Caye Caulker on my own - specific questions

sukale10

Hi - 1st time cruising on Carnival Valor Jan21, 2007. Will be me, my hub and 15 mo.old. After reading the boards, thought we'd take the water taxi to Caye Caulker (should be $15 R/T ?) and spend the day there. We'll have drinks, food, towels and our own snorkel gear. Since we have the baby, we'll have to take turns snorkeling off the beach. (Oh, and I"m preg 14 weeks or else we would have left baby with babysitting and gone diving!!!)

Now I tried to read all the boards and the search function is not working, so it was hard to find this - forgive if I"m being redundant...and I don't know the layout of the caye/island...Sounds like there are limited food stands, no rest room amenities - which is all ok - we're pretty low key and should be ok...

Specific questions...

1. Where on Caye Caulkner, what beach, can we set up for the day? (we have a mini pop up tent for the baby so shade is not a problem, although some palm shade would be nice)

2. Where can we just wade in for some snorkeling? Or do we really need to find a local snorkel guide?

3. Does the water taxi accept US currency? Credit card and cash?

4. Are there sand fleas there?

5. Good places for snacks or just wander along the water and check out the food stands on my own?

6. The water taxis take about 45 mins each way to/from CC and the ship port I read. Should I allow for an extra 30 mins for "just in case" so as not to miss the ship?

7. Do you tip the water taxis?

8. Finally, just plan on holding the baby or having her in the carrier - sound ok?

\thanks,

sukale

Archived