General questions (Carnival Triumph 10/05)...

alleauna

We are going on our first cruise in October 2005 to the Bahamas via Carnival Triumph. We are so excited! We're waiting this long because of our children's ages. It's crucial to us to be able to keep in touch with them during our trip. I called Sprint yesterday and the man told me that our cell phones should work during the entire cruise. He said they have service in the Bahamas and we should be able to use our phone from the time we debark and during our whole trip. Can anyone give me peace of mind by telling me this is really true?!

Also, regarding Trip Insurance. Carnival offered Trip Protection for $59/person which covers possible trip cancellation, baggage loss, etc. But does it cover anything medically? If it doesn't, do we need additional trip insurance? Since we are only sailing to Freeport and Nassau, should we just check our health insurance first to see if there is even a need for additional trip insurance? I'm very confused on this issue!

We are taking with us a debit card with a set amount of cash in our account for the trip. I am pretty sure I read that we can use the our debit card and the funds in that account for our Sail & Sign card. Is there a set amount of funds in our bank that they HAVE to put a hold on for the Sail & Sign card and, if so, how much is that? How much cash do you recommend bringing along and what for? Can we use our debit card at restaraunts, shops, etc. in the ports? Can we get cash from ATM's or somewhere while in port and/or on the ship?

What is the cost of renting a tux? Do they also rent shoes and accessories, and for how much? We most likely will take hubby's nice dark suit, but I was thinking this other option saves packing and lugging it!

Last thing I can think of is, when you sit down for breakfast/lunch/dinner in the dining rooms, is there some sort of printed menu each day that we can look over and choose from?

Thank you so much for your time and your help! I look forward to learning from you!

:) Shauna

The menu thing I can answer...yes there is a printed menu for each meal in the dining room and in fact it is also posted outside the dining room, so you can check what is for dinner before you order lunch.

Regarding the tux..they do rent on board, but it is fairly expensive and you can probably buy hubby one cheaper on e-bay than renting it on the ship. If he has no further use for it....weddings, etc. a dark suit is more than appropriate. My DH bought his tux for our son's wedding, so he always takes it and grumbles about "dragging all this stuff". :D

You will love the Triumph, we did the Oct. 03 Eastern Caribbean as our 35th Anniversary.

Tuxes rent onboard for under 100.00 you get a tux and 2 shirts. You can preorder it or go to the Formailites and get it there. (they will measure. dont forget to get shoes.)

Cell phones. ask your guy where the towers are located while you are cruising. I have not heard any one being able to use the cell while the ship is sailing but you can use it in the ports. Ask about te roaming charges.

I use a debit card. But my daily limit if $400. so a month before I cruise I ask the bank to lift the $400 charge. If I spent over the 400 limit the bank will refuse the charge and i will be left with paying an bounce fee. As long as you are aware the cruise line will put the amount spent all at once and not on a daily basis,

You can get cash from ATM but the fee is hefty. Take enough cash/travelrs checks with you. You can use the card in shops and resturants but if the amout is small use money. Most small vendors will only deal with cash unless you are making a big purchase.

The dining room is very fancy- you will be seated and the waiter will place your napkin on your lap. You will be handed a menu to chose from. You can also view a menu during the day which will be posted outside the dining room after lunch. You can look at the menu and decide if you want to go to the dining room or elsewhere for dinner.

The buffet you will just see what you want although there is a menu posted outside what is offered.

Host Terri: This cruise on the Triump is going next year..Oct 2005.

She is going to be coming to New York and trading places with the Victory.

I see a few cruises to nowhere on her in June./

Thank you, Mary and Serene, for your replies! :) They were both very helpful!

I really appreciate the heads-up on inquiring about roaming charges. Think we'll call Sprint today about that. I also think we'll find out for sure about any bank limits when using a debit card. Don't think we have a limit, but better safe than sorry!

Hubby did end up calling Carnival yesterday with some of these questions. Here are those answers:

The tux rental is a bit steep in our opinion, even though the $100 does cover everything (tux, shirt, shoes, etc.). We'll be taking hubby's nice dark dress suit with his own snazzy shirt, tie and shoes. :)

The trip insurance does cover medical as well as trip cancellation, lost baggage, etc. That was good news!

There is a minimum amount of money that has to be "secured" on our debit card for our Sign & Sail Card. For a 5-day cruise, the amount is $200 per person. Otherwise, we can use cash or traveler's checks and the amount is up to us. (In that case, any credit remaining on the Sign & Sail Card at the end of the trip is refunded.) We are going to use debit for convenience-sake.

There are ATM's on board and there is a $5.00 charge to use them.

Thanks again for your help! I'm sure I'll "see" you here a lot in the coming months. October 2005 is a LONG way away! :rolleyes:

Shauna

Shauna: If there is any money left on the sign and sail account at the end you will get a check on the last night. That check can be cashed at the pursers desk.

If you call Carnival with questions you can get different answers on the same question so dont hold what those people say. Aks your questions here from people who know. More then likely the people you are talking to at Carnival never took a cruise in their life.

We found very inexpensive travel insurance thru travelsafe. Mine was $40.00 & my roommates was $30.00. It is based on age.

This insurance covers everything from lost luggage, hotel, flight, cruise, medical, accidental, etc.

website is Travelsafe.com

Archived