Scuba at Private Islands (Half Moon Cay etc.

Tuckster

HAL used to offer a 1 tank scuba dive excursion on Half Moon Cay, but has discontinued it. The diving wasn't all that great, so participants were underwhelmed. Other than not offering diving, HMC is absolutely beeeauuutiful, perhaps the nicest warm water beach I've been to, and I've been to a few nice ones.

Princess doesn't offer scuba diving at Princess Cays either and the beach there isn't nearly as nice as HMC.

I think Disney offers a dive excursion at their private island.

I kind of feel like you do about not wanting to choose an itinerary that stops at non-diving islands, however after visiting HMC, I'd definitely want to return there even if I don't get to dive.

I will not go on a cruise that stops in Jamaica, partly because of the poor diving there. I'd also try to avoid St. Maarten if I was trying to find excellent diving.

I'd also try to avoid St. Maarten if I was trying to find excellent diving.

why not st martin? i askk only because i was planning a trip forr my 11 yr old to little bay to dive a sunken sub?:confused:

I'd also try to avoid St. Maarten if I was trying to find excellent diving.

why not st martin? i askk only because i was planning a trip forr my 11 yr old to little bay to dive a sunken sub?:confused:

Because my diving experience there was very uninspiring. All the dive sites are out in the open ocean, which makes them very weather dependent. If you are there on a day with active seas, the boat ride to the dive site will be unpleasant, the site itself is likely to have quite a bit of surge, and getting back on the boat won't be fun or easy. The day I was there, there were 6-8 ft swells, so it may be that the diving there can be decent if the ocean was very calm, but I'd kind of doubt it.

Carnival also has discontinued their one tank dive at Half Moon Caye. I found out once I boarded the ship. Bruce is right in that it is an amazing place and is definately not a day wasted. I've never been to any of the other private islands.

We have found the diving experiences with large cruise ships to be kind of disappointing. If diving is one of your major goals, try the Paul Gaugin in Tahiti, it was wonderful! The private island motu in tahiti is the best I have ever done. I wasn't a diver when we sailed Windstar, but I have heard their diving is good.

Joyce

We did a dive on Royal Caribbean's private island, Coco Cay. I enjoyed the (one-tank) dive, but it definitely had nothing on other dives that we've done. For what it was, it was pretty reasonably priced (I think it was like $60). We loved Coco Cay itself and would not mind returning. It was beautiful there!

Archived