Would you cancel??

Hi,

We are booked for an October cruise and the mrs. will be 20 weeks pregnant.

I looked at our insurance policy (bought thru RC,before we were pregnant) and noticed that pregnancy is not covered.

What exactly does that mean?For example if she has an accident is she not covered or if we have to cancel before hand is she not covered?

I'm a little worried and not sure if I should just cancel before final payment.

Also are there any policies that cover pregnancy?

Thanks

I was just reading the fine print on an Access America policy to help out another poster.

This is their pregnancy exclusion:

"Normal Pregnancy, fertility treatments, Childbirth or elective abortion, other than unforeseen complications of pregnancy;"

which means that you can't cancel just because she's pregnant and having routine things that go along with that such as morning sickness and being exhausted. But unforseen complications are covered which is what I think you're concerned about.

Policies from other companies probably have similar wording.

I'd say take the cruise and buy good trip insurance. Otherwise it will probably be a long time before you have the opportunity to cruise again.

I would take the cruise! 20 weeks is a good time to travel. Usually the morning sickness is gone and you start feeling better. Like the other post said you will not be able to take another one too soon, well at least without the kids!

I say talk with obgyn and see what he/she says. As long as she is or won't be at a high risk there should be no problems.....

Thanks very much for your responses.

As I mentioned I purchased the RC cruise insurance and called the company.

The agent was less than helpful and kept repeating "pregnancy isn't covered in the policy", which didn't really help me much.

I didn't know if that meant we wern't covered in an accident because she was pregnant.

Anyways, I think it means if there are medical expenses incurred as a result of being pregnant ie) miscariage than we aren't covered.

Thanks again and I think we will still go as I have a feeling our lives are about to get hectic for the next 18 years.

I just read your original post again. When did you pay your cruise deposit? If it was more than 14-21 days ago, you'd be too late to buy another insurance policy that has a pre-existing exclusion waiver.

Did you buy the Royal Caribbean Vacation Protection Plan? It allows you to cancel for any reason and get 75% of the non-refundable charges towards a future RCCL cruise. That's better than nothing but there are restrictions such as black out dates apply, they have to be used within a year, and are not transferable.

I also forgot to say congratulations to you and your wife!

D4,

I'm not sure what you mean if you could please explain.I purchased the insurance at the time of booking (4 months ago) before we were prego.

I think the insurance is non-refundable even if I cancel the cruise outside the penalty period (ie now).

Thanks on the congratulations.

FYI...My son and daughter in law are expecting (yea!, I am a first time grandma to be!!!!) They were scheduled for a fall cruise, but decided to cancel. At the time, she thought should be very close to her third trimester. RC will not allow anyone in their 3rd trimester to cruise. Our TA said he knows of some women being denied boarding if they even "looked" that far along...with no refund. He said to be sure to have a letter from the doctor stating where she is at in her pregnancy and specifically that she is NOT in the last trimester. Check inot it for added security.....and congratulations!

Buying a different trip insurance policy now wouldn't help because her pregnancy would be a pre-existing condition (meaning it existed BEFORE you buy the trip insurance) and it wouldn't fall into the pre-existing condition waiver because you booked the trip 4 months ago.

Are you most concerned about trip cancellation coverage or something happening while you're on the cruise? I believe you're ok with the RCCL plan as long as you have your own health insurance that is good outside of the USA. (The RCCL plan's limits are $10,000 for accident medical expense and $10,000 for sickness medical expense which aren't much if that's all you're counting on.)

Looking at their plan on the web, on page 5 under "The Fine Print" it lists NORMAL PREGNANCY under the exclusions. To me, you'd be covered because she wouldn't be going to the ship doctor for a routine prenatal exam (which is part of a normal pregnancy), but she should be covered if she were having some complications during the cruise which were not normal. Also, you wouldn't be covered for cancelling just because she's pregnant and doesn't feel well, but you should be if she starts having complications and her doctor says she shouldn't travel because of them.

Their website says: If you have any questions concerning coverage, just call Royal Caribbean's CruiseCare Help Line at (800) 453-4022. If that's the number you called, I'd call again to get a different person and see what they say. Maybe you could reference the wording on page 5 I mentioned above.

I applaud you for finding out about this now. I hope what I wrote is clear and makes sense to you.

Called the insurance company and got a much better agent.D4 you were correct in that we are covered if anything does happen even if she is pregnant.

If for some reason we have to cancel a week before due to a complication with the pregnancy, we will be covered for a refund with a dr. note.

If there is a complication on the ship we will also be covered up to a certain amount.

Anyways, thought I'd share the info. with others in a simular situation.

We will also be 24 weeks during the cruise and the cut-off is 27 weeks, so looks like we are a go.

Could be our last relaxing trip for awhile.

Thanks to everyone for your responses and good information.

Cheers.

I'm glad you got the information you needed.

How refreshing to see someone being proactive and wanting to know their coverages before something happens. Most of the posts on this subject are from someone that didn't buy travel insurance and now they've got to cancel because of a big medical problem and they're mad that RCCL won't give them their money back.

I wish you and your family the best. I hope to see a review after your cruise.

The main reason I buy insurance is to cover an evacuation from the ship if one were required. I've heard that can cost alot -- like $20,000. You should make sure your insurance would cover a pregnancy emergency -- e.g., premature birth, etc., especially if a medical evacuation were required. If not, I would cancel the cruise and reschedule after the baby arrives.

It sounds like your cruise is more than 70 days out (or close to it). Technically you could cancel without penalty then. No need to worry about travel insurance, other than you'd be out that money.

But I'm not sure why you would cancel unless there are complications. At 20 weeks she should be able to do about anything except drink and hot tub. Is this your first? Then by golly get the vacation out of the way pre-baby.

I work with a guy who traveled to Europe annually. It is just now sinking in with his 14 months old daughter and a son on the way that it might be awhile before he can go again without leaving babies at home with parents or traveling with babies. Either option doesn't sound feasible to him for at least awhile.

The main reason I buy insurance is to cover an evacuation from the ship if one were required. I've heard that can cost alot -- like $20,000.

yes - but what are the chances that an evacuation happens? sort of like buying airline flight insurance for the possibility that the plane crashes.

I think the importance of travel insurance is:

1. cover medical expenses if your own insurance won't cover you, you have none, or don't want to have to deal with it if in a foreign country. and that if a medical emergency happens, you will get reimbursement for travel back to your home if getting back on board to complete the cruise is not an option.

2. the possibility that you might need to cancel the trip for an unforeseen reason - like a death in the family or sickness of anyone in your travelling party. we had a death in our family last year the day before we were to drive down to FL to catch our cruise. we ended out making last minute flight reservations, and did go on the cruise, but if we had the insurance, we would have atleast had the choice of whether to go. you don't know when these things might happen, but, if you have to cancel at the last moment, you could be out thousands of dollars.

Archived