What about Westerdam?

putte

Hello

I´m from Sweden and I´m a huge cruise ship fan. I have never been on a real cruise if you don’t count mini cruises between Sweden-Finland in Scandinavia. But this summer I will try my wings on a real cruise.

But here is the thing, I have a big passion for photographing, mainly cruise ship photographing. Two years ago the beautiful ship Westerdam visited Stockholm a couple of times during the summer. I LOVED her from the start. Sadly she is not visiting us anymore. Instead there is Veendam and Rotterdam visiting us. I wonder why?

Has someone here cruised to Sweden, Stockholm? Can someone tell me how they feel t about Westerdam.

Yesterday I found some really nice pictures of Westerdam when she visited Stockholm 2 years ago.

At www.shipimage.com can you find nice pictures in the Gallery/cruise ship section. I little help on the way, if you double click the pictures they get bigger.

Hello

Hello Putte,

Yes I have been to Sweden and did so on a cruise ship. The archipegalo remains one of my all time favorite cruise memories. Probably unlike most cruise ship passengers, with limited time in your fine port city, we opted to ride the subway and view the world's longest art exhibit. We were also thrilled that there was someone at each stop who could talk about the art and do so, in many languages. It's a real treasure trove.

Now back to the Westerdam and other HAL ships. I have sailed her but personally prefer the Rotterdam and Veendam because they are smaller and more charming. From a photographer's perspective, I also think the lines and angles are better than the Westerdam. I would not hesitate to sail either one.

The Westerdam is newer but as we all know, newer does not necessarily mean better. HAL rotates ships in Europe, each summer. So many of us are looking forward to the inaugrual season of the Eurodam, in 2008.

We were on the Westerdam when it visited Stockholm in Sep 2005 ... which we loved, and wished we could have seen for more than one day!

Personally, I like the Vista ships better, but my wife prefers the smaller R and S class. The larger ships are fine for large-port itineraries, such as Baltic or Mediterranean cruises, but for the Caribbean or Alaska I think the smaller ships are better suited. I think you'll love most any HAL ship you choose! :)

Archived