costa Rica-windstar suggestions?

javafreek

Just back from the New Years Cruise. Will be posting a more detailed review soon but feel free to email me with any specific ?'s if there is a rush. We definitely have some strong opinions about excursions, transfers etc.

The trip was fantastic. We had an awesome time and our kids loved it(their first cruise ever-they are 24 and 26). There were lots of family groups on this cruise due to the holiday but only one actual "young kid"-who was 10 years old and very well behaved. Costa Rica is a lovely place and the people are so friendly.

Julie- jbschwarz@comcast.net

We did the 12/16 cruise. You're in for a treat.

Packing - lots of shorts and lite shirts - it was HOT. Water shoes for the wet landings - the lighter the better since you'll need to carry them with you on your hikes. Take a waterproof backpack or something you can carry shoes in while you are onshore at the wet landing spots. You might be able to buy some watershoes in the onboard shop if you can't find any before you leave home - they had a good selection on our cruise. Try to find some that stay on your feet well. Several folks watched theirs float away on our trip.

Excursions - definitely do at least one rain forest walk / hike. If you enjoy the beach, Manuel Antonio Park has what is supposed to be the most beautiful beach in Costa Rica. We spent about half an hour in the water and between segments of our walk and it was heavenly.

Several folks on our trip had the idea that they'd see wildlife in the canopy if they did the zipline and they were disappointed. The zipline is great for an adrenaline rush; if you're into wildlife viewing you'll do better elsewhere.

Needed a good bit of sunscreen. Dragged along the insect repellent and could have done with half of what I brought. We only felt we needed to apply it on one excursion (Curu).

Willpower - I think I gained 2 or 3 pounds - way too many of the drink special and all the good food. :)

We saw and heard some howler monkeys on the zipline but it is a DRY forest so if you want to zipline in the rainforest try before or after the cruise. We also saw and heard howlers on Curu. The 9:30 nature hike actually saw them on the ground hissing and being quite angry with the group. on our 7:30 hike we saw some up in the trees and they sound just like jets going by!!

For further "wildlife" sighting be sure to go into the little shop on Tortuga and see Philomena the boar-you can even pet her. We saw lots of scary big crocs at the crocodile river the day the cruise ended. we had a private transfer through Coach Costa Rica and they took us there on our way to Hermosa Beach. There is a neat little coffee bar before you cross over the bridge where we had espresso and purchased Tres Generaciones Coffee which our Costa Rican Friends from San Jose later told us is the BEST in CR(and these folks own a coffee plantation!). Our local friends also took us on a day excursion to the Sarapiqui River where we rafted a class III rapids with Porto Azul outfitters. We saw lovely toucans and many types of herons as we made our way down the 9 miles or so of beautiful river and finished with local style buffet lunch sitting by the river. Porto Azul offers a zipline(goes over the river!)and horseback riding as well.

We took the long way back to San Jose via the La Paz Waterfall and made a quick stop at the La Paz Hummingbird and Waterfall gardens(this really requires 2 hours or so for a full visit and there is an admission fee). Touristy but nice.

Thanks for the tips! DH wants to do the zipline, so hopefully it will be fun even without the wildlife sightings. I, on the otherhand, want to really take in the rainforest experience, so any advice on the best excursions for this would be great.

We usually try to do everything and "forget" to relax on our vacations, so I am trying to find out just the best few excursions to book, and weed out any that we would be just as well exploring on our own.

There's not too many trip reviews on the review page, so if you have been on this cruise I'd love to hear your opinion..

As for the willpower, if I can vow to "taste" everything and not gorge myself on the wonderful food, hopefully I'll be ok :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

was at Marenco, and wasn't an excursion, rather on my own. There's a hiking trail that runs along the west coast of Costa Rica; you can get on this trail very near where the zodiacs bring you to shore. Ask Carlos -- he can direct you (he always knows what you need to know -- what a great resource person he is!). I walked it twice, up to the Rio Claro and back, then again in the afternoon. At that time in January, there were a couple places where it was very muddy, but at the worst point there's an alternate loop that enables you to keep your feet dry. A walking stick is helpful -- there were some suitable sticks along the trail near where I first started walking.

Check my cruise review, now posted on this web site at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=25378.

Also my travel story by photos at http://fredasphotos1.shutterfly.com/action

I loved this trip!

Archived