Alligator Airboat in Port Canaveral-worthwhile?

We are on the Grandeur on Aug.1 and trying to decide about excursions in Port Canaveral. I think I would be ahead to stay on the ship, but DH thinks this airboat would be fun. It starts at 8:30 (crack of dawn) and I would think it would be buggy with lots of humidity. Any thoughts? Any feedback from former cruisers?

Thanks!

J in WV (so glad I don't have to fly to terminal)

I did this last Aug on NCl and it was a blast. My father wanted to do it and no one in out group (30 people) would go with him, so my husband and I gave in at the last minute and went. We were so happy we did. The airboat driver was so funny he was telling us stories the whole time. There was a pretty strong breaze that day so we really didn't have a bug problem but you will need sunscreen. My husband didn't wear it and got burnt to a crisp.

Heck,, we LIVE here, and we do the airboat rides from time to time... especially when we have out of town company.

There's also a nice little inland waterway tour that takes off from a restaurant on Merritt Island. Not a ship sponsired tour, but it's nice and you get a free drink coupon to use at the rest afterwards. I think they have 10 am and 1 pm tours. If you are interested, I'll be glad to find the details and post them here.

Flamingosun-

Yes, yes-would love to have the info. That way, if it turns out to be a nice day, we can do your suggestion. If the weather is poor, we won't be locked into RCCL-AND, I bet it will be less expensive.

Thanks!

J in WV

You won't go wrong with the air-boat alligator tour (you'll see tons of them), but here's the info about the other boat tour I mentioned, plus another suggestion:

Island Boat Lines does the "Cocoa Beach Thousand Island Tour" three times daily(2 hrs each), departing from the Banana Breeze restaurant at 60 South Banana River Drive on Merritt Island. Tours are at 10am, 1pm and Sunset. If you are worried about weather, be advised if there is going to be a thunderstorm, it is more likely to hit in the afternoon, so might want to do the 10 am tour. The cost is $20.00 pp, with a 10% discount for military, seniors, and children. (So, you may be right... even WITH the suggested 15% tip, it's probably cheaper than the ship tour)

You'll see Mangroves (two kinds), Various species of waterbirds, (the so-called 'thousand islands' are favorite roosting places for Pelicans), and MAYBE Manatees, Sea Turtles, and Dolphins. (Last time we went, a dolphin led the boat for about 3/4 of the way!) The guides are quite informative.

You'll need to take a Taxi, but it's not far... maybe 15 min.

If you want to make reservations, their email is tours@islandboatlines.com and their phone is (321) 302-0544.

Second suggestion: Hop a taxi to the Cocoa Beach Pier. There, you can swim, sunbathe, or walk on the beach. The pier has touristy souveniers, and three restaurants. Atlantic Ocean Grill (tablecloths) and Marlin's (informal, more of a pier atmosphere) are right on the pier. Shuck's is right on the beach and can sometimes be a bit of a 'hard-body' hand-out. Request a window seat at Marlins, and watch the surfers beneath you as you enjoy a piece of Chocolate Kaluha cake. About 10 min by taxi.

Yes, it's sometimes a bit humid here. But it's not fatal. ;) Now, Honduras - there's some humidity for you! We were there on the Radiance, and coastal Florida is dry by comparison!

If you need more ideas, just let me know!

Flamingosun-

Thanks ever so much for your ideas. Would it be feasible to take a cab to Merritt Island, do the 10:00 tour, then hop a cab to Cocoa Beach? Do I understand that Merritt Island is just 15 minutes away? I really appreciate your suggestions and will print out the info. By the way, the price for the trip from RCCL is $49.

J in WV

Yes, Merritt Island is only minutes away. You can see it from your ship... look west.

And yes, you could do the river ride and the Cocoa Beach Pier in one day. (The restaurant the boat leaves from and the Cocoa Beach Pier are maybe 3 miles apart) Have no earthly idea what the cab fares would run- never used one around here.

Alligators- you may or may not not see those on the river cruise. It stays in the more 'civilized' waterways...

The OTHER one (the airboat ride the ship sells) goes through gator-infested marshy areas. It always amazes us how fascinated visitors are with those things...

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, let me know how it worked out for you, and if you liked it.

Flamingo Sun-Thanks for all your info. I think we may end up with the alligator tour (husband wants to see those 'gators) and then do your suggestion for Cocoa Beach. I think the inland boat ride sounds better, but we can do that another cruise!

J in WV :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Flamingo Sun-

Got back from the Grandeur this past Sunday. We didn't do any tours in Port Canaveral, as the airboat was only available at 8:30 , and we just felt like making it a beach day. We grabbed a cab to Pier 1 at Cocoa Beach ($12 over and $17 back) :) Boy, was it hot! It was about 94, and I was fine as long as I had my feet in the water, but otherwise, I was roasting. We had lunch at Marlins. The fish sandwich was good, and the chocolate cake was good, but the mixed drinks were very weak. Next time we will get more organized, but I was wearing out by the end of the week. We had great overall weather-sun every day-and are booked on that ship for Bermuda next August. Thanks for all your info and help.

JLarew in WV

Archived