Going to Tulum on Own

JWT

My wife and I are on The Splendour of the Seas into Cozumel on Feb 19th. Dock at 7am and sail at 7pm. We would like to visit Tulum and while there do a bit of swimming. We are not too worried about going it alone so would consider the ferry and local transport from PDC to Tulum (Collectivo/local bus). Can you give us some advice as this will be our first time in Cozumel. Can we rely on collectivo/bus?

Thank you for your help.

Can't advise you on the ferry part, but my daughter just did the Playa del Carmen to Tulum trip by colectivo a few days ago. (She was on board Carnival's Imagination, which docked at Calica.) It worked out great, she said, and was inexpensive. More information from another traveler here:

http://www.iloveplaya.com/collectivos.php

jafrogg, I will be on the Imagination in April. I also am looking into maybe doing Tulum on our own. You say your daughter said it was pretty easy & inexpensive. Once you get to Tulum, i would think it takes about an hour or so to look around,enjoy the beach a litlle. After you are done, is it just as easy to get back to Playa?Would love any info you could share here, thanks, jaxson:)

• 2 weeks later...

From the ferry dock in PDC, the main bus station is just across the large plaza and diagonal to the right. You can get a ticket, and they have scheduled busses leaving frequently. It was cheap and easy. You will want an hour or two at Tulum. Coming home you can just stand at the edge of the main highway and flag down a bus. You shouldn't have to wait long. Tulum was beautiful, and you can swim from the tiny but beautiful beach. We held up towels for each other to change, as we weren't wearing our suits! There were loads of iguanas there when we visited. They were really cool.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a little nervous about getting the ride back from Tulum. How difficult is it to flag down a collectivo on the side of the road? Are there scheduled times? Also, how long from Playa to Tulum? Isn't it quite a distance from where you are dropped off to Tulum? I thought I read there was transportation available? Know it's cheaper going on your own but how much cheaper? See that Carnival is offering a tour for $59 per person but it's 5 hours. If it only takes an hour to see Tulum, that's quite a long time unless it's a long ways to Tulum.

Thanks!

I was on the Norwegian Sea and docked in Cozumel on Feb. 23rd, took the ferry across to Playa de Carmen and rented a car from National Car Rentals a few minutes walk from the ferry terminal, cost about $75 USD for a Jeep (less if you rent a smaller car) and $20 USD for gas to go down to Tulum, insurance was included. Highly recommended if your independently minded and want to do this on your time schedule and don't want to wait for public transportation. The road down to Tulum is good and quite safe and takes about 45-60 min. Parking lot at Tulum is also safe and costs $5 USD. Another alternative is to take a taxi from Playa de Carmen.

I'm a little nervous about getting the ride back from Tulum. How difficult is it to flag down a collectivo on the side of the road? Are there scheduled times? Also, how long from Playa to Tulum? Isn't it quite a distance from where you are dropped off to Tulum? I thought I read there was transportation available? Know it's cheaper going on your own but how much cheaper? See that Carnival is offering a tour for $59 per person but it's 5 hours. If it only takes an hour to see Tulum, that's quite a long time unless it's a long ways to Tulum.

Thanks!

Getting a bus or Collectivo back from Tulum to Playa is dead simple. The Collectivos run about every 10 minutes - when you see one coming just stand out on the edge of the highway and wave. Buses can also be flagged down. The Collectivos and buses will take you right into Playa just a short walk from the ferry docks. The collectivos cost about $2-3 per person - one way (DO NOT PAY MORE but try to have exact change if using U.S. dollars). The ride from Tulum to Playa takes about 45-50 minutes - so if you have to take the ferry back to Cozumel allow PLENTY of time and make sure you know the ferry schedule. If you are going to do this:

Get the earliest ferry you can from Cozumel to Playa. In Playa get a bus or Collectivo right away to Tulum - there are always Collectivos waiting.

On the return trip BE VERY SURE, you know the ferry schedule and DO NOT time yourself to take the last "possible" ferry.

Thanks for the information...makes me feel a little better. How much is the cost to get into Tulum?

If memory serves me correctly - it was 38 pesos (about $4) and you need EXACT change in U.S. dollars or bring some pesos (they will give change for pesos but not for dollars). BRING bottled water. The ruins are very hot and there is NO refreshment inside the ruins.

Thanks Zeno for the information - sounds like a cheap tour on your own compared to Carnival's price!! Are there restrooms at Tulum?

Thanks!

It is a huge bargain. One just has to be very careful about timing.

I am not sure of the current washroom situation. The first time I went to Tulum there were washrooms just before you entered the ruins. HOWEVER the last time I was there, these washrooms were out-of-commission - don't know if temporary or permanent. There are definitely washrooms back at the shopping area by the highway. I would use those first - just in case.

Archived