Quad Balcony Cabin on Noordam

2boyzmom

2boyzmom -

There was another thread about this - I looked for it, I posted about the quads on the different classes of ships we've been on - however, on that thread, there are also other posted opinions about parenting that really aren't pertinent to cruising; so I decided not to bump the thread to page 1 ... instead I'll try and answer your question.

We stayed in 5003 this summer on Noordam, I think it was a VC category - the room is small - smaller than some of the outside quads we've been in on S-class (Statendam, Maasdam) ships. One of the berths is located over the queen size bed; positioned horizontally across the head of the bed. I'm not sure how one would go about accessing it. The other berth would the the sofa (more like a love seat) sleeper. I'm not sure the ages of your children, but for my husband and & I, putting our two teens in that room with us would not have been fun.

I'll try and answer any other questions you have - I also have a few pictures of the cabin I can try and post.

I hope this helps.

It looks like all the quad balcony cabins are not mid ship, so I was thinking of booking a VF category on the veranda deck. Has anyone stayed in this category?

I noticed the same thing. I have never been on the Noordam, but when I booked the Westerdam for next year President's week ( about the same layout), I booked a VD, because I didn't want to be in the very front ( VC - quad)( and VF have steel wall not plex-glass), and someone said that the VF's are smaller balconies on the higher levels. I hope that helps.

I did not realize that the VF verandas were smaller with iron/metal walls. So - I'll probably spring for the higher level VC if the veranda size is larger. Does anyone know?

The deluxe veranda suite prices are $3000.00 more for a family of four so that is out...

I did not realize that the VF verandas were smaller with iron/metal walls. So - I'll probably spring for the higher level VC if the veranda size is larger. Does anyone know?

The deluxe veranda suite prices are $3000.00 more for a family of four so that is out...

What I was told on a different thread was that the VF on the lowest levels have steel walls ( look at the note in brochure) and the VF on the level higher the balconies are a bit smaller. I prefer to be midship, but since there are none, I would rather book a VD in the back then a VC in the front. The difference between a balcony and deluxe veranda price is significant.

The difference between a balcony and deluxe veranda price is significant.

They are - we got an upgrade to one (several years ago - and a long story...) but since then it's really been hard to go back.

I almost wish I still lived in blissful ignorance of the Deluxe Verandah Suite - lol! :)

When out kids were younger, four in a cabin wans't as big of a deal (it still isn't a big enough deal to us to always justify the additional cost of the DVS) but we try to look for deals on the Suites and jump on them when we come across them... they are out there - not as often as they used to be, but every now and again, I've come across an amazing deal.

The VC was a nice cabin - it was far forward, but we didn't notice the motion much at all (though we were in the Med and have yet to encounter rough seas there) our other family were in the adjoining balcony cabins. One of the things we liked best was having the steward open all the doors to the balconies. :) The balcony is very decent sized, imo.

What I was told on a different thread was that the VF on the lowest levels have steel walls ( look at the note in brochure) and the VF on the level higher the balconies are a bit smaller. I prefer to be midship, but since there are none, I would rather book a VD in the back then a VC in the front. The difference between a balcony and deluxe veranda price is significant.

Is there less motion in the back than the front? We will be booking an 11day out of NY Feb'08 and I've read that the seas can be rough...

They are - we got an upgrade to one (several years ago - and a long story...) but since then it's really been hard to go back.

I almost wish I still lived in blissful ignorance of the Deluxe Verandah Suite - lol! :)

When out kids were younger, four in a cabin wans't as big of a deal (it still isn't a big enough deal to us to always justify the additional cost of the DVS) but we try to look for deals on the Suites and jump on them when we come across them... they are out there - not as often as they used to be, but every now and again, I've come across an amazing deal.

The VC was a nice cabin - it was far forward, but we didn't notice the motion much at all (though we were in the Med and have yet to encounter rough seas there) our other family were in the adjoining balcony cabins. One of the things we liked best was having the steward open all the doors to the balconies. :) The balcony is very decent sized, imo.

The DVS sounds heavenly but I highly doubt I'll see an upgrade or any deals for the week I want ( President's week '08). Top dollar! The kids are young (5 and 7) so we don't need tons of space just yet. When they get older we'll probably book them an inside cabin across from us :)

Is there less motion in the back than the front? We will be booking an 11day out of NY Feb'08 and I've read that the seas can be rough...

Do you mind if I ask, what kind of deal did you get? I was debating the Noordam 11 days over the 7 but I got a great price on the Westerdam. I have sailed out of NY a few times and loved it, but never in Feb. I realized I would lose 2 days to the weather( which is not bad considering it is an 11 day), and airfare is torture to get for that week. I've sailed on the NCL Dawn out of NY for 10 days in April and it was great ( I am waiting for HAL to come out with pricing for april 2008 to see if the Noordam is good for me.) With my experience, I think the back is better then the front - for motion.

Do you mind if I ask, what kind of deal did you get? I was debating the Noordam 11 days over the 7 but I got a great price on the Westerdam. I have sailed out of NY a few times and loved it, but never in Feb. I realized I would lose 2 days to the weather( which is not bad considering it is an 11 day), and airfare is torture to get for that week. I've sailed on the NCL Dawn out of NY for 10 days in April and it was great ( I am waiting for HAL to come out with pricing for april 2008 to see if the Noordam is good for me.) With my experience, I think the back is better then the front - for motion.

The only pricing for this week so far is from the HAL website. No other TA's even have prices yet for 2008. I don't know exactly how much yet- but since we have no airfare for four, it's cheaper than our San Juan Princess cruise this President's week!

The only pricing for this week so far is from the HAL website. No other TA's even have prices yet for 2008. I don't know exactly how much yet- but since we have no airfare for four, it's cheaper than our San Juan Princess cruise this President's week!

My TA gave me a price for the Westerdam and the Noordam. No online TA have it yet except Travelocity, but all regular TA can give you pricing. This President's week I got a great price on the NCL Pearl 9 night and got my airfare early enough- but still expense. I didn't go on the Crown because of the 4 airfares for Puerto Rico.

My TA gave me a price for the Westerdam and the Noordam. No online TA have it yet except Travelocity, but all regular TA can give you pricing. This President's week I got a great price on the NCL Pearl 9 night and got my airfare early enough- but still expense. I didn't go on the Crown because of the 4 airfares for Puerto Rico.

Thanks for the info. I tried travelocity and it says to call for pricing. I'm going to try and be patient ( not my best virtue) and wait for cruise compete to have the dates available. We were lucky to get $99.00 airfare to SanJuan from Newark but we booked 364 days in advance....

Thanks for the info. I tried travelocity and it says to call for pricing. I'm going to try and be patient ( not my best virtue) and wait for cruise compete to have the dates available. We were lucky to get $99.00 airfare to SanJuan from Newark but we booked 364 days in advance....

Archived