ok- another newbie question!!

lovetexas

i know this might sound silly, but i was wondering what you do with your stuff when you take exercusions? like if you do a water adventure- where do you put your money, camera,towel, or whatever else you bring- also do you leave stuff on the bus?:confused: :confused:

hello,

Sometimes you can leave articls of clothing such as a sweater or a jacket on the bus, depending on the guidelines set by the excursion people. The key is to take as little as possible. You will need your ship access card and picture ID to get back on the ship. A good idea is to open a separate credit card for cruises only, that is, to be used for purchases while on your cruise.

Another idea is to get some type of passport holder for your ship access card and some form of picture ID (but do not take your passport off the ship!).

Hope that this helps.

Fred

When we are on excursions, or just going to the beach on our own, we put our valuables in our water wallets. Here is a picture of one that you can purchase from CC: safe.jpg

We put our ID, DL (if needed for reboarding), copy of our passpords, and our $$. Some people use double ziplocks safety-pinned into a swimsuit pocket.

If we are going into the water, we bring disposable underwater cameras. We like the Fuji that you can purchase cheaply at stores like Walmart.

We only bring our digital camera if we are going on a land excursion, or on a boat excursion where people could not walk off with it.

Hope this helps!

what about kids? do i have to carry their birth certificates off the ship? they obviously don't have driver's licenses, and it's not required yet for them to have passports. they're quite young...

what about kids? do i have to carry their birth certificates off the ship? they obviously don't have driver's licenses, and it's not required yet for them to have passports. they're quite young...

Another idea is to get some type of passport holder for your ship access card and some form of picture ID (but do not take your passport off the ship!).

Sorry to be somewhat OT, but since the OP is a self-professed newbie, he should know that your advice about not taking the passport off the ship is not universally followed. There are many people who feel that you should always carry your actual passport when in a foreign country. It's a personal decision, with pros and cons on both sides. If the OP wants to read an extended discussion concerning this, try this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427348

Sorry to be somewhat OT, but since the OP is a self-professed newbie, he should know that your advice about not taking the passport off the ship is not universally followed. There are many people who feel that you should always carry your actual passport when in a foreign country. It's a personal decision, with pros and cons on both sides. If the OP wants to read an extended discussion concerning this, try this link:

Well that is a problem then for foreign cruisers since the ships take and keep their passports until the cruise ends usually.

Well that is a problem then for foreign cruisers since the ships take and keep their passports until the cruise ends usually.

You're right about that. That's why some people actually insist on getting their passports back when they leave the ship. The ship has no legal right to hold onto your passport throughout the cruise if you ask for it back.

As I said, this is a debate with no single right answer. Different people have to base their decision on the risks associated with the two scenarios - taking the actual passport or not.

When we were in Nassua and went to get back on the ship, they just asked for my ID, but I had made sure to have both kids (9 & 13) passports. Mmmm, maybe I should have let them stay there?:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I am also a first time cruiser so maybe I don't have a right to say anything but here is my opinion anyway.

There is no way I'm getting off that ship without my original passport. What happens if while on shore a medical emergency comes up or heaven forbid, we miss our ship. Without a passport I cannot fly back to the US and get in the country. The Dept of State said they would not accept a photocopy of the passport and the original won't do me any good if it is in the ships safe, sailing around the ocean while I am trying to get a plane back to the US. That's just my opinion.

Mike S.

I am also a first time cruiser so maybe I don't have a right to say anything but here is my opinion anyway.

There is no way I'm getting off that ship without my original passport. What happens if while on shore a medical emergency comes up or heaven forbid, we miss our ship. Without a passport I cannot fly back to the US and get in the country. The Dept of State said they would not accept a photocopy of the passport and the original won't do me any good if it is in the ships safe, sailing around the ocean while I am trying to get a plane back to the US. That's just my opinion.

Mike S.

You have every right to express your opinion regardless of how many cruises you've been on. I happen to agree with your opinion but not everybody does.

Archived