GROUCHY! A couple more ?? about Capilano Canyon!

sarahjane

Hey Grouchy! Thanks for the info you've provided in the past regarding Vancouver and Capilano Canyon.

I'm wondering about the suspension bridge. My DH has an issue with equilibrium that prevents him from going on certain amusement rides, etc. I'm not sure how the bridge will affect him. Does it swing or sway very much as you cross it? If he decides he should not try it, is there an alternate route across?

Also wondering if there is a long line to wait in before you get to go across, and how many people are on the bridge at one time? I'm afraid I'll get behind some creep who thinks it's fun to jump around and shake the whole thing!! :eek:

Thanks again!

sarahjane

I always thought it swayed gentley-but some people will not. Tell your Dhubs to walk a couple of feet and see if he likes it-if not-then he can get off and take pictures of you on it. There is no other bridge across.

http://www.123vancouver.com/capilano-bridge.htm

There can be many people on the bridge at a time and naughty jerks are watched very carefully.

Buses of kids come here-go as early as possible or a lunch time when everyone is eating.

Thanks for the advice! We will probably not be able to get there until evening or late afternoon because our flight doesn't arrive in Vancouver until 1-ish.

After you cross the bridge, do you cross back over again? Is it a 1-way or 2-way? If we leave my DH behind, how will we get back together? We'd also like to try the new Treetops thing. Which "side" is that on?

Leaving tomorrow morning!! yippeee

sarahjane

other side. So grab him bu the hand and run over the bridge! That way you will be across the bridge before he has time to react! LOL Thats how I did it with mine-it worked! Bought him an ice-cream and he forgave me.LOL

my dh has a bum knee and after walking about 2 feet, he knew he wouldn't make it across. so he went back and took videos of me and our friends walking across. it does tend to sway alot, but i love that feeling. (i am the one who loves when the ship goes through rough waters because i like the awesome swaying feeling-- i know, i am deranged) lol

i am not sure if there is an alternative way to get to the other side. there are 3 walking trails on that other side, all of which are different routes and lengths of hikes.

i hope your dh can go across, because it is a surreal feeling to be in the middle of it.

I'm so looking forward to visiting the Capilano Bridge! In another thread it was mentioned that you could take the city buses. Vancouver is such a wonderful city, but I have heard it mentioned that there are areas that you don't want to go to by mistake. I'm a country girl and have never used public transportation before. Are the buses safe for two women traveling alone? Would it be better/safer to take a cab? Are there companies that offer tours? That might be a better option for us... :confused: Any advice would be gratefully accepted!

sense you use at home-don't wander around at 300am.There are some areas that are kind of seedy,but if you find yourself in a situation,just say loudly"Leave me alone!!". Transit is good and you can sit up by the driver and ask him to let you off at a certain spot.

We just got back from our Alaskan Cruise and spent 1-1/2 days in Vancouver initially. We rented a fabulous new truck from Avis with our Costco membership for next to nothing and drove all around the Park, Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge plus all the way to the ferry harbor. It was fabulous. We went first thing in the morning to the suspension bridge and it was very empty but on the return there were many more people. There's someone there who monitors the bridge and keeps it under control. My daughter suprisingly got more scared doing the tree top adventure bridges after the suspension bridge - or maybe it was a cummulative effect, LOL!

Have a great time!:o

Thank to all for the info on the city buses! My mother and I talked it over and believe that we will be more comfortable with an organized tour, so we will probably go that direction. I found a website that offered tours that combine the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mtn, on bcpassport.com. Have either of you locals heard of them? If so, are they reliable?

I loved visiting Vancouver before my last cruise and can't wait to get back there in Sept!

I went ahead online and made reservations (don't have to pay ahead of time, but pay the driver when he picks us up at our hotel). They replied in the confirmation that it is the West Coast Nature and City Sightseeing Bus (white with red and blue stripes). Have you heard of them?

Just went through their website and found it to be most interesting and enjoyable. I'm probably going to be signing up for the 4 or 5 tours that are listed: Capilano bridge/Grouse Mt.; Victoria; Vancouver; Whistler!!!

Archived