clothes for Alaska

sweetsly

we are booked for the July 28 north bound Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess--what kind of clothes do we need-light weight jackets or heavier weight?turtle necks, sweater or short sleeve tees?

also, any advice for side trips ?

we are booked for the July 28 north bound Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire Princess--what kind of clothes do we need-light weight jackets or heavier weight?turtle necks, sweater or short sleeve tees?

also, any advice for side trips ?

There is all sorts of info about clothes on the Ports of Call Alaska board. Go there and do a search. Plenty of information is there for you.

Marilyn

Weather can be quite pleasant in Alaska - but can turn cold.

Layering usually works best, and a light windbreaker usually cuts the wind.

I always take a couple of cardigan sweaters also - they come in handy in the chilly dining room and main show lounge aboard ship.

Layering definitely because it can get into the 40s by the glaciers and you can get rain. I took a light jacket, a heavier one, two sweatshirts and long-sleeved shirts and jeans for whenever we were outside. We were given the forecast before the next port so that helped decide what to layer. I would also suggest checking www.accuweather.com a few days before you leave. That helped us decide what to pack because we didn't want to overpack but we didn't want to freeze either.

I definitely reccomend checking out these boards for "what to bring". We cruised there in 2005 and everthing recommended came in handy including the duct tape. Yes..I said duct tape! I packed it because it was on the "must have" list I found on CC. And I ended up with a tear in my formal dress . Well, the duct tape got me through ;) undetected.

As far as clothes..definitley layers. We arrived in port to cold and rainy weather, but by the time we arrived in the Yukon the sun was out and we were down to T-shirts and jeans. Big variances in weather conditions from place to place. Be prepared and ENJOY...it is a beatiful trip that I'd do again in a heartbeat!!!!:D

Dh and I have been to Alaska twice. Once in early July and the second time in late August.

Layers, layers, layers!!!!

We have had weather where we could wear shorts and tees. We have also had weather where a hooded sweatshirt and waterproof jacket were needed - all on the same trip!

Keep in mind you can get sweatshirts anywhere. I still wear the sweatshirt I got on our first Alaska trip 10 years ago.

The only thing I strongly recommend is the hooded zippered sweatshirt for walking around the decks. I was able to use it as a jacket on dry days and as a layer under the waterproof jacket on the wet days. If on deck, you can always go inside and watch the beautiful scenery through large windows.

Enjoy your trip!

As the others have said, layers, layers, layers. Even if you do a land tour, it can be in the 40s or 50s when you get up and the 80s during the day. During the cruise, it can be warm (70s and 80s) during the day but once the ship gets moving, it can be downright chilly on deck or on your balcony. Remember, you're cruising among the glaciers and through ice fields.

I brought a backpack during the day on tours so that I could put my jacket and/or sweater away. Also, don't forget a hat and gloves. If you're going on a glacier tour, you'll need even warmer clothing.

We went to Alaska last May and we were very lucky to not get rain. We had tons of rain gear packed because we were warned that they gets lots of rain. The locals told us how fortunate we were so hopefully you will have some of the same luck! Layers are definitely the way to go. I would try to stay away from jeans if possible. I took some of the Columbia light weight pants and wore thermal underwear underneath and it was great! Also, WARM SHOES! Hats, gloves, scarves are a necessity if you are going through the glaciers. Princess does provide blankets on the pool deck that you can take back to your cabin if you have a balcony room. We also took a back pack to keep a light weight jacket in just in case it did get really cold. I would definitely layer 2 or 3 shirts and have a t-shirt on bottom because there are some days that the sun gets really warm. It's just a toss up. We watched the weather up until the day we left and we were still shocked at some of the things that happened. Just prepare for every kind of weather imaginable and you will be fine. Easier said than done I know! Also, careful on the packing. Watch out for that 50 lb. weight limit! They will get ya every time! :eek:

As most people have told you already, layers.

I layered tanks or tees, covered by a button down shirt, covered by a hoodie, covered by a waterproof windbreaker.

I usually wear jeans and found them perfect.

I debated wearing/bringing hiking boots, but ended up just wearing good sneakers.

We had temps in the 90s in the interior in early July.

As for weight, we mixed and matched a lot.

Down vest and jackets are a good bet. Light to pack and wear and are warm if they get wet.

I always take a good down vest and a Gore Tex jacket to go over it if it is windy or rainy.

Fleece is good also but the wind goes through it so you will need an outer shell also.

I'd also like to suggest a tube of sunscreen...I got one of the worst sunburns I've ever had in Ketchikan, last July! You really never can predict what the Alaskan Weather Goddess may bring. Like everyone else has said: Layers, lightweight pieces, and a rain slicker. Oh, and don't forget to pack the binoculars! You'll love Alaska.

Cheers--

Teri

Check the more appropriate boards as suggested.

One thing for sure.....plan to layer.....one NEVER knows in AK.

CIAO,

Jeez, this is still an appropriate board to ask a question about a Princess cruise.

Layers -- the way to go. You can end up with temps ranging from the 60s to the 80s during the summer. We had 60ish, rainy weather in mid-August. The people who went the week before us had high 70s, sunny.

If you're going on a cruisetour to Fairbanks, it may get warmer.

Don't forget the sunscreen and bug repellent.

Archived