in addition to the cabin attendant.

If we needed a reservation any place on the ship, the Butler would do it for us.

When we ordered a meal to eat in our cabin, the Butler would bring it....and set the table for us.

He would bring us DVDs when we needed them.

He was just a cell phone away....for whatever we needed.

sometimes...it is just to ask him a question.

He would bring us "afternoon tea"... in a cart at our door. Little sandwiches, shrimp, cakes, etc...

In Alaska, He would bring hot cocoa to us.

It's all fluff.

It's all nice.

• 1 month later...

Ok this is an off the wall question! I've been getting quite a few hits on my calculator site from this thread during the past day or so, but it hasn't been posted to since New Year's Eve! Did someone post a reference to this thread somewhere? I'm just curious... :D

Theron

There's a link to this thread on the home page of CruiseCritic today. On post number 3 of this thread, your Website is posted.

Thanks! That would do it! :D I knew there was a link in post 3, but didn't see the link to the thread!

Theron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Theron ... I was on the Halloween cruise with you and just posted a note there about your tip calculator. I was traveling back from northern Virginia yesterday and on a nationally syndicated radio travel show your tip calculator was suggested by a guest on the show - it was his top suggestion for web sites related to cruising! Way to go!

Hi, Theron ... I was on the Halloween cruise with you and just posted a note there about your tip calculator. I was traveling back from northern Virginia yesterday and on a nationally syndicated radio travel show your tip calculator was suggested by a guest on the show - it was his top suggestion for web sites related to cruising! Way to go!

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! If anyone who sees this can recall the details or especially a web site with a link, I will add it to the "press" section of my site where I list all the media coverage it has received.

Thanks!

Theron

I just posted on our Halloween cruise site but thought I'd write here too. The radio station was WSVA our of Harrisonburg, VA - 550 AM It was a two hour show and I was listening to the 2nd hour. The name of the show was: TRAVEL TODAY W/ PETER GREENBERG 2:00PM TO 4:00PM I think it might be one of those shows you can listen to if you download but I don't know for sure - seems they advertised that.

Archived