Back from the 12/31/06 Mariner

We just returned from the 12/31 Mariner, and had a wonderful time! It truly was one of our best vacations ever. Loved the ship and staff, things really could not have been more perfect. Ship was in great condition, and can't wait to sail on her again. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions!

We were on the ship with you, had a great time, thought Phil Munroe did a wonderful job as stand in CD, Whoop Whoop, Becky should be starting back work today, but Phil well deserves to be given a CD job of his own.

Spent a lot of time in the Wig and Gavel, Jimmy Blakemore was very good.

Ship was full, but didn't feel crowded at all, usual short wait for elevators at peak times, but that was all. No shortage of deck chairs either.

Great way to spend the New Year

It was the Western Itinerary. Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The only shore excursion we did was Dunn's River/Ocho Rios highlights. Enjoyed it. Cozumel we took a taxi to the Forum Shops and then to a beach (Playa Azul maybe? it was just a few miles from the Forum Shops).

I agree that Phillip did a great job as CD. Anyone know what his usual position is on the ship? I was disappointed we did not have Becky, as I've read such great things about her.

The ship did not seem too crowded. We actually really liked being on the larger ship, and would love to cruise on Freedom or Liberty sometime.

It was the Western Itinerary. Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. The only shore excursion we did was Dunn's River/Ocho Rios highlights. Enjoyed it. Cozumel we took a taxi to the Forum Shops and then to a beach (Playa Azul maybe? it was just a few miles from the Forum Shops).

I agree that Phillip did a great job as CD. Anyone know what his usual position is on the ship? I was disappointed we did not have Becky, as I've read such great things about her.

The ship did not seem too crowded. We actually really liked being on the larger ship, and would love to cruise on Freedom or Liberty sometime.

Phil told us that he is Becky's assistant, but is not normally in the limelight, when Becky broke her rib, she told him, Get Out There, and do it. Becky was still on board, but resting

Thanks for the post. We are sailing on the mariner for the first time next Sunday. We will also be doing the western. Were there many kids on board? We are hoping for plenty of playmates for DS 12 and DD 10, but not sure since it is not a vacation week. Also, do you or anyone else know if I can pack scissors in checked bags? Thanks.

yes you can bring scissors, both in carry-on or checked. it's not like a plane.

my kids liked the 11 year old group better. they were 11 and 12 turning 13. you can sign them in to be able to come and go as they please if you like. what my older daughter didn't like was the fact that they didn't have much planned. It was here's a place to hang, have fun. however the 11 year old said they had lots of stuff to do.. check it out when you get there and see how your kids react. it can be changed once.

Well I was on the cruise too and had some differing views. First of all there were approx 1,000 passengers under the age of 18. Mostly well behaved but not all of their parents were.

For examples, large parties with kids were in the Solarium "adults only" pool area several days and when security tried to get them to leave they argued and refused! Kids in the solarium jacuzzi s, adults yelling, bringing huge glass containers of food to the pool, blocking aisles with strollers, etc. People bringing babies to Wig N gavel at midnight, teens using the elevators for entertainment, kids yelling at the staff on the tenders, adults "saving" lounge chairs in the solarium area and leaving for hours, etc.

The staff seemed overwhelmed. Deck patrol people did nothing to help you find a lounge chair or remove babies from solarium (adults only) pool. My daughter was at guest relations once and heard a staff member tell another staff member quite loudly "I just don't care what happens" referring to helping a guest's problem.

Cabin steward was worse I ever had. Did not make up room while we were at dinner the first night. New Year's eve--and no ice! When called I was told my room steward was "off duty" to call room service!! Same thing my daughter was told when she called and requested a simple bar of soap! Next day I had to call at 5 pm to ask the to make up my kids' room after we had been in port on a tour the entire day!! This cabin steward would knock on the door in the evening and say "you don't need anything do you?" She didn't really "clean" anything--just clean towels and make the bed. Mold in the corners of our shower.

RCL does not give: lotion, q-tips, shower caps, etc like any hotel. They give you one bar of soap for the shower and sink and expect it to last all week.

Another example of poor guest relations. I brought five internet coupons to the desk (as instructed.) I filled out each passengers name but the person on duty changed them all to my husband's name since he was paying the bill. Then when we got our final bill and they didn't deduct any charges we were told

1) charges had already been deducted (they hadn't)

2)then told they could only take one coupon for my husband since they all had his name on it (changed by their staff!)

My daughter asked them to fix the problem and they got very snippy and said "don't talk to me with that attitude!" She is a very polite 26 year old woman.

After much hassle they fixed the problem, but be very careful with your bill if you expect them to honor their coupons.

This was our second time on the Mariner. First time was during Katrina and with far fewer children service was much better. Spoke with someone who was doing their 5th Mariner cruise who summed it up with "we had the 'b' or 'c' staff this week.

Food in main dining room was so-so. No meal was esp. good, although adequate and I wouldn't really complain (who needs to gain 10 lbs?) Our waiter and asst waiter were excellent and eager to please. But every night some dumb waiter show where they would be singing and dancing--pleazzz. The last night they were singing for their tips- pathetic and took away from the service--waiters were clearly torn between waiting tables and their dog and pony show and I felt sorry for them. I think anybody would have preferred some lovely live music instead.

We have been on over 35 cruises over the past 30+ years. Compared to Princess or Celebrity the service was second rate. It kind of felt like fend for yourself. IMHO The food is also better on Princess and Celebrity, although this is really subjective and someone else might like RCL's food better. In any case, I was never hungry and enjoyed the meals. The atmosphere in the main dining rooms is simply beautiful, but could be greatly enhanced by live music.

As far as the ship goes, there are few that compare with the Mariner. It is just gorgeous, lively and fun. My complaints certainly don't mean that the cruise wasn't wonderfully fun, there is so much to do on the Mariner I couldn't imagine not having a fantastic time. But there are so many little touches they could have done to lend to that pampered feeling that cruising should have. I would sail on the Mariner again, I've done enough cruises to realize that no line gets it perfect and certainly the whole experience of the Mariner makes it worth sailing on.

One last thing--the morning of departure my 26 year old daughter woke up with horrible food poisoning --vomiting and diarrhea. We had to use a wheelchair to get her off of the ship. I couldn't help but think that the sloppy cabin housekeeping contributed to that--first time in all my years of cruising anybody in my party has gotten food poisoning. I pity the poor person who took the cabin after she left knowing how sloppy the "cleaning" would be before the next occupant.

Shappy, Sorry to here all the problems you had with the staff. What room were you in?

Well I was on the cruise too and had some differing views. First of all there were approx 1,000 passengers under the age of 18. Mostly well behaved but not all of their parents were.

For examples, large parties with kids were in the Solarium "adults only" pool area several days and when security tried to get them to leave they argued and refused! Kids in the solarium jacuzzi s, adults yelling, bringing huge glass containers of food to the pool, blocking aisles with strollers, etc. People bringing babies to Wig N gavel at midnight, teens using the elevators for entertainment, kids yelling at the staff on the tenders, adults "saving" lounge chairs in the solarium area and leaving for hours, etc.

The staff seemed overwhelmed. Deck patrol people did nothing to help you find a lounge chair or remove babies from solarium (adults only) pool. My daughter was at guest relations once and heard a staff member tell another staff member quite loudly "I just don't care what happens" referring to helping a guest's problem.

Cabin steward was worse I ever had. Did not make up room while we were at dinner the first night. New Year's eve--and no ice! When called I was told my room steward was "off duty" to call room service!! Same thing my daughter was told when she called and requested a simple bar of soap! Next day I had to call at 5 pm to ask the to make up my kids' room after we had been in port on a tour the entire day!! This cabin steward would knock on the door in the evening and say "you don't need anything do you?" She didn't really "clean" anything--just clean towels and make the bed. Mold in the corners of our shower.

RCL does not give: lotion, q-tips, shower caps, etc like any hotel. They give you one bar of soap for the shower and sink and expect it to last all week.

Another example of poor guest relations. I brought five internet coupons to the desk (as instructed.) I filled out each passengers name but the person on duty changed them all to my husband's name since he was paying the bill. Then when we got our final bill and they didn't deduct any charges we were told

1) charges had already been deducted (they hadn't)

2)then told they could only take one coupon for my husband since they all had his name on it (changed by their staff!)

My daughter asked them to fix the problem and they got very snippy and said "don't talk to me with that attitude!" She is a very polite 26 year old woman.

After much hassle they fixed the problem, but be very careful with your bill if you expect them to honor their coupons.

This was our second time on the Mariner. First time was during Katrina and with far fewer children service was much better. Spoke with someone who was doing their 5th Mariner cruise who summed it up with "we had the 'b' or 'c' staff this week.

Food in main dining room was so-so. No meal was esp. good, although adequate and I wouldn't really complain (who needs to gain 10 lbs?) Our waiter and asst waiter were excellent and eager to please. But every night some dumb waiter show where they would be singing and dancing--pleazzz. The last night they were singing for their tips- pathetic and took away from the service--waiters were clearly torn between waiting tables and their dog and pony show and I felt sorry for them. I think anybody would have preferred some lovely live music instead.

We have been on over 35 cruises over the past 30+ years. Compared to Princess or Celebrity the service was second rate. It kind of felt like fend for yourself. IMHO The food is also better on Princess and Celebrity, although this is really subjective and someone else might like RCL's food better. In any case, I was never hungry and enjoyed the meals. The atmosphere in the main dining rooms is simply beautiful, but could be greatly enhanced by live music.

As far as the ship goes, there are few that compare with the Mariner. It is just gorgeous, lively and fun. My complaints certainly don't mean that the cruise wasn't wonderfully fun, there is so much to do on the Mariner I couldn't imagine not having a fantastic time. But there are so many little touches they could have done to lend to that pampered feeling that cruising should have. I would sail on the Mariner again, I've done enough cruises to realize that no line gets it perfect and certainly the whole experience of the Mariner makes it worth sailing on.

One last thing--the morning of departure my 26 year old daughter woke up with horrible food poisoning --vomiting and diarrhea. We had to use a wheelchair to get her off of the ship. I couldn't help but think that the sloppy cabin housekeeping contributed to that--first time in all my years of cruising anybody in my party has gotten food poisoning. I pity the poor person who took the cabin after she left knowing how sloppy the "cleaning" would be before the next occupant.

Archived