How do I rent a car in Halifax/Saint John?

We have been to Halifax twice and have gone touring with Jonathan both times. He is absolutely wonderful! Not only is he knowledgeable, but so polite and nice, a true gentleman. He is truly a a fine person and a friend that I will cherish forever! I don't think anyone will ever go wrong booking tours with him. He will adjust to any place you would like to go, his suggestions are just that...suggestions. If you would like to go somewhere else. just let him know and he will get you there. He always got us back to the ship with time to spare! There ought to be more Jonathan's giving tours!

Rental agencies in this market offer 200 KM in your rental for the day.

As a Saint Johner I would say do not rent a car unless you plan to drive to St. Martin's. Everything you should see here can be seen on foot - and thats more economical than a car. If you ask whether you should hang out in Saint John where the ship docks or drive to other areas, I would recommend just staying in the historical neighborhood where the ship docks - more than enough to fill your day.

If you are going to rent a car, definately book it ahead. Almost all the same rental companies in the U.S. are in Canada and you can check the websites to see if you can pick up in Halifax. All the smaller cars, the cheaper rentals, are the ones to go first for day trippers. The first year we cruised we rented a car at Disneyworld to drive over to Cocoa Beach to meet our ship and hubby didn't want me to book it ahead of time. He now calls that the world's most expensive car rental because all they had left were large SUV vans. I made him have his photo taken posing with it for posterity. :o We've rented ahead the last two times for cheaper than the cruiseline's shuttles.

We just returned about 10 days ago from a Princess cruise to the area you are asking about. We had a rental car in St. John--Avis is across the street and down about a block. It couldn't have been easier. If you rent with Avis, put this # B021615 in the AWD box for a discount. We drove to St. Andrews-by-the Sea. It was a nice drive, but unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate, so not as pleasant as hoped. There is a nice garden to visit there, also, but again because it was raining, we didn't go. In Halifax, we didn't rent a car, but walked to the Maritime Museum and then rode the free FRED bus on it's tour. It will take you to the fort, and give you a small view of the city. Caution: We were trying to use it as a sight-seeing bus, and found that too many people know about it and use it and it's so crowded that you have no view. If you stop in Sydney, I recommend renting a car from Budget or Hertz as they have offices in the town (others are at the airport which is much further). We drove to Baddeck and went through the Alexander G. Bell museum. It was a lovely day, and we had beautiful views and leaf color.

Archived