transportation from Houston to Galveston

First of all, my thanks to each and everyone that posts questions and answers, you are all a big help with current and future cruise plans. Question.....flying from Philadelphia to Houston for cruise on Rhapsody in August. What is the best way to get from Houston to Galveston? Royal's transport or private transportation and if Royal's, how does the timing work for a 1:10 pm flight out of Bush International? My thanks to all that take the time to respond.:)

Your best option is renting a car to and from Galveston. That's what we will be doing in a few weeks. You can pick your car up at Hobby Airport. Enterprise rent a car usually waves the $40 one way drop off fee from what we understand. Also Hertz has an office both at the airport and at the pier.

Another option is http://galvestonlimousineservice.com/index.html

You can rent the car for the day. That's what we are doing. Enterprise charges $72.00 but if the drop off fee is waved as I was told it would be then it would be $32.00. We are using Hertz to get back to IAH for $61.00. We like the idea that Hertz has a booth right inside the pier in Galveston. I'm guessing you'll be flying in on Southwest since you're arriving at Hobby. :)

The OP said they were flying into IAH not Hobby, so they aren't flying Southwest.

Your best options are not to use the cruiseline shuttles. You can usually do a one-way rental to and from IAH to the port, but you have to be aware of the one-way drop off fees.

Another option is a shuttle service like www.galvestonlimo.com

I used a private car service that I found through these boards that was great but it was more expensive than a rental car.

Good advice from other posters. We are on ROS in April, rented car 1w , then 1w back from Hertz. Like convenience. Got AAA discount. Cheaper than shuttle. I read that coachusa is also available.(?)

Make sure to allow time both directions. We will arrive on sat. for a sunday cruise. flight back is 1215pm.

Good advice from other posters. We are on ROS in April, rented car 1w , then 1w back from Hertz. Like convenience. Got AAA discount. Cheaper than shuttle. I read that coachusa is also available.(?)

Make sure to allow time both directions. We will arrive on sat. for a sunday cruise. flight back is 1215pm.

Using CoachAmerica - it says $59 each round trip but if you put in "save40" you can get two people roundtrip for $78! They do advise no flights back before 2pm.

The OP said they were flying into IAH not Hobby, so they aren't flying Southwest.

Your best options are not to use the cruiseline shuttles. You can usually do a one-way rental to and from IAH to the port, but you have to be aware of the one-way drop off fees.

Another option is a shuttle service like www.galvestonlimo.com

I used a private car service that I found through these boards that was great but it was more expensive than a rental car.

Yes, I stand corrected. I misread the OP's post. My eyes are obviously going due to old age setting in. :(

Archived