Balcony vs interior

On my one and only cruise (so far) we booked an inside promenade room. This gave us a window at a low price. We absolutely loved the cruise, and I enjoyed looking out the window at all the people!

That being said, my husband really wanted a balcony for our upcoming cruise. He spends more time in the room than I do, so of course I booked a balcony. He wants to spend early mornings drinking our coffee out there, and that sounds pretty good to me! We booked in the off season so we could afford the price difference.

I believe that whichever you book you will have a fabulous time!

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone for all of the input. We did decide to book a balcony. What sold us on it was waking up in the morning and being able to look out onto the ocean. I have NEVER seen it. Sitting on the balcony watching the sun rise or set and discussing what we had/going to do that day sounded like heaven! Besides, I want to spend SOME time in my cabin - after all it is me and my husband -wink!wink! There are some excursions even the cruise ship doesn't offer :)

I would agree with the opinion that an inside is the way to go. The savings could be used for your next trip. The only exceptions are Alaska and Baltic where an outside view is a must as you spend so much time cruising within sight of shore. Two years ago we had a tablemate who worked for a major cruise line who told me about the Alaska exception, and we are glad that we followed his advise last summer.

Most people spend vey little time in their cabins, which are often the same size of the outside one. All the best.

Maybe price an ocean view? Remember, everything you can do with a balcony you can do out on deck (OK, maybe not EVERYTHING)

This is why we opted for an inside cabin based on the advice of 3 friends who've made this cruise on 3 different lines. . We saved $600 that we can now spend on excursions. If the scenery is spectacular, and I expect it will be, I'll be going on deck or to one of the many places on board that have a wide open view.

I spend more or less 7 hours in the cabin - 1 taking a bath and dressing and the others sleeping...So I don't really care if there is a window or not...:rolleyes: And then I can save money for many other things:)

I am a little claustrophobic so I have to have a balcony, we are actually probably going to move up to a JS soon. My parents had a ocean view last cruise and it wasnt bad, but I like to go out on the balcony and have a drink while she gets ready. Plus I like to sleep with the door open, nothing is more soothing than the sound of the waves.

IMHO there are three main issues in deciding inside/outside/balcony:

1) Claustrophobia - if it really makes you uncomfortable without seeing the outside, then there is no question, inside is not for you, but sometimes its just the fear that you will be claustrophobic, and perhaps the layout of the newer ships may make that less of an issue

2) How much time you spend in the cabin - like the other posters say, if you are the type of people who find enjoyment spending a lot of time in your cabin, then it is worth it.

3) MONEY! Percentage wise, a balcony tends to be anywhere from 30% to 100% above the cost of a basic inside. A lot of cruisers on the board are retired, but there are new cruisers (like myself) who simply would love to cruise but cannot afford the extra expense of getting a balcony or would rather put the money to better use elsewhere. Sure a penthouse would be nice, but I'd rather spend the money on an inside and be able to get onto my next cruise that much faster. Its nice to be independently wealthy and not have to worry about the money. I think this is an important issue. I'm just starting my career...in my 30s...if I was retired in my 60s and hopefully have a lot more financial security...I'd choose a balcony as well...

Good luck to all cruisers! I am going on my first inside at the end of the month to Panama, my second cruise, I got upgraded to balcony 3 years ago on my first cruise, so we'll see how it goes!

:D

Some interesting discussion here. We will be cruising in November and had planned on booking an outside/no balcony room, but now I'm considering the balcony. With our 9-year old daughter along on the trip, it might be nice to have the balcony. If she gets tired and poops out early, we can go on the balcony and have some "Mom & Dad" time. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I'm off on an inside tomorrow for 14 days, will let you know if its claustrophobic!

Yes it is a personal choice, for me the upgrade was 800 per person or 1600 for two of us for two weeks. Given that our price including flight was 2400 each, that is 33% more, which is not a small chunk of change!

Most people prefer balconies, sure it is more luxurious, but what most people don't consider is where you are financially in life. As for me, I'm starting my career, and I could wait longer and cruise with a balcony or I could just go now. I venture to say many of the "balcony gurus" are seasoned cruisers, and/or are more financially set. It is easy for those to say "go for it"...I don't know about the board, but 1600 is a lot of money (I could use it for so many other things, including it representing a good chunk of a potential second cruise!)

Happy cruising whether inside or outside or balcony! :D

It's definitely true that balcony rooms are more expensive and that not everyone can afford to get one. That said however, many of the newer ships are being built with more balcony rooms so these "luxuries" are becoming more standard. Also many cruise lines often offer free upgrades to balconies if the ships are not yet sold out. So first time cruisers don't despair. You don't have to have a huge bank account to get into a balcony. Even pricey Cunard's QM2 is currently offering deals with free balcony upgrades.

We have cruised in inside cabins in the past and it was fine...up until I hit 50 and the dreaded hot flashes started up. The last cruise we did with an inside cabin I was not only hot, I felt like I could not breathe. So, for the next few years, it looks like we'll bite the bullet and pay for the balcony.

We love to leave the door open all night. Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, it was in Alaska, a repo on the Pacific and December in Mexico, all cool outside. I love to sleep in a cold room and fresh air is so much more preferred to air conditioning :)

We have cruised in inside cabins in the past and it was fine...up until I hit 50 and the dreaded hot flashes started up. The last cruise we did with an inside cabin I was not only hot, I felt like I could not breathe. So, for the next few years, it looks like we'll bite the bullet and pay for the balcony.

We love to leave the door open all night. Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, it was in Alaska, a repo on the Pacific and December in Mexico, all cool outside. I love to sleep in a cold room and fresh air is so much more preferred to air conditioning :)

I totally agree. Well, not about the hot flashes :) (I'm 40), but about sleeping with the door open all night. Someone earlier posted about who really spends time in their cabin anyway, so why not an inside? However, like you, we sleep with the door open all night for the fresh air. We REALLY used the balcony since we paid for it. What a great way to wake up each morning, looking out on the balcony in your PJs, with a cup of coffee, eating breakfast from room service. It's also such a nice romantic way to end the evening, cuddling on the balcony, hearing the water below before turning in for the night and sleeping to the natural sounds of the ocean. Can it get any better?

Inside is more stable if near the center of the ship if you are sensitive to motion. Never have been claustrophobic so that's not an issue for me - for you? Also lived near the ocean so having a view of it is no thrill for me - for you? Also here in Texas we would never go to sleep with a screenless window open - you might end up cuddling with critters you do not want to get up close and personal with. :)

I totally agree. Well, not about the hot flashes :) (I'm 40), but about sleeping with the door open all night. Someone earlier posted about who really spends time in their cabin anyway, so why not an inside? However, like you, we sleep with the door open all night for the fresh air. We REALLY used the balcony since we paid for it. What a great way to wake up each morning, looking out on the balcony in your PJs, with a cup of coffee, eating breakfast from room service. It's also such a nice romantic way to end the evening, cuddling on the balcony, hearing the water below before turning in for the night and sleeping to the natural sounds of the ocean. Can it get any better?

Inside is more stable if near the center of the ship if you are sensitive to motion. Never have been claustrophobic so that's not an issue for me - for you? Also lived near the ocean so having a view of it is no thrill for me - for you? Also here in Texas we would never go to sleep with a screenless window open - you might end up cuddling with critters you do not want to get up close and personal with. :)

I totally understand what you mean about living near the ocean. I do too! However, I think that's what makes me love it so much. Having lived my whole life on the coast, and having boats and being in/around the water all my life, it becomes something I really miss. Granted, I could just leave my cabin and go down the hall up on the deck to see the water. :) I suppose it really depends on how much the OP will really use the balcony. Some, as you said, wouldn't find it to be a big deal at all. But if one pays for it, hopefully they'll use it to its extent.

The thing about cuddling with the critters though...hmm...by the way things have been going lately I think we're more likely have a random person falling past our balcony or jumping in for a quick hello on their way down into the ocean! :eek:

My mom and I are leaving for our first cruise next week on the Valor (Cayman Roatan Belize Costa Maya). We splurged for a balcony because 1) we never go on vacation so this was a big thing for us and 2) we are not into the whole jeopardy/conga line/sing along social club thing-we just want to sit somewhere quiet, watch the occasional sea bird fly by, and feel the ocean air-while drinking our smuggled-in wine:) The inside cabins sounded small dark and best for someone who only wants to use it to sleep. I wouldnt say pick the baclony over excursions-we cant wait to get off the boat to go on adventure/beach mode-that to us is the point of a cruise-experiencing multiple countries and environments in a single week! if you can swing both and think you would appreciate the tranquility a balcony would bring then I say do it. If you think you might be spending most of your time out and about, at shows/bar/ect then maybe not.

My mom and I are leaving for our first cruise next week on the Valor (Cayman Roatan Belize Costa Maya). We splurged for a balcony because 1) we never go on vacation so this was a big thing for us and 2) we are not into the whole jeopardy/conga line/sing along social club thing-we just want to sit somewhere quiet, watch the occasional sea bird fly by, and feel the ocean air-while drinking our smuggled-in wine:) The inside cabins sounded small dark and best for someone who only wants to use it to sleep. I wouldnt say pick the baclony over excursions-we cant wait to get off the boat to go on adventure/beach mode-that to us is the point of a cruise-experiencing multiple countries and environments in a single week! if you can swing both and think you would appreciate the tranquility a balcony would bring then I say do it. If you think you might be spending most of your time out and about, at shows/bar/ect then maybe not.

We've done them all. Upgraded to balcony from OV one time, hated the location! Depending on where you will be cruising, balcony over excursions? Hopefully you will be able to re-visit the places where you weren't able to do the excursions! LOL! I think the balconies are beautiful cabins, but I would definitely take into consideration what ports we were going to be visiting and what the weather will be ......We had a rocky two days on our balcony trip, picked up some "bug" on a friends balcony in the canal, would definitely try a balcony in the Caribbean......:)

Is it worth $700 to get a balcony? That's the difference in price between the balcony and an interior room. It would pay for all of our excursions if I give it up, but I have heard that it can make your cruise so much better. So how do I know if it is worth it since I've never been on a cruise. I know everyone has a different opinion but I am hoping for a majority. We are considering Royal Caribbean in March '07 - Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Cayman. This site has been very helpful but I couldn't find any other postings regarding this question!

That is why we ussually cruise in the fall-then the price differance is only around $200 and yes it is worth $200 per person extra.

Another poster had trouble with cigarette smoke blowing from nearby cabins onto the balcony. That would spoil my cruise. I'd rather be inside than breathing smoke instead of sea air. Our last cruise was on Sapphire Princess to Australia & NZ. The weather was cold, windy & wet so the cost of a balcony wouldn't be worth it. Our inside cabin was fabulous with mirrors & lighting which never made us feel we were in a dark box. The bed was really comfortable & we slept like logs

Archived