Taking the PATH into NYC - any advice

LastMinuteGirl

Hi,

I was on the NCL Dawn in July and drove from Western PA to Harrison, NJ, parked there, and took the PATH in to Manhatten WTC, and then took a cab to the pier.

This worked semi-well. First off, Harrison was not a handicap-acess station, and I had to carry my luggage up the steps. Secondly, the parking lot in Harrison was not very close to the station. Other than that it worked well. I didn't have to drive into Manhatten (I'm scared of the tunnels!) or park my car at the pier for more than double the rate.

But overall, I think it was good. Here's the thing, does anyone have any tips for improving this process?

I'd like a station with parking connected to the station where I can leave my car for the entire 9 days, and come back and pick it up on a Saturday. (Someone has to be working in the lot on Saturday around noon). I'd also like a station with an elevator. Is Newark my best bet? If not, where?

Also, should I get off at 33rd street instead of WTC? My cab took 45 minutes to get from WTC up the ramp to the pier (20 minutes trying to get into the pier and up the ramp).

Is there a better way? I own a porter case luggage, so it all stacks together on one set of wheels and is easy to pull. I can take quite a bit of luggage easily and just pull on the porter case. So as long as I don't have to do steps, I'm good on "carrying" my own luggage.

Thanks for any tips,

LastMinuteGirl

How about taking AMtrak from Pittsburg or Harrisburg? then you don't have to drive at all. To Penn Station New York which is hnadicap accessable to a cab to the terminal. Or Greyhound to the Port Authority Bus terminal and then a cab as well....It is so much easier to drive all the way and park at the cruise terminal than hassle the path or NJ transit or at least take mass transit all the way.

Hi,

I was on the NCL Dawn in July and drove from Western PA to Harrison, NJ, parked there, and took the PATH in to Manhatten WTC, and then took a cab to the pier.

This worked semi-well. First off, Harrison was not a handicap-acess station, and I had to carry my luggage up the steps. Secondly, the parking lot in Harrison was not very close to the station. Other than that it worked well.

... does anyone have any tips for improving this process?

I'd like a station with parking connected to the station where I can leave my car for the entire 9 days, and come back and pick it up on a Saturday. (Someone has to be working in the lot on Saturday around noon). I'd also like a station with an elevator. Is Newark my best bet? If not, where?

Also, should I get off at 33rd street instead of WTC? My cab took 45 minutes to get from WTC up the ramp to the pier (20 minutes trying to get into the pier and up the ramp).

Is there a better way? I own a porter case luggage, so it all stacks together on one set of wheels and is easy to pull. I can take quite a bit of luggage easily and just pull on the porter case. So as long as I don't have to do steps, I'm good on "carrying" my own luggage.

Thanks for any tips,

LastMinuteGirl

LastMinuteGirl,

I live about 12-15 miles west of Manhattan, in New Jersey, & frequently ride the PATH trains as well as New Jersey Transit trains. I'm not sure about the parking situation at any of the stations, as I leave the car at home & walk to the local train station or bus stop. I knew someone who used to park at Harrison & commute to New York by PATH from there. However, personally I'd be a bit apprehensive about leaving my car in Newark for any length of time, even though I guess the lots/garages must have some kind of security.

That said--if you take PATH, you'd be better off taking the train to 33rd Street than to the World Trade Center, if only because you'll end up considerably closer to the Upper West Side piers. Mind you, the area around the 33rd Street station (i.e., Broadway & 33rd Street) is usually quite crowded. There is an elevator up to street level, if you want to avoid the stairs. Presumably you'd be able to hail a taxi from there. (There are zillions of taxis around, but the trick is to find an empty one.)

As Boilermom suggests, a New Jersey Transit train into New York Penn Station may be a more convenient option. But again, I don't know which station(s) at the other end would have the best parking arrangements for you. I assume you drive in on Route 80. There may be a convenient station accessible from Route 80 further west, so that you don't have to drive all the way into Newark to make a train connection. Check the NJ Transit website, http://www.njtransit.com -- then click on Rider Guide, & then Park & then Station | Park & Ride Guide. This might have some helpful information. (NB: Not all lines run on weekends!)

Hope this is useful.

Archived