Excursion Decision?

showe0208

Greetings From Mass

We are booked on the Legend in March. In Costa Rica I would like to do an excursion outide of the cruise line. I have attached the link. The cost is sooo much less and the tour is more appealing to me than the cruise lines. My husband is not realy excited about booking outside the lines. Any suggestion?

http://www.costa-rica-limon.com/aboutus.php

:o

When we went to Costa Rica we booked an independent excursion (zip lining). It was THE highlight of our cruise. Our ship didn't offer it at all.

As long as the times are not tight and you're not going huge distances away, and your tour operator has back up plans in case of car breakdown, etc. you should be alright.

In fact, on the cruise that took us to CR, it was our very first cruise. We were SO naive! We just booked with someone right at the pier and never gave a thought to anything. Yikes..... But we were lucky and nothing went wrong at all and we had a fantastic day.

Now I'm booked on two cruises for this year. The cruise in March we have three independent excursions booked and for our cruise in July, we have one booked so far. I don't intend to book anything through the cruise lines unless there's nothing available independently. I think you get a better experience (less people, more attention, less $$) when you do it that way. JMHO of course...

Kim

Looks great!!! But before you make a decision, you may also want to consider Oscar Brown. After reading posts on the port of call boards, dh arranged for a tour when we were there in Dec. 2004. Oscar was terrific and arranged a tour to suit our interests. We had a fabulous time while learning about the nature and culture of Costa Rica.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=264582

http://www.oscarbrowntours.com/

We booked with Oscar 2 years ago so I don't know if anything has changed, but we didn't pay anything up front. No cc#, no deposit. We'd just exchanged emails. I don't think there'd be any problem with cancelling if it was necessary. (Of course, I sure would hate to see anyone not show up just because they changed their minds.) Anyway, he's a very personable fellow who give a really nice personalized tour. And, as you can see from the ports of call boards, he comes highly recommended.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Costa Rica. It's a beautiful country. But, ...... whether or not you use Oscar Brown, I recommend that you go through a reputable tour operator. I'm not sure Puerto Limon is a place where I'd venture out on my own.

Barb

We NEVER book any excursions through the cruise ship.....NEVER EVER. In the past we just got off the ship an decided what to do based on what was available right thereat the port.

But, my last cruise I spent "time" (dh says "too much time" - whatever....) on the CC Ports of Call boards and got all my referals and references for all my shore excursions all right there.

We had a great trip with marvelous shore excursions.

I am already plannig my next cruise and checking the Ports of Call Boards for this upcoming trip...I can't wait!

Jan

Archived