How many cabins per steward?

I was just wondering if anyone knows on average how many cabins any steward is responsible for. I keep reading that they remember special requests, and remember names, etc. Amazing that they can manage to do that week after week, with new people all the time.

I'm going back a couple years in memory, but we got the opportunity to ask the hotel director on the Adventure when he invited us to dine with him. At that time a good cabin steward could have 14 cabins. If he got any negative comments on the passnger comment card, he could be reduced to 9 cabins until his service improved. Of course this impacts on their income which is mostly from the tips, and gives them the incentive to do better. A cabin attendant could ask another crew member to assist them for which they would pay them out of their earnings. We once had a fabulous lady cabin attendant who did this and as a result she could do more than 14 cabins. Her assistant normally worked somewhere else on the ship and helped her in his off duty hours.

Recently, it seems it is common for them to work in teams, so I imagine they could have more cabins than that. Maybe someone else has more updated info?

SeaBaby

We just returned from 10-night Panama Canal cruise on the Brilliance. I asked our cabin attendant (Raymond) how many cabins he was responsible for, and he said 20! I never saw him work with a team, although I noticed a team working together at the other end of the walkway.

Archived