Rum Point, Seven Mile Beach, Stingray Questions

CruiseDiva0319

Our group of 10 (adults and teenagers) wants to spend our day at Grand Cayman on Seven Mile Beach. I've read good reviews of Rum Point, also. Are these two beaches close to each other, and which do you recommend? What are the differences between the two?

Can we do a stingray excursion and still have several hours of the afternoon to spend on the beach? Our ship arrives at 9:00 a.m. and leaves at 5:30 p.m.

Seven Mile and Rum Point are far apart and it's quite the trek to Rum Point!

The differences in the beaches are that Seven Mile is the "hotel zone" where Rum Point is ..just a beach. A gorgeous beach and a busy beach as tourists visit all the time, but you don't have the tourists AND the vacationers from the hotels all in the same place at the same time. Rum Point has a couple restaurants and a little bar and a few souvineer shops..It's beautiful..This is a picture we took of the Rum Point Pier in August

rumpointah4.jpg

Stingray City isn't too far from the docks and if you're lucky enough to have a whole day ( I can't wait till August when I've got 12 whole days booked!) You can do Stingray City and still have time for the beach.

Another note or two about Rum Point... the water is fairly shallow (a few feet deep) for a ways out, it's not a good place to snorkle and it will cost you either a car rental or upwards of $100 for a taxi (roundtrip). I've heard it is a WONDERFUL place to go to, but it does take planning. We'll be in the Caymans in February and are debating on making this trip too...

GOOD LUCK!

Rum Point is really gorgeous. I was there this summer with NativeWay as part of our excursion. We were only there for about 1 1/2 hours, but it would be a great place to relax the day away. And that's pretty much all there is to do - relax. No water toys like in Coz, just beautiful Caribbean sea, hammocks and lounges, a nice little "restaurant" (you eat on the beach, not inside) with good food and a good bar (but beware, the beer is expensive IMO). The souvenier shop is so-so, but if all you're after is a refrigerator magnet or a T-shirt it'll do. If you're looking to relax, eat & drink you'll love it; if you're looking for more "action", you may get bored after a while. I'd go again in a minute!

A great way to see Stingray City is through Capt. Marvin's Watersports. They were established in 1951, and they work very well with the cruise schedules. My wife found them online while trying to find out what there was to do in Grand Cayman.

We got to snorkle in two different areas. And then we spent quite a while in Stingray City. The boat had plenty of seating. Water and punch was also provided.

Have a fantastic cruise.

Sparky

Thanks everyone. We found out that the Ferry to Rum Point is not operating, and we didn't want to rent a car. So we are doing the Waverunner/Stingray excursion that will take us to Rum Point for a short time. At least we will get to see it. Then we will spend the afternoon on Seven Mile. We still need to figure out a good location on Seven Mile to go where we can rent chairs and have access to a great beach.

Chrissy,

Here is the link for the waverunner/stingray excursion.

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/StingrayCityWaveRunner.htm

When you get off the ship you take a taxi to a resort. From there you ride waverunners to Stingray City where you feed and swim with the stingrays. Then you ride to Rum Point and then back to the resort. I believe the excursion is approximately 2 hours.

Archived