DAWN 12/17 Sailing Quick Review

Xelcaz

:) :) :)

Hey all...

Aside from posting my ranting about CEI on the ship... the NCL Dawn was my first cruise...

WE LOVED IT... Kids 13/10/6

Let be begin by saying.. the ship was IMMACULATE!

The ship is being cleaned day and night, top to bottom..

The purelle stations are EVERYWHERE - which was nice to not have to carry bottles with me everywhere..

I had 2 connecting BA Balcony rooms.. 10th floor... Mid ship

Our rooms were a nice size.. Next trip Im going to try and grab one

of the family AC/AF suites.. Our cabin guys were GREAT! Turn down service is nice... only thing thats a bit of a pain is if someone messes with your little thingy on the outside of the cabin and puts make up cabin in the early hours when you prefer do not disturb - I was fortunate not to have this happen but my friends had someone turn the dial from make up cabin to do not disturb hehe other then that rooms were nice.. Rooms had liquid soap and shampoo, I preferred to bring my own but if you run out or are not picky, its there for you. Always plenty of towels! and if you need more, they will give you more, they give 3 so if you have 3 in a room ask for more in advance so the guys know to give you more.

Food:

Salsa - was ok..

Aqua - always had a wait

Sushi - Gross not worth the $12.50

Chinese - Not worth the $12.50 upcharge, its not high end at all very bland on a good note, it was always empty since the food wasnt anything to brag about.

Cagneys - Was YUMMY!!! Had Surf and Turf (FYI the cover charges START at $20 pp and they do not give you a break on the kids) -- I thought it was good.. food was great, atmosphere was nice..

Teppanyaki - also $20 pp no discount for kids.. - we cancelled reservations as the sushi place was not good, and for 20pp I can go to Bennihanna here in NY anytime..

Blue Lagoon - dindt eat here but its a GREAT place for the teens - open 24 hrs for burgers and nuggets - 13 y/o lived here nad loved it!

garden Cafe - If you like to Graze.. and not wait.. and are not a picky eater THIS is the place for you... I personally think its great to graze the kids then toss them into the kids club and had a nice dinner with hubs and friends...I did not eat here unless I missed breakfast/lunch.. was ok to pick at but - the food wasnt all that..people are also GROSS they touch with their hands.. so that always skeeves me out..

Le Bistro - I did not think the menu was all that and worth the upcharge - also again NYer and would rather save it for here..

La tratt - dont like italian so I never went here

My ALL TIME favorite -

THE VENETIAN!!! Demitri (matri'd) is AMAZING (he will get you anything you want/need)

We had found Asmui - waitor..HE WAS THE BEST!!!!! He was ON it.. got us drinks, anything we wanted was there before we even asked.. he was THE BEST!!!!! So if you go to The Venetian and you see Asmui Tell him MrPaul and Mrs Melanie said hi!!!

Tell him we sent you to him!! He is the BEST!!!!

All in all I say stick to the main dining rooms, you get so much and the food blows the other places away... Only thing I was upset about is breakfast hrs at the Venitian - Im a late riser on vacation and always got stuck with room svc or garden cafe (yuk)..

Room Svc - was good for coffee in am - to wake u up if you had an excusrion booked and needed to grab abite and run - so fill out those little card thingys the night before, snacks for kids late night.. thats about it, dont expect a full menu.. its more like sammiches, salad, coffee, danishes cold things liek that...

Activitys - Well we didnt particpate much.. we had more fun relaxing...

Pool - is salt water - so if you shave - be ready for the burn LOL

Trex pool also has a height limit... Id say for kids 10 and under..

Shore Excursions --

If you have kids under 16 DO NOT DO the Mayan Ruins... Long hours, BOARING I was loosing my mind and Im 33!!!!! and they give you a pepper/veggy and a warm nasty tuna sandwich (yuk) kids wont eat that stuff and they dont stop for lunch anywhere... so bring FOOD if you get bold enuf to try it and if you really wana go LEAVe the poor kids on the ship in the kids club!

Ochos Rios - the Duns River falls is AMAZING and a Must do!

Belize the - cave tubing is a Riot - Book through Regtours HES amazing and you are not lumped in a 50 person crowd!! (book with Reggie prior to your trip, so he has you on the list.. dont book from the ship and def dont book from people when you get off the ship..)

Honduras - Def do the Tulum beach party -- rent a Kyack ITS FUN!!!!

Cayman - Well Hell is nothing really to write home about... kids loved the turtle farm, all in all.. I think I would have rathered explore the island abit more, Cayman is NICE.. but the $30+ pp to see some burned rocks and spend more money to say you went to hell is just not worth it...

I have to say I LOVED freestyle cruising!!! I love NCL and I will be on a ship again!!!!

Any suggestions??? where should we go next...

Any questions re the dawn - feel free to email me.. I dont check the boards that often!!

You will hardy know your teens.. - dont count on dinner with them, they feed themselves and do everything with eachother!! They meet up with other cruisers at the teen club.. be prepared for LATE nights - My 13 y/o was out to 2-3am nightly... They love the teen disco and find other kids and have a lot of fun.. Are you doing western Carib cruise? Dont even bother to get off the boat in Cozumel - What a dump Mexico is...

:)

You will hardy know your teens.. - dont count on dinner with them, they feed themselves and do everything with eachother!! They meet up with other cruisers at the teen club.. be prepared for LATE nights - My 13 y/o was out to 2-3am nightly... They love the teen disco and find other kids and have a lot of fun.. Are you doing western Carib cruise? Dont even bother to get off the boat in Cozumel - What a dump Mexico is...

:)

We did the eastern caribbean last year on the Dawn and I know what you mean about not seeing the teens. It does work out great, if they want to eat dinner with us they could but most often didnt. You really didn't like Cozumel?? I'm really looking forward to going to Paradise Beach (I think) I've always wanted to do a western itinerary so I can't wait to compare eastern vs. western

Ohh Just stay away from the Mayan temples unless you like boaring things, the kids will hate it! hehehe I didnt have time to do anything else...

How was the eastern route? I wana do a NY - eastern on the New GEM in 08

Ohh Just stay away from the Mayan temples unless you like boaring things, the kids will hate it! hehehe I didnt have time to do anything else...

How was the eastern route? I wana do a NY - eastern on the New GEM in 08

disagree on cozumel -- we had a taxi take us to Palancar beach, beyond the tour bus Paradise/San francisco beach madhouse.

It was clean, gorgeous, great people and service, good food, lots of tables umbrellas and lounges-- but no one knew about it so it was empty for most of the time we were there.

Can't remember cruise directors name...Richard something. new at the job. He should go back to his old job. worst job of scheduling activities I've ever seen: EVERYTHING was between 1 and 2 pm, NOTHING between 2;30 and 4 pm, Little at 4 pm, dance classes were PACKED -- does he add more? no, just leaves huge amounts of empty space on the freestyle daily. And his jokes were awful.

Loved the cruise, don't misunderstand me, but we've had better than this guy.

I have copies of the freestyle daily from the 12/17 on the dawn.

Im sure there are nice places in Cozumel.. Just the Mayan ruins was a Dump, boaring and gross..Ive heard from other people - stay on the ship in mexico hehe and I agree!!

The Director was Darrin and his assistant was Ingrid...

I did not participate in the activitys...Nothing interested me and if there was something, it was always at the wrong time so I agree with the prev poster...

Here is an at Sea example of the Freestyle daily:

12/27/06

Games and Activitys

7:30am Fun walk

9am Urban Legends

9am yoga

10:15 &2pm Bridge play

10:45 & 3:45 Bingo (look to spend at least $45 to play!)

2pm Ryders Cup

2:30 BAsketball

3pm Wheres picasso

3pm Spinning

4pm Human chess torn

4pm Pilates

5pm Stretch and relax

5:15 Progressive trivia

Expand your horizons

9:30am Bridge Lecture

9:30 arts and crafts

10:15 Fun crafts

11am detox for weight loss

1:30 language class - german

1:30 Second City

5pm Friends of Bill

5:30 Learn Salsa

7:15 friends of dorothy

Cruise news

Brainteasers 24 hrs

9am morning sermon wiht pastor

9am-5pm nuder 2 zoo

12:30 Towel animals

2:30 Gleason magic

2:30 Final art auction

9pm-11pm Liq collection

Music and shows

randy Doherty 5:15-8:15

Stacy ward 5pm-6pm, 7pm-8pm & 9:30-close

Quarter notes 6pm-10pm

Dan Hodge 8:30-close

Harmony & rythm 8:30-9:15, 9:30-10:15, 10:30-close

Star Seeker -- 1 show @ 7:30

Farewell Vareity show 9:30pm

Request night with Dan Hodge @ 10:30pm

Name that tune @ 10:30pm

80s with Harmony @ 10:30

farewell party w/ DJ 11pm-close

There is a lot to do.. I am not a do-er on vacation Im there to relax - I spend my at home days DOING... so its nice to unwind.. if you are one who LOVES a constant DO day... you may find less to do.. there was this one guy on the ship who every time i saw him he looked miserable.. he said he loved carnival and he was boared outa his mind.. ya know what if your going to go for ship activitys NCL may not be a 1st choice... the stuff they have is cool but not a constant go go go.. BUt THEY ARE CLEAN.. and I loved it...

I hear carnival is DIRTY!! and this guy even said, he can handle the less perfect appearance and wanted more to do.. ya know what then go stay on carnival!! Id rather have the down time to RELAX.. spend time with my kids and enjoy my trip.. Unwind, take a nap.....I dont wana come back from vacation and need a vacation - defeats the purpose.... it depends on what you want out of a cruise....

I love NCL...

:) :) :) :) :)

Xelcaz ~

Loved your review...quite entertaining:)

I agree..a cruise is to relax.

Regarding the AC/AF for family. I think you are mistaken...you would need an AB - two bedrooms.

AC/AF only for 2 passengers.

AB will provide you with a butler and concierge which you will love.

Hot breakfast in your room...no buffet;) etc., etc., etc.

We love the Dawn.

Happy cruising:)

Archived