Dawn Penthouse - Boundaries of Appropriate?

Jessinak

I just booked an AB suite on the Dawn (sailing March 22) and will be traveling with two small daughters (ages 3, 4) and my mom. I have searched this forum a couple of different times and have a basic sense of what perks are available for this level of cabin, but I have a few unique questions:

1) Is it appropriate (or feasible) to ask the butler to replace two of the dining chairs in the cabin with high chairs for the kids so they aren't sitting on their knees the whole time?

2) I've read a lot about hot room service breakfasts and the availability of room service from any restaurant, but is it possible to get an espresso type coffee drink? Or is that too obnoxious?

3) What kind of movies run in the movie theatre? Does the theatre run all day, or just at specific times? Are any of the films kid friendly?

4) Is there any type of electronic equipment available in the cabin that allows for an MP3 player (i.e., ipod) to be plugged in?

5) Is it true that the laundry rooms on the Dawn are free? Does that mean you have to do your laundry at 2am to get access to a machine?

6) Does anyone else who has traveled with small kids have ideas or recommendations on other non-Kid Club activities on the ship during the day? I'm sure my kids will enjoy the club, but I'm curious if there are other kid friendly activities that we could do together.

Thanks. My apologies in advance if I didn't search well enough before posting and these questions are answered somewhere else.

I don't think most of your queries are unreasonable. You can only ask , and if they can't do some of the things don't sweat it.

I do think a 4 yr old can sit in a booster seat rather then a high chair, high chairs are for babies, and I am sorry , but a four yr old is just too old for that( unless perhaps your child was premature or physically disabled in some way and very tiny) .

Do ask for what you want and need, if they can't fulfill you request, oh well....

if they can, yippee....

I'm sailing on the Dawn for the first time 4/1 so I can't answer all of you questions, but the laundry is free, you do have to purchase soap - toward the beginning of the cruise you shouldn't have too much trouble getting to a washer but nearer the end you may be in the laundry room at 2am!!!!

The Dawn has a great kids pool area that looks fun for the parents bringing the young ones too. When my daughter was younger though she loved the kids clubs and resented being pulled out!!! Many of the kids club activities include the parents too. I'd like to know about the movie theatre as well.

I just booked an AB suite on the Dawn (sailing March 22) and will be traveling with two small daughters (ages 3, 4) and my mom. I have searched this forum a couple of different times and have a basic sense of what perks are available for this level of cabin, but I have a few unique questions:

1) Is it appropriate (or feasible) to ask the butler to replace two of the dining chairs in the cabin with high chairs for the kids so they aren't sitting on their knees the whole time?

2) I've read a lot about hot room service breakfasts and the availability of room service from any restaurant, but is it possible to get an espresso type coffee drink? Or is that too obnoxious?

3) What kind of movies run in the movie theatre? Does the theatre run all day, or just at specific times? Are any of the films kid friendly?

4) Is there any type of electronic equipment available in the cabin that allows for an MP3 player (i.e., ipod) to be plugged in?

5) Is it true that the laundry rooms on the Dawn are free? Does that mean you have to do your laundry at 2am to get access to a machine?

6) Does anyone else who has traveled with small kids have ideas or recommendations on other non-Kid Club activities on the ship during the day? I'm sure my kids will enjoy the club, but I'm curious if there are other kid friendly activities that we could do together.

Thanks. My apologies in advance if I didn't search well enough before posting and these questions are answered somewhere else.

Yes you can order Espresso in your suite and it was always hot.

You can ask the butler for DVD`s to be shown in your suite.......they have a list (bring the kid`s favorites).

Yes you can plug in your equipment. (always bring the appropriate cords)

You can bring laundry soap in the pellet form so you don`t have to purchase it.......bring dryer sheets also.

I would ask for booster seats for your suite also, if not,use pillows.

Guest THE EDS

I didn't know there are self service laundries aboard the Dawn, thats great to know. Can anyone tell me where they are, it would be great not to have to pack so much.

Thank You

THE EDS

Although there are laundries available, there are not many machines (like 4 washers/dryers in each). I'm only aware of 2 (correct me if I'm wrong folks; across from cabin 9210 and 10210). The part I find frustrating, is to carry a load down to the laundry, only to find out no machines are available. You could always ask the Butler to have your laundry done, but that's at additional cost of course. Personally, I don't go on a cruise to do laundry, so I pack appropriately for the entire cruise. I know with kids it's a different story. Our teenager constantly had wet clothes from constantly being in the hot tub! :D

For recharging an iPod, unless you have an AC/DC adapter for it, you'll need to go to the Internet Cafe and get permission to charge via a PC USB port.

The movies are posted outside the theatre and are not 1st run movies. More like recently released to video movies. If I recall correctly, there's a flyer with your Freestyle Daily on Day 1 too.

Enjoy the penthouse! They are awesome!

Sorry this is in wrong thread, but I can't figure out how to post new one.

Can someone recommend an appropriate tip amount for good service

to the butlers/concierge/sr. stateroom attendant for a one-week cruise.

We will be in one of the owner's suites in a few weeks. Thanks.

Sorry this is in wrong thread, but I can't figure out how to post new one.

Can someone recommend an appropriate tip amount for good service

to the butlers/concierge/sr. stateroom attendant for a one-week cruise.

We will be in one of the owner's suites in a few weeks. Thanks.

This should help

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=301933&highlight=butler

To start a new thread - there is a "NEW THREAD" button near the top of the page.

We were just in an AB on the DAwn in December. We only used the butler for breakfast but he was very friendly and I wouldn';t hestiate to ask for anything that will make your cruise easier. Like someone else said, if they can-great.

The movie theater had odd hours IMO. On sea days it frequently didn't show anything until evening. I noted on my comment card it would be nice to watch a movie on a sea day afternoon if you had enough sun and just wanted to chill. On port days we were usually busy. I did get to see DaVinci code one evening late and the theater had quite a few patrons.

You will absolutely love the AB. It was our first time (only 2 of us) and we didn't need all the space but we got an upsell and I couldn't resist. Have a great time. If Lucky is your butler tell him 11020 from 12/7 said hi. Thanks.:)

If Lucky is your butler tell him 11020 from 12/7 said hi. Thanks.:)

Isn't an "AB" just WONDERFULL.....???!!!:D

We will be going to be in "OUR" cabin, 11020, for the third time in April.:D

In 2005, we got an "upgrade" from an "AF" to 11020. We fell in love with THAT cabin. It was PERFECT...!!! GREAT location, it's name, "Jade", my FAVORITE gemstone, and the artwork was kind of funky..... I called the pictures the "Rat Pack".....:D

We like 11020 SO MUCH that I booked it for February 2006 and again this April....

WE LOVE THE DAWN....!!!icon14.gif

Hi, we will also be on the ship April 1st, and in an AB suite. We had 11020 last July but not this time as some mean lady took it..LOL LOL ;) Now we have 11060. There are 7 of us going. My mom, aunt, niece and brother in law will be across the hall from us.

I can't wait!!!

I am just off the Dawn. Friends had a penthouse. :) We did not. :o But we got to visit. :D

I don't know how many high chairs are on board. I'd try to make that request to somebody before you board.

The movies were mostly in the afternoon & evening. I would have liked to have seen some during the day, espeically in sea days in the "colder" weather. There are two movie channels which broadcast in your stateroom. There was at least 1 G rated movie, but it wasn't shown very often.

The T-Rex (kids') pool was adorable. I almost wanted to use one of the slides myself. :p

There are laundry facilities but they were kind of busy most of the time. I had to wait about 20 minutes just to iron a shirt. Everyone was very chatty & friendly so the time passed quickly. Sometimes you'll get a laundry bag & a note that says the cabin steward will wash the contents of the bag -- as much as you can stuff in -- for $10.

There's a game room / card room on deck 12 near the theater / library where you coudl play games with them. If you are in a penthouse, they might be more comfortable, & able to be more rambunctious, in your cabin.

There is a wonderful kids' section with kid sized chairs & their own buffet in the garden cafe. You can bring a grown up chair in their for yourself. All of the kids I saw there were thrilled with this section just for them.

Enjoy.

Archived